No announcement yet.

The Humble Indie Bundle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also keep in mind that the graph lists % revenue per OS, not the % of sales per OS: http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/05/Linu...-Windows-users

Comment

I bought the bundle last night. It is worth every penny!

If you haven't played World of Goo or Aquaria, you are doing yourself a disfavor. These games are worth the price of the bundle on their own - the rest are just icing to the cake!

World of Goo should run on OSS drivers just fine, provided they offer some form of OpenGL acceleration. I haven't tested Aquaria on OSS drivers, yet, but this might be slightly more problematic. There are a couple of effects that *might* be using shaders which might pose a problem on pre-GL2.1 drivers/cards.

Comment

Now they also start to list the average contribution split by platform. And who would have guessed this, linux users are the ones most generous. Currently (as of "right now") these are the stats:
        Windows: $6.81
        MacOSX: $9.61
        Linux: $13.66
        So regarding the amount of money made Linux is probably rather close to windows even though less than half the amount of Windows users bought the games to run them under Linux.

Comment

Argh, okay, when reading there blog you really see what the pie graph is about. It is in fact about how money contributions are split, not how the platforms are split:
          http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/05/Linu...-Windows-users
          At the moment, we have about 53,500 donations -- far more than we expected! But where did they come from? Our breakdown for number of donations per platform is: 65% Windows, 21% Mac, and 14% Linux. However, when we look at the amount donated per platform, we see something different. Our breakdown for total donation size per platform is 52% Windows, 25% Mac, and 23% Linux. Here are these results in pie chart form:
          But still this is a really great result. Currently with more than $440,000 total raised more than $100,000 are from Linux users. I hope this is incentive for other indie devs to provide binaries for more than just Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by ivanovic View Post
            But still this is a really great result. Currently with more than $440,000 total raised more than $100,000 are from Linux users. I hope this is incentive for other indie devs to provide binaries for more than just Windows.
            Yeah, but hopefully they don't start thinking: "Well, Linux gamers are willing to pay a higher price, so I'll charge more for the Linux-binaries." 'cause I gladly pay some more money in a "pay-what-you-want-action" like this to show my gratitude, but I won't buy a game that's discriminating Linux-users.

Comment

Basically this leads to wrong assumptions that split - as you have to decide which plattform you want that your purchase is counted. Maybe better count downloads. As many have got multiply systems it is certainly the best when you can play the GAME you purchased on all plattforms. I definitely think it is wrong when you have to buy games specific to ONE platform especially when the game itself is multiplattform. Sadly when you want to buy i.e. Penumbra then you have to decide that again - this is definitely the wrong way. As usually only the binary is different this could be done much better. You may think of UT2004, there was the Linux installer directly on the disc. Also lots of opensource games have got precompiled Linux + Win binaries in 1 zip file, its not that hard to do...

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar
                I bought the bundle last night. It is worth every penny!

If you haven't played World of Goo or Aquaria, you are doing yourself a disfavor. These games are worth the price of the bundle on their own - the rest are just icing to the cake!

World of Goo should run on OSS drivers just fine, provided they offer some form of OpenGL acceleration. I haven't tested Aquaria on OSS drivers, yet, but this might be slightly more problematic. There are a couple of effects that *might* be using shaders which might pose a problem on pre-GL2.1 drivers/cards.
                Agreed.

LugaruHD has some performance problems on FOSS ATi drivers, but the other games (including Penumbra) work like a charm.

WoG and Aquaria are great fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  Basically this leads to wrong assumptions that split - as you have to decide which plattform you want that your purchase is counted.
                  This is the question that you answer after getting the confirmation that you bought the bundle:
                  Which platform(s) would you like your contribution to count as, for statistical purposes?
                  In fact you can select >1 platform there. So if you plan to run it on Windows, OSX *and* Linux you are free to select all three or any subset. Yes, I think this is the better solution than just counting the downloads per platform.

Comment

Originally posted by Megagun View Post
                    Also keep in mind that the graph lists % revenue per OS, not the % of sales per OS: http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/05/Linu...-Windows-users
                    Yeah, I'm a little bit miffed about not having the 23%, but 14 isn't bad. It's still far from a negligible share, especially for indies.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                      LugaruHD has some performance problems on FOSS ATi drivers, but the other games (including Penumbra) work like a charm.
                      Only when using the classic-mesa driver. It's running just fine using r300g.

WoG and Aquaria are great fun!
                      Yeah, but Gish is awesome too.

Comment

Working...
                      X