• V!NCENT
    replied
    PS: typo: not call of duty source, but Day of defat source, oops

Leave a comment:

• V!NCENT
    replied
    Originally posted by DeiF View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is Steam?
    Does this makes Windows games work magically in Linux (natively)?
    A little history:
    Some guys working for Microsoft quit their jobs and set up their own game studio; Valve.

Their first game, Half-Life, released after Quake 2, becomes an instant classic. It is probably the most award winning game and easily the best single player fps game ever made after the release of Quake 2.

Later on some people make a multiplayer mod for it called Counter-Strike which skyrocketed in popularity and is untill this day probably the most played multiplayer fps game. Eventualy Valve acquired this mod and started to further develop amd support it.

At some point Steam came. At first it realy sucked as it broke a lot... However it kept everybody up to date and players no longer required the disc, only the Steam account. Steam became awesome over the years.

Then aftef a very long time Valve made a sequel to Half-Life and that was a massive succes too. Then also a this engine had a sort of next itteration of Counter-Strike, which up till this day is still the most popular and most played fps out there. Then came Half-life 2 episode one and two, portal, Team Fortres 2 and Call of duty source. All of them massive hits and all of them use the Source engine.

Later on Valve allowed other publishers onto Steam which is now a full-blown and massively succesfull game platform and had a friend network with instant messaging and voip client for use in Steam games. Steam is also a server app that lists servers which you can add to your favorites and then some.

Today Steam is the holy grail of PC gaming and Valve's games are timeless hits that are still massively played.

If anything, Steam and the Source games will bring gaming to Linux in a heartbeat!

Leave a comment:

• blackshard
    replied
    Originally posted by not.sure View Post
    I like "Kuendigung.pdf".
    I miss the point

Leave a comment:

• Sir_Brizz
    replied
    Originally posted by EarthMind View Post
    Looking it its current state it probably won't be for this year either ...
    It's not that bad off, really.

Leave a comment:

• SolidSteel144
    replied
    Originally posted by EarthMind View Post
    If anything we should see something from them at GDC. Makes perfect sense to me.

Leave a comment:

• EarthMind
    replied

Leave a comment:

• not.sure
    replied
    Originally posted by blackshard View Post
    I still prefer the legs of the model behind that black window
    I like "Kuendigung.pdf".

Leave a comment:

• blackshard
    replied
    Originally posted by dopehouse View Post
    Here is a screenshot:
    I still prefer the legs of the model behind that black window

Leave a comment:

• Sir_Brizz
    replied
    We've gotten the login screen up in #phoronix but without any text of course. We can login thorugh the command line but it doesn't get us any further. The main UI never comes up.

I think Valve is committing common patches between Linux and OSX and not doing any UI work right now.

Leave a comment:

• dopehouse
    replied
    I was getting a step further. I installed Steam via Wine and then copied the file drive_c/Programme/Steam/config/SteamAppData.vdf to the ~/Steam/config/ directory. Be sure, that the "RememberPassword" setting in this file is set to "0" or else Steam SegFaults. If you start the run.sh script now, you get a black window, that should be the Login Window. If you move your cursor around, you notice, that there are two Textboxes for your Steam-Username and Password. If you type in your data blindly, Steam still crashes with this output:
    Code:
    ./steam.sh: Zeile 63: 17401 Segmentation fault      ${DEBUGGER} "${STEAMROOT}"/${PLATFORM}/${STEAMEXE} $@
    If you got problems with Steam cause it tries to detect some server on your gateway address, try to block it with something like this (don't forget to change the IP-address, if you have other netsettings):
    Code:
    iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --dest 192.168.0.1 --dport 27031 -j DROP
    Here is a screenshot:

Leave a comment:

Working...
X