No announcement yet.

Here's The First Screenshot Of The Linux Steam Client

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do we have to go over this again? Steam supports making backups that don't require an internet connection. You can play all your games offline even if Valve decides to go ape shit.

The only way you depend on Valve is for internet games. Those by definition make you dependent on the servers, even without DRM.

Single player or LAN games are not a problem at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Przeciwko View Post
      When Steam dies one day, all those game you purchased there will be unplayable, dead. It's rather doubtful that they release no-steam fix, since it would make those game so easily pirated. You can say that Steam games are already pirated (which proves this DRM is pointless) and it's true.But remember, companies do anything to stop piracy (look at ridiculous Ubisoft idea), even by crippling users. Just have this in mind when Steam goes to hell.
      We'll if steam dies i doubt anyone worries about old games getting easily pirated. And if peeps keeps continuing buying games throught steam then they are making money and getting money to run servers.

And if valve starts doing things like deleting your games in order to make you repurchase it or just don't want to keep game's authentication in their servers (and dont release non-steam fix), think valve is getting so big on online game distributing that EU would most likely notice that.

Przeciwko: "It's quiet ironic that people who choose Linux because of being Open-Source & DRM free , can't wait for Steam which i basically one of the worst DRM forms available. "

For me choosing Linux wasn't because it is DRM free. Being open-source and such is big thing but biggest reason for me is that it works more reliabale than windows and i love gnome, my productivity is a lot higher than on windows it never could be.

Comment

The problem with Steam is that you don't really own the game but borrow it, user depend from Steam all the time. They can remove your games without warning, block them or anything. You need to be connected to internet all the time, off-line Steam only sounds good on paper. In reality you still need to connect. What if someone (for some reason) loose access to internet for example a month? such person is basically toasted. Forget about choosing what patch you want (important in case of games like Stalker) or un-problematic mods for some games - they need to be altered to be used with Steam.

When you buy game on CD you own it basically for life, if you take good care of it. You can play whenever you want wherever you want and no company from outside can influence this.

When Steam dies one day, all those game you purchased there will be unplayable, dead. It's rather doubtful that they release no-steam fix, since it would make those game so easily pirated. You can say that Steam games are already pirated (which proves this DRM is pointless) and it's true.But remember, companies do anything to stop piracy (look at ridiculous Ubisoft idea), even by crippling users. Just have this in mind when Steam goes to hell.
        1. Once you connect to the internet once with the game, you never need to be connected again to play Single Player.
        2. You DO NOT own the game when you have a CD either. You own a license to use the game according to the license agreement you accept when installing it. Steam is the same way.
        3. Valve will most likely release a patch to disable the DRM for their games if they ever vanish.

Comment

Originally posted by Remco View Post
          Steam supports making backups that don't require an internet connection. You can play all your games offline even if Valve decides to go ape shit.
          You still need to connect to Steam server to play them. Some games don't work in offline mode, even if they have Singleplayer. Not to mention this software is faulty for some users. Now compare this to a game normally released which don't need any bothering around.

The only way you depend on Valve is for internet games. Those by definition make you dependent on the servers, even without DRM.
          Steam doesn't allow you what kind of patch you want it always upgrade to the latest one. When in most cases of games is good, for Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl is not. Why? Basically many modifications are created for 1.0004 patch, because it is more stable and allows for modders to put more neat features to the game. 1.0005 disables many things in engine. Modifications for non-Source engine require to be modified so they could work somehow - so forget about modifications for older games that weren't ported for Steam later on.

Comment

You still need to connect to Steam server to play them. Some games don't work in offline mode, even if they have Singleplayer. Not to mention this software is faulty for some users. Now compare this to a game normally released which don't need any bothering around.
            All Valve games allow you to play offline. The only reason that some 3rd party games don't work is because they decide to add their own shitty DRM. That's not Valve's fault, because if they want publishers to put their games on Steam, they need to them them add their own DRM if they want it.

Comment

Originally posted by j883376 View Post
              2. You DO NOT own the game when you have a CD either. You own a license to use the game according to the license agreement you accept when installing it. Steam is the same way.
              So what it has license agreement which are basically empty words? I still can play the game when developer/publisher stop exist, modify or patch the game in whatever way I want. If Steam allows the same you need to do workaround which I mentioned before.

Comment

Originally posted by eXlin View Post
                And if valve starts doing things like deleting your games in order to make you repurchase it
                No this was on my mind. They could remove game from their service completely and probably giving back the cash. The disturbing thing is that in such option they can decide to what games you have accesss.
                or just don't want to keep game's authentication in their servers (and dont release non-steam fix), think valve is getting so big on online game distributing that EU would most likely notice that.
                It will be hard to achieve success in that if the comapny stops exists.

Btw. Here is fine example how in reality this Backup stuff works.

I have nothing against digital distribution if they don't force you to install third party software (Direct2Drive, GoG) which is Steam. It basically offers nothing that you could do on your own (seriously, it's so hard to download patch for a game?) and adds only more problems. Yes, it has everything in one, but is loosing freedom is worth it?

Comment

No this was on my mind. They could remove game from their service completely and probably giving back the cash. The disturbing thing is that in such option they can decide to what games you have accesss.

Btw. Here is fine example how in reality this Backup stuff works.
                  This is actually not how I backup my Steam install. I just put it in offline mode and then I make my weekly system backup. Whenever I need to restore it, I can.

Comment

It's quiet ironic that people who choose Linux because of being Open-Source & DRM free , can't wait for Steam which i basically one of the worst DRM forms available.

Comment

Ask ubisoft if they stop their servers. How people will play splinter cell conviction or newer games?

Steam doesn't impose any drm, publishers are using their own drm if they want. If you buy the box of the game, most probably, will need to stay connected the same way if you purchase the game on steam.

As many people said before, Valve games just need a one-time activation, and you can activate them everywhere you want as many times as you want, then you can happily play offline as many times you want.

Comment

Working...
                      X