Here's The First Screenshot Of The Linux Steam Client

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mastertheknife View Post
    It seems that you didn't do your homework, but anyways, for you and others that keep saying "Don't hack steam!!!!"

1) I never uploaded any binary, only a binary patch which is 192 bytes.
    2) I didn't really hack it because its not like i bypassed security checks. From my view, i only fixed 2 bugs that made the program quit early, one is a bug that prevented the libraries from loading because of unresolved references and the second is some other function always failing for no apparent reason.
    3) It seems Valve doesn't care:
    * They didn't care about people playing and trying to hack the Mac OS closed beta client.
    * They didn't care when people uploaded or obtained cracked steam for windows (if you remember those days).
    * The client is still up, reachable and downloadable by everyone.

Why did i do it? I had enough rumors of steam linux client coming, not coming, etc. I wanted to see an evidence for myself that those files are indeed a possible client, so i worked on trying to get it to display a native X11 steam window. Nothing further, after i got that, i have no reason to continue because i saw what i wanted to see.
    Some people suggested that i should send my findings to Valve to make them aware of those most likely bugs.

Anyways if anyone has any problem about what i did, i'm in #phoronix in freenode.

mastertheknife.
    Hi,

to be honest i thought you pushed up a steam binary..Uploading
    a binary patch surely doesn't violate any valve license agreements.

That was my fault.
    Sorry for that.

And , btw, that you really got it showing an X11 window is great.
    It's great that it really doesn't look like a server package only.

Btw, was there really so much "getting it to run" for the mac
    version also ?

Regards,
    Christian

Comment

Pardon my ignorance, but what is Steam?
      Does this makes Windows games work magically in Linux (natively)?

Comment

Originally posted by DeiF View Post
        No, that would be Wine.

Steam is a game store created by Valve. It is currently only available for Windows. The Mac version has been announced, and the Linux version is evidently also in development.

Some Linux-compatible games are sold on Steam, so those will be available immediately when Steam comes to Linux. Valve has also announced that they will port their games to OpenGL for the Mac. It would be a small step to port them to Linux, too.

More importantly, Valve has a game development kit called Steamworks. If that's ported to Linux, it will be easier for other game developers to release games on Linux. Again, to get games on the Mac they have to port to OpenGL anyway, and then the hard part is over.

Comment

Originally posted by DeiF View Post
          the Steam client is Valve's software store and software management app. it is, essentially, a DRM system for games sold by Valve. it has been on windows for awhile now.

this version and the mac version are native to those platforms. i also understand that a game or two will be offered that are native to linux. this does nothing to magically make windows games linux native. to make windows games run natively in linux would mean moving the ability to run PE executable binaries from it's current WINE and binfmt wrapper implementation to the kernel and implementing those system calls in the kernel. i, myself, personally, wouldn't mind seeing this happen, but i don't believe Mr. Torvalds has been keen on this idea in the past when it was brought up a time or two on the LKML.

this client is the first step in being able to quantifiably determine linux's viability as a commercial gaming platform. it's their way of saying, "we've heard all the whining, now it's time to put up or shut up."

Comment

Originally posted by justsumdood View Post
            to make windows games run natively in linux would mean moving the ability to run PE executable binaries from it's current WINE and binfmt wrapper implementation to the kernel and implementing those system calls in the kernel. i, myself, personally, wouldn't mind seeing this happen, but i don't believe Mr. Torvalds has been keen on this idea in the past when it was brought up a time or two on the LKML.
            Torvalds doesn't object to this. The Wine developers just don't really care about it. It wouldn't solve a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by sabriah View Post
              Fully agreed!

For perspectives, do you remember when DVD:s were sold over a counter? And, do you remember the size of the Mac corner compared to the PC corner? Yes, the Mac corner was like five games, vs the 550 games available for PC. With Steam, there there is a chance that Mac and Linux may have chance of becoming gaming platforms. OK, now the console have taken a fearsome chunk out of the market share, making the future a bit more bleak than usual.
              I consider PC games will never die I remember maybe few console games which I found interesting, but there are dozens of such games on PC (sadly, many of them are about ten years old right now, but there are also some new). While there will be demanding players PC market should be in a good shape.

Still, Steam is the best chance, ever!
              That's for sure Linux and FOSS don't need some special business models, but games!

Comment

I was getting a step further. I installed Steam via Wine and then copied the file drive_c/Programme/Steam/config/SteamAppData.vdf to the ~/Steam/config/ directory. Be sure, that the "RememberPassword" setting in this file is set to "0" or else Steam SegFaults. If you start the run.sh script now, you get a black window, that should be the Login Window. If you move your cursor around, you notice, that there are two Textboxes for your Steam-Username and Password. If you type in your data blindly, Steam still crashes with this output:
                Code:
                ./steam.sh: Zeile 63: 17401 Segmentation fault      ${DEBUGGER} "${STEAMROOT}"/${PLATFORM}/${STEAMEXE} $@
                If you got problems with Steam cause it tries to detect some server on your gateway address, try to block it with something like this (don't forget to change the IP-address, if you have other netsettings):
                Code:
                iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --dest 192.168.0.1 --dport 27031 -j DROP
                Here is a screenshot:

Comment

We've gotten the login screen up in #phoronix but without any text of course. We can login thorugh the command line but it doesn't get us any further. The main UI never comes up.

I think Valve is committing common patches between Linux and OSX and not doing any UI work right now.

Comment

Originally posted by dopehouse View Post
                    Here is a screenshot:
                    I still prefer the legs of the model behind that black window

Comment

Originally posted by blackshard View Post
                      I still prefer the legs of the model behind that black window
                      I like "Kuendigung.pdf".

Comment

Working...
                      X