Nexuiz on dual core/quad core/4x4++?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nexuiz on dual core/quad core/4x4++?

Seeing that Nexuiz is using the DarkPlaces engine (which is a heavily modified Quake 1 engine, now so far removed and enhanced from Quake 1) it is single thread bound, which is a bit of a downer seeing that multi core is really becoming the new norm...

Has anyone tried Nexuiz on a dual core? Will you still be interested in it when we're all pimping 8 core beasts that can emerge deep in 4 minutes?

Does anyone know of any other FPS that is properly threaded?

I've tried Nexuiz before on dual and quad cored systems.

Quake 4 properly supports SMP in the recent patches, though that isn't open-source. I can't recall off hand which open-source developer I was speaking with, but one of the popular titles (it might have been VDrift or Sauerbraten) is working on multi-core optimizations.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael
      I've tried Nexuiz before on dual and quad cored systems.

Quake 4 properly supports SMP in the recent patches, though that isn't open-source.
      Ahh, but we do know the good people at iD love releasing them to the open sourcers once it's an old engine. Quake 1 to 3 engines are open source but I've only heard of Dark Places taking any of them further and only Nexuiz being the only active fps...

Comment

Working...
      X