Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alien Arena 2010 Coming "In A Few Weeks"

Phoronix: Alien Arena 2010 Coming "In A Few Weeks"

While Alien Arena 2009 brought numerous improvements to this open-source game, John Diamond has been hard at work on Alien Arena 2010. We received a message from John saying this inaugural 2010 release will feature "a host of updates, new content and bugfixes." He also said the release will arrive in a matter of weeks. Though in anticipation of the Alien Arena 2010 release he has put out a trailer (embedded below) and also updated screenshots on this media page...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This game fails badly...

Nothing different from other (FLOSS) FPSs. Ugly, uninspired, half-assed artwork...

Is there anyone who likes alien arena?

It's like: "Hey man, let's freak out this game!"
    -"Wow we did it in 7 hours lol!"
    "What do we do now?"
    -"Hey I know! Let's make our own game!!!111111"
    "Hell yeah! I got a name!!!!11"
    -"What?"
    "Alien Arena!!!!"
    -"Fsck yeah we are going make teh best gamez0rs evah!!!!!"
    "Hell yeah!! Oh and we are so elite that we'll make it for Linux!!"
    -"How?"
    "Just rip some source code! I got an OpenGL book here so we can add effects along the way!"

...etc...

Comment

The Game looks like 10 Years Old.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
        The Game looks like 10 Years Old.
        Except for the fact that games from the year 2000 where still uncommercial enough to kick ass... Which is why I like the first Playstation and PSP games; acceptable graphics, good enough budget but not tageted at the "I wantz moar shadarz! A backstory! Monivation for my character!" crowd...

Oh and I played games since Pacman and Pong...

Comment

'until valve releases its steam client'

Lol'd when I saw that. If anyone at Valve is listening. Valve, if you release a Linux client and games, I'll buy a game from you that I wouldn't have bought otherwise and tell all my friends to do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
            This game fails badly...
            Bitching is easy!
            The guy is a codemonkey. I don't think there is anything wrong with the engine. There just isn't any mapping/modeling/gameplay artists helping him. He could, you know, start bitching on Phoronix that there aren't any good open source FPS games or he could keep doing his thing in order to create a good basis for other people to make something out of eventually.

Comment

Agreed. Some of the posts here are quite rude. Keep in mind that one of the Alien Arena devs (Irritant) is a member here.

Comment

Originally posted by MaestroMaus View Post
                Bitching is easy!
                The guy is a codemonkey. I don't think there is anything wrong with the engine. There just isn't any mapping/modeling/gameplay artists helping him.
                Oh I am not bitching at the guy or his coding skills (I can very clearly see the graphical effects in place) but the game (so not the code) is just not good.

The game itself is lacking... eh... gameplay and artwork? Which basically means that it isn't realy much of a game worthy playing but an FPS mod for an engine.

And as somebody who grew up along with the entire gaming history I am not going to lie. But hell... 'my game' is only existing in my head. I don't even have made something for anyone to bitch at

Comment

Originally posted by MaestroMaus View Post
                  Bitching is easy!
                  The guy is a codemonkey. I don't think there is anything wrong with the engine. There just isn't any mapping/modeling/gameplay artists helping him. He could, you know, start bitching on Phoronix that there aren't any good open source FPS games or he could keep doing his thing in order to create a good basis for other people to make something out of eventually.
                  There are other developers besides Diamond, but he is the main one. He does the models, about half the maps (other maps come from EMP and others,) and most of the coding (with occasional patches submitted by the Debian maintainer Gilbert, and by myself.)

As far as the complaints go: nothing can truly be new. Everything builds on the past, it's how all art and culture works. "Originality" is when two old ideas are combined in a new way. And that's a good thing, because otherwise we'd be starting civilization from scratch all the time, having never moved past cave painting.

Alien Arena is a fast-paced, arena-style game, borrowing elements from Q3 and UT. Why? Because that's. what's. fun. There's a good reason why Alien Arena doesn't have weapons purchased with points, or realistic physics, or giant outdoor maps. Why? Because that. isn't. fun.

So if you find yourself saying that Alien Arena is "just like all the others," consider the possibility that you don't even like first-person shooters at all. This is basically how I realized I don't like eggs, and since that happened I was able to criticize other people's cooking a lot less.

Comment

And I forgot, Stratocaster does a lot of programming for the game as well. (Doesn't change the point I'm making, but it wouldn't be fair not to mention him.)

Comment

Working...
                    X