Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gilboa
    replied
    Contrary to the general attitude in this thread, me and my team-mates used to play AA 09 when we had some free time, and we had a lot of fun.
    Fast paced DM FPS with good graphics and acceptable physics.
    It would have been nice if the gameplay would have evolved beyond pure DM/CTF (E.g. UT2K4 like assault / onslaught).

Either way, keep up the good work.
    - Gilboa

Leave a comment:

• V!NCENT
    replied
    When Steam comes to Linux, get the Source mod GoldenEye:Source. THAT is real evolutionary pc FPS!

Leave a comment:

• MaxToTheMax
    replied
    And I forgot, Stratocaster does a lot of programming for the game as well. (Doesn't change the point I'm making, but it wouldn't be fair not to mention him.)

Leave a comment:

• MaxToTheMax
    replied
    Originally posted by MaestroMaus View Post
    Bitching is easy!
    The guy is a codemonkey. I don't think there is anything wrong with the engine. There just isn't any mapping/modeling/gameplay artists helping him. He could, you know, start bitching on Phoronix that there aren't any good open source FPS games or he could keep doing his thing in order to create a good basis for other people to make something out of eventually.
    There are other developers besides Diamond, but he is the main one. He does the models, about half the maps (other maps come from EMP and others,) and most of the coding (with occasional patches submitted by the Debian maintainer Gilbert, and by myself.)

As far as the complaints go: nothing can truly be new. Everything builds on the past, it's how all art and culture works. "Originality" is when two old ideas are combined in a new way. And that's a good thing, because otherwise we'd be starting civilization from scratch all the time, having never moved past cave painting.

Alien Arena is a fast-paced, arena-style game, borrowing elements from Q3 and UT. Why? Because that's. what's. fun. There's a good reason why Alien Arena doesn't have weapons purchased with points, or realistic physics, or giant outdoor maps. Why? Because that. isn't. fun.

So if you find yourself saying that Alien Arena is "just like all the others," consider the possibility that you don't even like first-person shooters at all. This is basically how I realized I don't like eggs, and since that happened I was able to criticize other people's cooking a lot less.

Leave a comment:

• V!NCENT
    replied
    Originally posted by MaestroMaus View Post
    Bitching is easy!
    The guy is a codemonkey. I don't think there is anything wrong with the engine. There just isn't any mapping/modeling/gameplay artists helping him.
    Oh I am not bitching at the guy or his coding skills (I can very clearly see the graphical effects in place) but the game (so not the code) is just not good.

The game itself is lacking... eh... gameplay and artwork? Which basically means that it isn't realy much of a game worthy playing but an FPS mod for an engine.

And as somebody who grew up along with the entire gaming history I am not going to lie. But hell... 'my game' is only existing in my head. I don't even have made something for anyone to bitch at

Leave a comment:

• whizse
    replied
    Agreed. Some of the posts here are quite rude. Keep in mind that one of the Alien Arena devs (Irritant) is a member here.

Leave a comment:

• MaestroMaus
    replied
    Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
    This game fails badly...
    Bitching is easy!
    The guy is a codemonkey. I don't think there is anything wrong with the engine. There just isn't any mapping/modeling/gameplay artists helping him. He could, you know, start bitching on Phoronix that there aren't any good open source FPS games or he could keep doing his thing in order to create a good basis for other people to make something out of eventually.

Leave a comment:

• garytr24
    replied
    'until valve releases its steam client'

Lol'd when I saw that. If anyone at Valve is listening. Valve, if you release a Linux client and games, I'll buy a game from you that I wouldn't have bought otherwise and tell all my friends to do the same.

Leave a comment:

• V!NCENT
    replied
    Originally posted by Nille View Post
    The Game looks like 10 Years Old.
    Except for the fact that games from the year 2000 where still uncommercial enough to kick ass... Which is why I like the first Playstation and PSP games; acceptable graphics, good enough budget but not tageted at the "I wantz moar shadarz! A backstory! Monivation for my character!" crowd...

Oh and I played games since Pacman and Pong...

Leave a comment:

• Nille
    replied
    The Game looks like 10 Years Old.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X