No announcement yet.

Valve Pulls Its Unreleased Linux Client From Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The sheer amount of people that are willing to trade in opensource drivers for binary drivers here is staggering. It is also totally unrespectfull to the ATI devs who are sticking their necks out for us.

Did you guys ever concider using Windows? It seems you don't care about opensource anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by MaestroMaus View Post
      The sheer amount of people that are willing to trade in opensource drivers for binary drivers here is staggering. It is also totally unrespectfull to the ATI devs who are sticking their necks out for us.

Did you guys ever concider using Windows? It seems you don't care about opensource anyway.
      Right, because using the high-performance binary driver that is the fruit of years of labour by ATi engineers is much less respectful than using the open-source driver...that is the fruit of years of labour by ATi engineers.

Please, spare us the purist zealotrolling. People are allowed to use the hardware they purchased with their hard-earned money with the software of their choosing.

Comment

As for the topic, I'm willing to wait if it works. I've been patient for a long time, and a little more won't kill me (though I might even consider going back to fglrx to improve my experience. You know, if it works with my kernel and X server).

And damn the single minute edit window. Holy crap.

Comment

im not much of a game player these days. If however steam, or stardock, or whoever ports games to linux i will buy regardless of if its open source.

Too much stock is put into the state of the drivers. The key thing is Linux is now developed enough for that is is possible steam could port. Which i think this is amazing.

I would have hoped that steam would have open discussions with the community about what they need.

The most interesting thing to find out would be what demand they are expecting from Linux users. How many people have asked for a native Linux client. How many games would like to switch to linux.

Comment

I play Valve games on linux just fine with Crossover Games (have the orange box, l4d and l4d2). So obviously it works.

Of couse not all drivers are up to par, but hey, now they can be tested decently. Before HoN I had never heard of anything else requiring GL 2 on linux.

Also, there are quite a number of games that are on the steam store that have linux versions. Not a LOT, but probably enough for a nice start.

Btw, @Zhick, you say that Heroes of Newerth is working with r300g? When did that happen? Last time I tried it crashed after hitting 100% of the game loading screen.

Comment

Btw, does anybody know if Valve is capable of tracking the user share that runs steam through WINE on Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                Btw, does anybody know if Valve is capable of tracking the user share that runs steam through WINE on Linux?
                Yes: Hardware surveys. Wine's dr?ver name is not the same name as ati's, intel's, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                  Yes: Hardware surveys. Wine's dr?ver name is not the same name as ati's, intel's, etc...
                  Know where to look in here:

?

I would like to know how many use steam through wine.

Comment

Originally posted by chourmovs View Post
                    Phoronix, i follow you for years now and i have to tell i find that trying to make sensation like this is not your real skill
                    Second that... already found myself another news site thats more objective, but phoronix is still one of my favorites.

Comment

Originally posted by xir_ View Post
                      The most interesting thing to find out would be what demand they are expecting from Linux users.
                      A better question would be what demand they are expecting from Linux users who would actually pay money for software and services.

Comment

Working...
                      X