Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Updates Its Unreleased Steam Linux Client

Phoronix: Valve Updates Its Unreleased Steam Linux Client

Two days ago we started our exclusive coverage of Valve's soon-to-be-released Mac OS X Steam client showing Linux support after saying two years ago Steam/Source is coming to Linux and then yesterday finding more Steam Linux references and even the unreleased Steam Linux client binary and libraries. This has stirred up attention elsewhere on the Internet and within our forums there are now many users dissecting and discussing this soon to be monumental event for the Linux gaming community...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well you could say it generated quite some buzz in the web. Even the biggest german pc game magazine, GameStar, reported about it.

Comment

Well steamclient.so is from 21-04-2010 but i still did not see a gui running. For osx you find miles_osx.zip and webkit_osx.zip which are not there in the linux packages. That miles_osx.zip is also a bit special as it contains a win32 dll (!) named mssmixer.mix and maybe a wrapper libMilesMachOx86.dylib.

Comment

Well I do not believe they will make an announcement just yet. Apple enjoys getting a major game platform and wants the showlight, and Valve gets paid by Apple for being nice to them. I think we will have to wait until the Mac client is officially released to the public and then some more weeks before we will here anything official.

That doesn't mean I'd like to be proven wrong and it's coming sooner :P

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          Well steamclient.so is from 21-04-2010 but i still did not see a gui running. For osx you find miles_osx.zip and webkit_osx.zip which are not there in the linux packages. That miles_osx.zip is also a bit special as it contains a win32 dll (!) named mssmixer.mix and maybe a wrapper libMilesMachOx86.dylib.
          Miles actually uses the same .dlls using VS on all systems, it has no runtime dependencies. Kinda crazy, I think...

Comment

No hurry

I kind of hope they don't hurry too much, I just bought a radeon 5770 and there's no DRI support for those yet

Then again: yay!

Comment

No worries, unless you use the closed NVIDIA drivers you can't play any of them reasonably well within the next two years.

Comment

That's simply not true.

Comment

The 3D part of the AMD Catalyst driver is working very well nowadays and is improving monthly. There won't be any problems with this one.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                    The 3D part of the AMD Catalyst driver is working very well nowadays and is improving monthly. There won't be any problems with this one.
                    Well, for Evergreen cards fglrx has regressed quite a bit lately. But other than that I agree that it should be possible (if the stars are aligned correctly )

Comment

Working...
                    X