Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There Is No Doubt, Steam Is Coming To Linux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found this bit interesting from the steam binary:

uname -mrsv
    /proc/version
    /etc/redhat-release
    /etc/fedora-release
    /etc/slackware-release
    /etc/debian_release
    /etc/mandrake-release
    /etc/yellowdog-release
    /etc/gentoo-release
    /etc/lsb-release
    /etc/SUSE-release

Comment

I have uploaded steam for linux here:

I have sorted the directories. Just run steam.sh

Comment

Trust Linux users to dissect an unreleased binary.

Valve is probably thinking to maintain their stranglehold on digital distribution. It doesn't mean they will release Linux versions of their games right away but it does mean that 3rd parties will be able to use Steam to deliver (commercial) software on all relevant desktop platforms.

I believe (and hope) that Valve will actually port their games over once Steam/Linux reaches some critical install base.

Comment

I wonder if there could be some kind of official steam livecd one day to make a kind of pc-based games console. Live CDs are very good at booting anywhere these days, valve could probably get nvidia/ati's blessing to bundle the binary drivers and then they could build some kind of horrible DRM mess on a strippped down linux to try and stop game hacks.....

Comment

Originally posted by patstew View Post
            I wonder if there could be some kind of official steam livecd one day to make a kind of pc-based games console. Live CDs are very good at booting anywhere these days, valve could probably get nvidia/ati's blessing to bundle the binary drivers and then they could build some kind of horrible DRM mess on a strippped down linux to try and stop game hacks.....
            That would be too much work for them.

Comment

I don't like this jumping to conclusions too fast. Remember where that got us with Unreal Tournament 3?

Maybe Valve is just keeping the option open until Linux has a decent graphics and audio stack (maybe two years from now)?

Also, Steam coming to Linux isn't a big deal at all. You would be stuck with the same games we now have for Linux. It would be different if they would port their source engine games.

Comment

Originally posted by MaestroMaus View Post
                I don't like this jumping to conclusions too fast. Remember where that got us with Unreal Tournament 3?

Maybe Valve is just keeping the option open until Linux has a decent graphics and audio stack (maybe two years from now)?

Also, Steam coming to Linux isn't a big deal at all. You would be stuck with the same games we now have for Linux. It would be different if they would port their source engine games.
                You can bet every penny that if (when) Steam will come to Linux, the Source engine and its games will also come. Valve is a company that just... seriously it would be the case. Also if (when) this is happening, than Valve will be fully supporting this, and probably asking publishers to port their games, like they do with *all* publishers (which is pretty much the whole pc game industry nowadays) at the moment to have them port their games to Mac.

Comment

Originally posted by xir_ View Post
                  what would this mean really though? just some games on linux. If the unwashed mases start to use linux where can a geek go.
                  Bait taken.

1. There's always BSD and other super-niche desktop OSes.
                  2. If you're only using Linux as a status symbol, you're using it for the wrong reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                    Trust Linux users to dissect an unreleased binary.

Valve is probably thinking to maintain their stranglehold on digital distribution. It doesn't mean they will release Linux versions of their games right away but it does mean that 3rd parties will be able to use Steam to deliver (commercial) software on all relevant desktop platforms.

I believe (and hope) that Valve will actually port their games over once Steam/Linux reaches some critical install base.
                    I think they are already porting their games if they suspect Linux will hit a viable usage number any time soon. They obviously don't want a competitor to steal their thunder.

Comment

Let's just hope ML's sources are right. Not sure I want to wait til June, but it's waay better than never.

Regardless, the fact that these files are there shores things up well enough.

They're working on it, at least.

Comment

Working...
                      X