Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There Is No Doubt, Steam Is Coming To Linux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• True, but lets see how far we can get

12th May? Not only that valve didn't announce a linux client, it also won't be ready by then, the linux one is at much earlier stage than the mac one, it misses a lot of files such as GameOverlay.so, but the files for just firing the client seem to be all there.

Comment

• Originally posted by birdie View Post
      Maybe it's just worth waiting till the 12th of May

There's zero guarantee that you can run Linux Steam client from the publicly available files, because some core files might be missing and available only on developers workstations.
      I disagree. There's no harm in trying to get it working now

Comment

• Originally posted by Remco View Post
        Awesome! But what does "working" mean? Can you login?
        it mean that valve is still in developing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deltachaos View Post
          it mean that valve is still in developing.
          Oh, I misunderstood... When you said "Steam is working"...

Comment

• Hrm, calling steam like so:
            Code:
            DEBUGGER="strace" LD_PRELOAD='./linux32/vaudio_speex.so ./linux32/friendsui.so ./linux32/libsteam.so ./linux32/libtier0_s.so ./linux32/libvstdlib_s.so ./linux32/serverbrowser.so ./linux32/steamclient.so ./linux32/filesystem_stdio.so ./linux32/steamui.so ./linux32/vgui2_s.so ./linux32/filesystem_steam.so' ./steam.sh
            Returns something that may or may not be interesting (I'm not 100% on what it is):

Code:
            XIO:  fatal IO error 0 (Success) on X server ":0.0"
                  after 38 requests (33 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

Comment

• I got further now by "fixing" some function, but now i receive this error:

Code:
              CellID: timeout connecting to 68.142.100.77:27031
              CellID: Connecting to 119.167.242.111:27031. . .
              CellID: Connect to 119.167.242.111:27031 took 559 MS
              CellID: Connecting to 67.135.39.190:27031. . .
              CellID: Connect to 67.135.39.190:27031 took 928 MS
              CellID: Connecting to 61.110.195.79:27031. . .
              An X Error occured
              X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
              Major opcode of failed request:  18
              (which is X_ChangeProperty)
              Value in failed request:  0x0
              Serial number of failed request:  115

Program received signal SIGTRAP, Trace/breakpoint trap.
              0xf69c2b8e in xerror_handler(_XDisplay*, XErrorEvent*) ()
                 from /home/kfir/steam/linux32/vgui2_s.so

Comment

• That's some seriously nice work you're doing there, mastertheknife. I agree that there *are* files missing so I don't expect the actual client to open just yet (maybe a very basic X windows that doesn't do much but is for testing purposes - who knows!), but sure it is nice to know what is possible already.

Comment

• Latest build create two folders in my home directory: steamstore.steampowered.com and Steamstore.steampowered.com.
                  In steamstore.steampowered.com subfolders public/client/steam_client_linux/SteamApps/
                  In Steamstore.steampowered.com/public/client/steam_client_linux/ two files: ClientRegistry.blob and steam.log
                  steam.log:
                  DebugAssert, Name: ?, Line: 1008, Expr: "open for read/write failed in CreateFile" && !pchErr, File: /home/VALVE/dberger/P4Clients/steam2_main/Projects/GazelleProto/Client/Engine/../../../Common/Misc/PosixWin32.cpp

Comment

• mastertheknife is a legend. If you followed #phoronix, you would have read that he did it:

Comment

• Can we get some instructions on how to get there? I love you if so!!

Comment

Working...
                      X