Proof In Steam's Mac Client Of Linux Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HoboJ View Post
    If this is true I'll be able to play my source games once again. (I refuse to use wine) Which will be awesome!
    Same here, I've even sent valve e-mails about it.

Comment

Steam client for serverside perhaps; For desktop games, I doubt Valve would be far behind on that. It would be really smart of them to target at least Android IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueKoala View Post
        Steam client for serverside perhaps; For desktop games, I doubt Valve would be far behind on that. It would be really smart of them to target at least Android IMO.
        Depends on the game. Many of them would probably work decently enough in native mode on the platform so long as you had a beefy enough SoC (CortexA8/A9 or similar, coupled with a decent DSP and GPU...)- but many of the titles they're peddling with Steam won't go. Caster would, but I've not heard of them being interested in providing the client for any Linux derived platform- save for here, of course...

Comment

Would be certainly interesting to have got a Linux client. Best would be of course when you could buy a game once and run it on any plattform possible. I don't see the reason in buying specific binaries. Caster can be converted usually using the demo binaries too, but maybe that does not apply to all games. Buy once, play on the plattform you just use, thats the way to go.

Comment

Linux

I imagine they have test builds run on linux to weed out extra bugs caused by nonportable code. It would help their xbox and ps3 efforts. I also think they must be thinking of kiosks in gaming shops running Linux and Steam for cheap in the future.

Comment

Who's to say that the script has not been modified before Phoronix got it?

Comment

I'll just wait for something official. Like Gabe adopts a Penguin(for a Zoo) and names him Mr.Freeman.

Comment

Once a major distributor starts supporting linux I think they will discover lots of people who never buy any games starting to spend their money.

And steam would be ideal, almost as easy installing games via steam as we're used to via apt-get/yum.

I for one would buy more games. I hate dual-booting, so the effort of playing a game is not worth it. I'm typically a casual gamer ("lots" of kids, I don't have the time for extended periods of hard core gaming any more) and don't play games since I can't fire up a game for 30 minutes of entertainment (which usually stretches into the late hours of the night) without spending several minutes dualbooting. Which also means that It'l take time getting back into where I was before I started gaming as well. (Hibernate on linux, boot windows, play, play, shutdown windows, restore hibernated linux works fairly well)

I'm definitely going to buy much more games once (casual) games are more available! (And games like Dragon Age) Wine is great, as long as a game works "out-of-the-box". When "fiddling" is needed, I don't have the time.

Comment

Don't get excited...

Might I remind everyone here, that as far as we know, UT3/Linux port was -ready-, but was never released due to some undisclosed (legal?) reason.

There's a ----long---- way between having a launcher script that may or may not support Linux to a full blown Linux version release.

For now, we're left with ID-software and LGP (which hopefully is "just" resting).

- Gilboa
                    oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                    oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                    oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                    Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
                      Might I remind everyone here, that as far as we know, UT3/Linux port was -ready-, but was never released due to some undisclosed (legal?) reason.

There's a ----long---- way between having a launcher script that may or may not support Linux to a full blown Linux version release.

For now, we're left with ID-software and LGP (which hopefully is "just" resting).
                      I am aware of that unfortunate fact I, on principle, buy most linux capable ID-software games. (Some of them I've hardly ever played) The only problem is that there is no way to make me stand out from the crowd, ID software does not know if I buy the game for Linux or Windows (AFAIK).

And don't forget wine/CrossOver which IMHO does a great job. The only problem is that there are som many titles wine/crossover does not work with.

Comment

Working...
                      X