Is linux enough for a gaming PC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guess what, guys...

The ones saying do Windows for games aren't helping themselves any.

The MAIN reason there are hassles is for because the industry (something that Dragonlord and myself would know something of...) doesn't see Linux as being viable- not because it is/isn't. For each and every one of you going over to Windows to play games (If you're not going to game on Linux, I DO suggest you take Kano's suggestion to heart- it's less damaging, from start to finish if you're doing it all on Consoles...) is a VOTE for that platform.

Don't talk out both sides of your mouth here. If Linux is a great OS, then you probably OUGHT to stick with it instead of dual booting, etc. One of the main reasons WHY we have less titles than we do is because of this very thinking. People couldn't have waited the 1-2 weeks for Q3:A-Linux from Loki and bought the Windows SKU and "patched" it. Those purchases DID NOT COUNT FOR LINUX USE. They don't track downloads of the conversion software because they're not as constrained as the purchases are. As a result, we all sent a message- we don't buy games. When you talk like you do, you're carrying that vicious cycle forward.

Comment

Svartalf has very good points too It's waited some time, but when my next pay check arrives, I'll certainly go and buy some Linux native games. Any suggestions on where my money would be put to best use? I have been thinking about the Introversion Anthology, but do they keep any statistics on which platform their games are bought for? Strategy or RPGs it should be

But back to topic: I certainly wish to encourage everyone to build a gaming rig and only running Linux on it. It'll be an adventure, yes, but it's worth it. And if you do it with some distribution like Gentoo, you'll also learn to make things work yourself

Comment

I guess we're getting a bit off topic now, but try Eschalon if you're into the whole RPG thing:
        Developers of indie games since 2005

As for RTS, Rock Paper Shotgun did a feature on an upcoming strategy game, Revenge of the Titans by Puppygames. All their other games are cross platform, so I guess this one is too?
        Unlikely-named Puppygames developer Caspian Prince has answered some of our questions about the splendid-looking forthc…

Oh, and we risk getting our asses kicked unless Sacred is mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
          Guess what, guys...

If Linux is a great OS, then you probably OUGHT to stick with it instead of dual booting, etc.
          I did just that. Unfortunatelly it's not only games that are lacking in linux, but also good CAD software, which I need since I'm an architect. Anyway since I'm not doing much architecture these days I was finally able to ban windows from all my PCs.
          One thing that I find puzzling is why do people who don't need any windows only software don't use linux?

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
          People couldn't have waited the 1-2 weeks for Q3:A-Linux from Loki and bought the Windows SKU and "patched" it.
          I hardly play any games on the PC (I have a super nintendo for that ) but I would buy UT2004 or other games I like for linux if they were available on the shelfs, which they aren't. At least not where I live. If I buy the games that do have executables available for linux but these have to be downloaded, that purchase counts as a Windows VOTE so it wouldn't help.

Comment

(I really HATE the ridiculous 1min edit time)

And to answer the initial question: Linux is ready for games, it's the games that aren't ready for linux (I omited the wine part on purpose since I don't really like wine).

Comment

Don't talk out both sides of your mouth here. If Linux is a great OS, then you probably OUGHT to stick with it instead of dual booting, etc.
              Don't get me wrong, I am running Linux exclusively.

But I'm not expecting it to run Crysis, and I am certainly not expecting it to run the Windows version of Crysis through an emulation layer.

The games written for Linux natively work like a charm, and I play those. It's not enough to satisfy a hardcore gamer at this point, though.

Comment

Native titles run great of course. But if its not the game you want to play then this info is not going to help you.

Ive been quite satisfied with games in wine though. Ive got an old P4 with a 8400 nvidia card and 1 gig memory. Ive played NWN2 and HMM5 and both ran acceptable (considering its a shitty system im actually very impressed). Also any older titles run usually just find. If you don't want the shiny shiny games linux is just find

Comment

Working...
                X