LGP is dead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whizse View Post
    The only thing worse than not having a blog, is having one that's never updated, it creates the impression that there used to be a lot of activity, but has stopped for some reason. And that's the kind of void where ugly rumors are born.
    I'd hesitate to say it's not been updated (~2 months isn't that, folks...hell, I don't update all that much on my blogs either...my last Advogato entry was years ago... )- I'd say that right now there's a few people that're making more of this than they probably ought to. The delays you're seeing on everything but Bandits and Disciples 2 are typical for LGP to begin with- and I'm not wholly sure why Bandits hadn't already shipped other than perhaps he decided to get it converted over to PenguinPlay from baseline Grapple and thought I wasn't available for that. (When I actually get in touch with him, I'm going to chide him over that...I told him I'd tell him when I actually quit...I've never told him that and don't plan on it for a while yet to come...)

Ugly rumors are going to start no matter what, folks- well, unless you're going solid strong on things, that is (Well, I think we've hashed over and over part of the WHY that's not the case- and Michael Simms points it out too... I won't bore everyone with THAT particular rant again.. ). More to the point, the rumors are coming from the same class of crowd that bitch about what LGP has managed to acquire and won't pay the prices he's having to charge for it just to mostly break even or lose less money. If you're not going to buy, spare everyone.

And if the rumors are less than just that...well...what of it?

Seriously.

You've got my current endeavors outside LGP going on. You've got the Humble Bundle crowd doing what they're doing. You've got other Indies stepping up to the plate as time progresses. You might have Valve hanging in the wings...

Comment

Svartalf,

I'm far from being a member of the bitch and moan crowed.
      Beyond buying games from LGP and Tuxgames whenever possible (even if its more expensive), I also do my best to report bugs, and offer solutions whenever I can.

I fully understand why Micheal Simms is pissed, God knows anyone who ever worked on OSS projects know exactly how he feels. (Though I would imagine that closed source developers on Windows get the same treatment, if not worse; Guess it the nature of the beast...)
      Never the less, something isn't right with LGP.
      If I compare the responsiveness of LGP and even Micheal himself during the X3 beta (~1.5y ago) to today, one cannot ignore the fact the LGP does look as if they have entered some type of suspended animation. Back in the beta I used to see bugs fixed within days; a couple of weeks ago I sent in a detailed bug report with a possible fix and it have yet to land at LGP's mantis.

I sure hope I'm wrong, but the outlook does look too bright right now. (And with it, my hopes of a X3:TC port [I pledge 200$ for the first copy] )

- Gilboa
      oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
      oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
      oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
      Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
        I sure hope I'm wrong, but the outlook does look too bright right now. (And with it, my hopes of a X3:TC port [I pledge 200$ for the first copy] )

- Gilboa
        I'm thinking he's more than slightly short-handed more than anything else right at the moment.

Originally posted by LGP Website
        Is grateful to Slashdot for finally noticing that LGP exists, after militantly ignoring any game release we have made for the last 5 years, as soon as reports of our death come through, we get a front page story. Slashdot - Your support of Linux is inspirational.
        For others who wonder, we are very much alive. We have had a couple of staffing issues on the admin side of things, which explains most of our silence, but work is progressing on more than one unannounced title. We will offer further updates as and when there is news to update you with.
        I think there's a hint in that for you. Sounds like my assessment above might be dead-on...

And if everyone would take the time to read the article you linked to earlier in this thread, we might see some of why things are being stretched thin.

Honestly, I'd want to wait and see what happens before making news out of this (Looking Michael Larabel's direction here on this one...) because nobody knows what's going on right at the moment- not even one of their devteam people.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
          I'm thinking he's more than slightly short-handed more than anything else right at the moment.

I think there's a hint in that for you. Sounds like my assessment above might be dead-on...

And if everyone would take the time to read the article you linked to earlier in this thread, we might see some of why things are being stretched thin.

Honestly, I'd want to wait and see what happens before making news out of this (Looking Michael Larabel's direction here on this one...) because nobody knows what's going on right at the moment- not even one of their devteam people.
          I wasn't busy working 12h a day on a new startup, I'd offer to port X3:TC myself for a piece of the revenue

- Gilboa
          oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
          oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
          oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
          Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Working...
          X