No announcement yet.

Nexuiz Gets Forked, Turned Into Xonotic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The mechanism of forking and the GPL ensures tit for tat (you know, the idea behind capitalism). You can fork a project, but any improvements you make can be incorporated in the original code. So you get the benefits of forking (reviving projects), but not the drawbacks (leeching code). By assigning copyright, this mechanism is bypassed, and now they spent tat, but didn't get tit, so to speak. As I said, copyright assignment is something that happens in many many free software projects, and it's not morally intended to bypass the GPL, even though it does provide a loophole.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Sixpack View Post
      Usually that logic would apply, but I guess you overlooked the part of his name that says "Nexuiz Project Manager". I guess hearing things directly from the horses mouth is considered stupid nowadays.
      I stepped down as "Nexuiz Project Manager" perhaps over a year ago. I have no connection whatsoever to console Nexuiz and no official title for GPL Nexuiz/Xonotic.

Comment

Nexuiz has all kinds of content, being graphics, code, music, levels, and much more made by communitiy contributions. I doubt they went and got permission of all of them. I think the software freedom center should know about this:

The Software Freedom Law Center provides legal representation and other law related services to protect and advance Free and Open Source Software.

They can't just close all that work and begin charging for it.

Comment

Originally posted by xav1r View Post
          Nexuiz has all kinds of content, being graphics, code, music, levels, and much more made by communitiy contributions. I doubt they went and got permission of all of them. I think the software freedom center should know about this:

The Software Freedom Law Center provides legal representation and other law related services to protect and advance Free and Open Source Software.
          They are not using any community content and I'm confident no community code without permission will be in the final product.

They can't just close all that work and begin charging for it.
          They cannot and they will not.

Comment

And I think you guys should, in the name of decency, stop spouting unfounded bullshit everywhere. Here, in the part of the net where people actually have a minimum of reading and comprehension skills, dudes are running out of facepalms.

Comment

contribute SOME?

couldn't they just contribute whatever changes they make to the engine that don't touch the platform compatible code? I haven't read the SDK agreement on the XBox and ps3 but Nexuiz is portable for a reason. The portability should be a result of good software engineering. If they could contribute anything back, it wouldn't reveal anything about the SDK code right? Its the closed source on the SDK that prevents them from releasing the game under GPL right? But they can still contribute back to the project if they can make it run faster or something else beneficial to the engine itself.

Comment

I think LordHavoc already said that was happening...
                Test signature

Comment

Ok, so as a summary, let me see if i got everything correct:

-They are creating content for this new console game 100% brand new, by themselves. Theyre NOT using any of the content already in Nexuiz.

-They are using their own engine, or they bought a license from id for their new engine. This part I dont understand how it's possible, since id does NOT offer commercial licenses from the Quake 1 engine. They would need to use the quake 2 engine and onwards.

Is that correct?

Comment

Ok, so as a summary, let me see if i got everything correct:

-They are creating content for this new console game 100% brand new, by themselves. Theyre NOT using any of the content already in Nexuiz.

-They are using their own engine, or they bought a license from id for their new engine. This part I dont understand how it's possible, since id does NOT offer commercial licenses from the Quake 1 engine. They would need to use the quake 2 engine and onwards.
                    From reading the (seemingly) more informed posts here, I think this is slightly incorrect...

It looks like what they are doing is:

- Creating all new content.

- Creating all new "game rules".

- Using the Darkplaces engine and contributing back their modifications.

- Using the Nexuiz name which they bought from the legal owner.

Nothing too horrific there, in my opinion.

NOTE: I could have this completely wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by RobbieAB View Post
                      From reading the (seemingly) more informed posts here, I think this is slightly incorrect...

It looks like what they are doing is:

- Creating all new content.

- Creating all new "game rules".

- Using the Darkplaces engine and contributing back their modifications.

- Using the Nexuiz name which they bought from the legal owner.

Nothing too horrific there, in my opinion.

NOTE: I could have this completely wrong.
                      It seems like they bought the Darkplaces engine, too, and they must have removed any code for which the copyright wasn't assigned to the founder. And they managed to get a license from Id. Otherwise I don't see how they can put a GPL engine (Darkplaces was released as GPL) derived from another GPL engine (Quake was released as GPL) on a console (which requires modifications to the engine to run, and those modifications can not be released as GPL).

The way I see it, if they have done all the things necessary to be able to sell this game at all, then they don't even have to contribute any code back, legally.

Comment

Working...
                      X