Valve Is Not Commenting On Steam, Source Engine For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
    Easy to install and update? You're kidding right? It's ten times easier to install and update a game outside of steam than with this steaming pile of shit. I don't want to count how often this bullcrap turned my games installations into shreds because it messed up the crappy cache files... if it manages to install. I already had games I had to download and install outside steam since installing them with steam they could not be played. Steam simply refused to launch them with spurious and incomprehensible error messages. Besides you have to use "their" updates. An update fucks up your game? touch luck boy. You have to use this update as steam forces it down your throat. No... this piece of crap should be banned from existence.
    Like I said I've had no problems, I've had lots of problems finding patches for other games that have gone out of fashion. Such as the original Unreal or Star Trek Armada I & II. Even the tomb raider games.

I have no idea where my Evolva CD is so unless I pirate it I can't play that again. Same goes for the games I have on floppy disk. I don't remember how long it's been since I had a PC with a floppy drive.

At least if steam mucks up you should still have support from Valve.

Comment

I honestly don't feel comfortable with steam being ported to linux. Even if I do love the games... The DRM side of things scares me a little. I can already see that LGP are going down that path too. I like hard DVD version. I dunno, maybe I'm stuck in the dark ages.. =/

Comment

Originally posted by b15hop View Post
        I honestly don't feel comfortable with steam being ported to linux. Even if I do love the games... The DRM side of things scares me a little. I can already see that LGP are going down that path too. I like hard DVD version. I dunno, maybe I'm stuck in the dark ages.. =/
        I do like having pretty box sets (whether it's games, books, DVDs or blurays) but for ease of use having a file on your PC is often easier

My legal British copy of the Final Destination in 3D won't work on my American PS3. There's no bluray player for linux so I booted into Windows on a separate drive to watch it. Unfortunately it won't play because of a problem with HDCP - it asks me to connect up via VGA rather than HDMI because of it. I very nearly downloaded it from Pirate Bay.

I don't think the dodgy downloads have subtitles for the hard of hearing though, which was a must as one of my friends is deaf. We ended up watching Total Recall instead.

I think I've just gone off topic

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
          Like I said I've had no problems, I've had lots of problems finding patches for other games that have gone out of fashion. Such as the original Unreal or Star Trek Armada I & II. Even the tomb raider games.

I have no idea where my Evolva CD is so unless I pirate it I can't play that again. Same goes for the games I have on floppy disk. I don't remember how long it's been since I had a PC with a floppy drive.

At least if steam mucks up you should still have support from Valve.
          I've news for you then. Valve can, with a flick of their finger, take all your games away. Isn't that great? Some corrupt company can simply steal all the games you have bought with your hard earned cash because they can't fucking stand your face or your name? Now that's what I call "safe". And what if they take down content? They have no obligation to "store your files". All your games gone because they are no more interesting. And last but not least support from Valve is up your ass. If the problem is not in the FAQ they tell you to go fucking screw yourself. Support... yeah... my ass... don't make me laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
            I've news for you then. Valve can, with a flick of their finger, take all your games away. Isn't that great? Some corrupt company can simply steal all the games you have bought with your hard earned cash because they can't fucking stand your face or your name? Now that's what I call "safe". And what if they take down content? They have no obligation to "store your files". All your games gone because they are no more interesting. And last but not least support from Valve is up your ass. If the problem is not in the FAQ they tell you to go fucking screw yourself. Support... yeah... my ass... don't make me laugh.
            Actually yes, that is my largest concern with steam - that they could take away a game from you on a whim. As a distribution system, it's nice, but it has just a little too much control over your games, even after you've downloaded them.
            I hear that some people had the AvP demo vanish from steam on them after they downloaded it, just because they were in Germany. The problem was that it available for a short time, but removed late - granted it shouldn't have been available in the first place, but removing it from people who already downloaded it? That makes steam quite untrustworthy.

Comment

I do like having pretty box sets (whether it's games, books, DVDs or blurays) but for ease of use having a file on your PC is often easier

My legal British copy of the Final Destination in 3D won't work on my American PS3. There's no bluray player for linux so I booted into Windows on a separate drive to watch it. Unfortunately it won't play because of a problem with HDCP - it asks me to connect up via VGA rather than HDMI because of it. I very nearly downloaded it from Pirate Bay.

I don't think the dodgy downloads have subtitles for the hard of hearing though, which was a must as one of my friends is deaf. We ended up watching Total Recall instead.

I think I've just gone off topic
              Turn on Adblock Plus, Noscript, and Flashblock, then head over to opensubtitles.org. Very awesome for people with deaf friends. When I rip+encode my own movies, sometimes I put the downloaded subtitles in the .mkv or .mp4 file with the audio and video. I bet others do the same.

Comment

gog.com is the best place right now for DRM free games (and they have super reasonable prices)

Personally i can live with steam, although im never going to buy something that limits the number of installs. Some things Ive ordered was to get data for use in another engine (i,e ID's stuff)
                The same could be done with older titles that use dosbox. Although I can see some point that valve could break everything, but it seems very unlikely.

I wont touch anything with new ubisoft's DRM or anything that follows, that crossed the line with me. I bought the 2 previous SilentHunter titles.

Comment

Originally posted by unix_epoch View Post
                  Turn on Adblock Plus, Noscript, and Flashblock, then head over to opensubtitles.org. Very awesome for people with deaf friends. When I rip+encode my own movies, sometimes I put the downloaded subtitles in the .mkv or .mp4 file with the audio and video. I bet others do the same.
                  Thanks for the advice, if only his cochlea had bluetooth, I could connect him up to pulseaudio ;-)

Comment

Thanks for the advice, if only his cochlea had bluetooth, I could connect him up to pulseaudio ;-)
                    Actually, my brother's friend has a wireless cochlear implant, not Bluetooth, but still really cool. I just hope nobody figures out how to hack into deaf people's hearing implants remotely...

Maybe a subject for a darker Valve game (to bring it back on topic)...

Comment

Agreed with many of the other sentiments here, it's better to support the Linux developers making games that are DRM-less like World of Goo and others, and of course open source games. But, any software on Linux is good I guess if it will pull more Linux users...

I just like having control over my games, to be able to install and run them when I want how I want, and also not being required to have net access. Oh, and having both single player and multiplayer LAN/direct connect games = win.

Comment

Working...
                      X