No announcement yet.

Valve Is Not Commenting On Steam, Source Engine For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i agree with rfdparker, while i don't expect to see a steam on linux, i would say after recent events i find it more likely then i did before - i do find it interesting that they had no comment when its always been a "no" before.

as for the arguement of whether we should want steam on linux - i hate steam, but valve makes awesome games... i would certainly not want steam to become the de-facto standard linux games marketplace... but i would gladly purchase the entire half life/portal/etc collection again to support a native linux port.

Comment

I also wouldn't set my hopes high about Steam port for Linux. There are a few interesting titles that are supposed to be released for Linux, e.g. Rage. I simply hope that Id won't change its mind.

Comment

Originally posted by AdrenalineJunky View Post
        i agree with rfdparker, while i don't expect to see a steam on linux, i would say after recent events i find it more likely then i did before - i do find it interesting that they had no comment when its always been a "no" before.

as for the arguement of whether we should want steam on linux - i hate steam, but valve makes awesome games... i would certainly not want steam to become the de-facto standard linux games marketplace... but i would gladly purchase the entire half life/portal/etc collection again to support a native linux port.
        I on the other hand love steam. I have a nasty habit of not looking after my CDs properly so something like Steam (which I've been using back when my Radeon 9600XT was new) has been a life saver

Blizzard have saved my bacon too with there new downloaders for Warcraft 3

Comment

Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
          Guys there wont be a Linux release of Steam. I expected more from Michael Larabel rather than a "ZOMG IZ IT TRUE ??" type of article. It isn't very sensible Michael to falsely give hope to people
          You do realize that Phoronix is really nothing more than a monetized blog with an attached forum*, right? So the "ZOMG" articles do what they are intended, which is to drive up site traffic and increase ad revenue.

Much like The Huffington Post and the Drudge Report, there is no real journalism here, just opinions that occasionally look like news.

*not that there is anything wrong with that

Comment

I call it news when I read about X.org stuff that I didn't know before.

But it does seem unlikely at this point in time to have a Linux release. Wait a few years until Linux is where Mac is now.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
              I on the other hand love steam. I have a nasty habit of not looking after my CDs properly so something like Steam (which I've been using back when my Radeon 9600XT was new) has been a life saver

Blizzard have saved my bacon too with there new downloaders for Warcraft 3
              Life saver? Okay... if you consider bought games which can not be installed since steam messes up the installation (cache files broken) and can not run it since it thinks the game "is already running" a life saver... yeah... maybe then you can love it... but only then... if you are drunk... and a loner... :P

Comment

Re

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
                You do realize that Phoronix is really nothing more than a monetized blog with an attached forum*, right? So the "ZOMG" articles do what they are intended, which is to drive up site traffic and increase ad revenue.

Much like The Huffington Post and the Drudge Report, there is no real journalism here, just opinions that occasionally look like news.

*not that there is anything wrong with that
                Well, to be fair, they do a fair bit of benchmarking, and even even made a benchmarking suit, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
                  Life saver? Okay... if you consider bought games which can not be installed since steam messes up the installation (cache files broken) and can not run it since it thinks the game "is already running" a life saver... yeah... maybe then you can love it... but only then... if you are drunk... and a loner... :P
                  It's more every time I reinstall windows or delete my .wine directory I don't need to look for CDs, serials or NOCD patches. It even works on my ultra mobile laptop - which doesn't have an optical media drive. I wish all my games were so easy to install and update

I've never had any issues with it "already running" or the with the cache files. Though I've never been more than a casual gamer looking at the purdy graphics before quitting and and downing my sorrows for being a loner.

Comment

Easy to install and update? You're kidding right? It's ten times easier to install and update a game outside of steam than with this steaming pile of shit. I don't want to count how often this bullcrap turned my games installations into shreds because it messed up the crappy cache files... if it manages to install. I already had games I had to download and install outside steam since installing them with steam they could not be played. Steam simply refused to launch them with spurious and incomprehensible error messages. Besides you have to use "their" updates. An update fucks up your game? touch luck boy. You have to use this update as steam forces it down your throat. No... this piece of crap should be banned from existence.

Comment

Originally posted by rfdparker2002 View Post
                      Well, to be fair, they do a fair bit of benchmarking, and even even made a benchmarking suit, etc.
                      And what a joy that's been. Pages and pages of "results" that don't tell us very much. News on up and coming beta versions and continuous kernel benchmarking that shows huge regressions that will be revealed in up and coming "news" articles.

I think I preferred the blog reposting

Having said that it's sometimes very clear that no understanding are in the articles at all. I think the GLU3 story showed that quite well

I think I might make a benchmark on how quickly phoronix release stories after the original blog goes up, I could then correlate this to the number of grammatical errors. Maybe even have a diff between the blog and the phoronix story too and see how that relates to the previous results and draw outrageous and unfounded conclusions :-D

Grr I shouldn't post when I'm in a bad mood

Comment

Working...
                      X