X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gilboa View Post
    Distribution specific issue?

- Gilboa
    Could be... I know Caster3D got broken over a recent update pushed out for Fedora 12 and one of the ones for Ubuntu 10.4- it happens. Right now, I'm trying to get the fit and finish issues with Chapter 2's beta done so we can fix everyone up right. (By the way...if you're using Fedora 12 or Ubuntu 10.4, and own a copy of Caster, PM me...)

Comment

• With nvidia you could get the win demo too and replace the data files. Worked better with wine than native in the first variant

Comment

• Originally posted by b15hop View Post
        I'm using Arch Linux. I do agree that compiling my own kernel speeds the system up. But compiling a kernel is a bit of a headache these days.
        Don't know about that distro so I can't help. Compiling kernels though is not that difficult in the end especially if you know what hardware is in your machine. Since I build all my PCs (at home or at the office) by myself I know exactly what hardware is in and can tick the right settings. But in general it should work. Could it be that the hardware is faulty? I recently started to get troubles with my USB port for example which (under both Linux and Windows) randomly unhooks the memory stick. Maybe something aged a bit too fast. Hardware nowadays is nowhere as reliable as it has been some time ago unfortunately.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kano View Post
          With nvidia you could get the win demo too and replace the data files. Worked better with wine than native in the first variant
          Yanno... If that's the case, then there's some tuning issues that could be fully related to the developer- because it's not using ANY Windows specific code there. And suggesting WINE is HIGHLY counterproductive- and you know better, Kano...

Comment

• Wine is slower. I'm using the patched 64bit + SMP(?) version of ut2004.

I'm guessing it could well be a distro issue. The reason I'm using Arch is simply due to the speed at which I get back by using a bloat free OS. Though I do realise that the pauses are much worse in windows than in linux. It's definitely accessing the hard drive during that pause. I don't see how two 1TB hdd's should == slow downs in UT2k4 though.

Comment

• You can be sure Kanotix with binary driver is not slower than the distro you are using when you just want to play games. It does not matter at all if you use a bleeding edge distro or not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kano View Post
                You can be sure Kanotix with binary driver is not slower than the distro you are using when you just want to play games. It does not matter at all if you use a bleeding edge distro or not.
                It might be due to a scheduler variance, actually. AMD's driver being so slow for the longest time was more due to problems with their old driver and the scheduler than anything else.

Comment

• Well i currently patch the kernel with BFS.

Comment

• Wasn't compiling the kernel supposed to be easyer these days? Something to do with the build process catching your distro modules too?

Comment

• Originally posted by b15hop View Post
                      This kind of issue has made it easier to be a pirate than to be a good customer.
                      Thanks for that, was a great picture and very much correct. You can add a lot more to that as well of course including blue-rays being ridiculously priced, there not being a way of getting a discount for turning in the same movie on DVD, and just lots of issues in general with companies hosing consumers.

Comment

Working...
                      X