Steam, Source Engine Get First-Rate Love On Mac OS X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CNCFarraday View Post
    Yeah, but from what I saw, many good game engine don't come with networking code beyond connecting to a server and offering a reactor/proactor or stuff like that. Many developers hit a brick wall wit some rather widely used SDKs when they built, 1/2 from scratch, 1/2 from purchased 3rd party libs their networking code, especially modern 'mmo' type and such.
    x)MMO type must write own networking code(especially server) and it's not uncommon to run server(internet) on *nix systems(CS,BattleField,Unreal,LineAge,Wow etc) as M$ servers is PIA generally.
    x)'AAA' titles need to be heavily customized it's not like grab Doom3 engine + buy stock 3d models + 2pages of new text dialogs.. but where money flows there is support from GSDK developers.
    x) from GE site @Unreal Engine 3 is the current technology, aimed at next-gen consoles such as Xbox 360 and Playstation 3, as well as DirectX 10-based PCs. UE3 powered Epic’s Gears of War, as well as Unreal Tournament 3. @
    We had OpenGL/SL conformance and performance test batches and they workd fine on the 'pro' drivers on 'pro' cards but failed there and there on gaming cards and since all the additional costs from a radeon to a firegl or geforce to quadro is in the drivers (hardware is identical) that tells me that their 'consumer' blobs are badly designed and implemented, at least on Linux.
    ... Sound rant...
    Current drivers for my GF488Go/ATI 4870/ATI 4650/Intel GMA just suit my needs for OpenGL Mono.C# multiplatform free-time project.
    Same crap going on windows platform too.Who provide extended sound support for Windows platform? EAX(3rd party,well this where dropped), DSound(bye bye Vista don't support hardware sound accel now),Miles(3rdparty),DoulbyD(3rdparty). Linux now have pulseaudio(which can be a good business product for windows) and for legacy support ALSA.
    Generally on windows platform GOOD SOUND=support of one specific hw vendor(say Creative Inc. in past days).
    I'd rather see them contributing to wine and making their games work. For example, I can almost play Civ4 in wine. I actually played for 2 hours mp until it crashed, even longer in sp.
    I finished a couple modern games in wine. Btw FreeCiv for linux is better as it support MP. Check out Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe (openTTD)

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      See? OS X *is* good for Linux Take that, Apple haters!
      I don't hate Apple so much as I hate what Jobs has been on about lately...

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
        Common, OS X also uses the "binary nvidia drivers", Apple doesn't create it's own version of Nvidia drivers, are you trying to inject some dichotomy between open source as a movement and the quality of the binary drivers on linux and os x.
        Apple actually works pretty closely with their ISV's, based on what I saw when I worked for one of the big two.

Comment

Originally posted by Naib View Post
          unless... there is plans for linux and it is to come as "tier-2"
          There's a hint for you there...

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
            I don't hate Apple so much as I hate what Jobs has been on about lately...
            And what has Jobs been about lately?

Comment

Let's see, I think Jobs has lately said that Google is evil and that Flash sucks. Actually both things I can agree with

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                Let's see, I think Jobs has lately said that Google is evil and that Flash sucks. Actually both things I can agree with
                OR, his company's ridiculously hypocritical software patent lawsuit against HTC (over Android of course); take a look at http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/...le-htc-google/ - pretty much everything is either horribly generic, was being done long before Apple entered the mobile market, or has just been done by everyone for years. And done even bring up the multitasking patent...

(oh, and don't foget how Apple acts with submissions to the iPhone app store)

Comment

He's also in patent bitch-fights with Nokia and HTC in a manner that affects you and everyone else negatively- especially the HTC one.

Comment

True that, the patents against HTC look pretty amazing (from lwn). Against Nokia, I thought Nokia sued first?

Comment

True that, the patents against HTC look pretty amazing (from lwn). Against Nokia, I thought Nokia sued first?
                      Nope, Apple started it and Nokia counter-sued.

Comment

Working...
                      X