No announcement yet.

Unigine Engine Advances, But No Linux Heaven Yet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screw AMD/ATI and release it anyway. It will never be released for GNU/Linux if you wait for them. ATI couldn't write a driver to save their lives.

Comment

... until there is a good Catalyst release
      You might as well wait for the return of Christ.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        Lol, I'll let you send in that email.
        That is interesting. Though I think now it is Heaven 2.0 holding it up. Since they will be showing off Heaven 2.0 at GDC. They are perhaps waiting until then or after to release the new version of Heaven complete with linux support.

Either way I'll ask them at their booth next week. That certainly threw me for a loop.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          I hope when Fermi comes out they still won't be waiting for ATI to fix their drivers to release the linux version.
          My guess, Nvidia will be first to release working drivers with the Fermi.
          I don't care about ATI, they kind of useless for 3D on Linux.
          Proprietary drivers are buggy and crushing. Open source drivers are even worth. The whole "excitement" about KMS is worthless. I do not know anyone using CRT monitor today (flicker free) and most people does not care about boot process. My 75 years old step father's computer, usually has months long uptimes. What is really important for average user is VIDEO PLAYBACK !!! and STABILITY !!! and gaming.
          The rest is nice to have.

Comment

So it's not ATI's drivers that's holding things up - thanks deanjo!

Comment

Straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak. Good to have some facts for once.
              Going back to the discussion, it could be that at this point Unigine is preferring to wait for both vendors to have their hardware/software available so that they can ensure proper compatibility with both.

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
                Straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak. Good to have some facts for once.
                Going back to the discussion, it could be that at this point Unigine is preferring to wait for both vendors to have their hardware/software available so that they can ensure proper compatibility with both.
                Oh come on... No offense, though, now that the Unigine devs have stated that fglrx, on which a fair bit of the most vocal users here enjoy taking a dump at every single opportunity like it was a national sport*, isn't at fault, everything's just fine and dandy, and pure "for the best of our users" logic?
                Nvidia strong-arming smaller players is far from new, you know... Hence I steer clear of their products as much as I can, their gear might deliver (might be ok for those all about "what's best for me, here and now"), though in my view the company doesn't, not in a long term, sustainable and healthy competitive way.

* since you in particular usually take a more rational approach, it makes your comment all the more surreal heh

Comment

That's why we need more info on the subject. We at least now know for sure that fglrx isn't what's holding back the release at this point in time. The idea that nvidia is the cause is just as much speculation as Unigine themselves wanting to wait; we just don't know. I don't like to point fingers based on assumptions and speculation.

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
                    That's why we need more info on the subject. We at least now know for sure that fglrx isn't what's holding back the release at this point in time. The idea that nvidia is the cause is just as much speculation as Unigine themselves wanting to wait; we just don't know. I don't like to point fingers based on assumptions and speculation.
                    Point taken. However, the windows version has been out for a while, the GTX 480's launch is planned for the 26th of march, nVidia has a Unigine-demo up http://www.youtube.com/v/vpdPSZB8A8E

Comment

All theories aside, I just hope that whoever is holding it up is doing it for a very good reason, and are being nice about it. We'll just have to wait for it be released I guess.

Comment

Working...
                      X