X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Svartalf
    replied
    Originally posted by jonwil View Post
    I know of at least one case (cant really say) where in order to release the source code they would need to examine every line of code to remove ALL 3rd party encumbrances. And even then one would need a Bink license, a Miles license and a GameSpy license (and possibly others) in order to actually USE the code.
    Only if you don't update the codebase to use something more acceptable. The biggest impediments to going that direction is that you'd need permission to update the assets on the title. Doable, but it's a slightly harder sell to do that than getting the source code.

Leave a comment:

• jonwil
    replied
    Sometimes with games that old, source code has been lost.
    Also, many games used 3rd party libraries or tech that may not be releasable (look at ID Software and the issues with the DOOM sound library)

I know of at least one case (cant really say) where in order to release the source code they would need to examine every line of code to remove ALL 3rd party encumbrances. And even then one would need a Bink license, a Miles license and a GameSpy license (and possibly others) in order to actually USE the code.

Leave a comment:

• whizse
    replied
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Just noticed this morning that the classic Command a& Conquer games have been made freeware from EA.

Are you ready for the ultimate real-time strategy experience? Gather resources, build your base, and create the most powerful armies in the world before engaging the enemy in all-out war.

Should be able to get these going with wine or with FreeCNC.
    That's nice, but it's a little disappointing that it's just the game, and no source code. I really wish more game devs would release the source of old titles under a free licence, like what Eidos did with Warzone 2100.

(Supposedly that happened as the result of a fan petition, but I guess it's unlikely to expect the same result with Red Alert, EA being EA...)

Leave a comment:

• monraaf
    replied
    Game works fine here with ati driver. Played it for a couple of minutes, then deleted it. I can see why they give away the game for free

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by curaga View Post
    Nope, still grinds to halt whenever mouse is moved in-game. Now on wine 1.1.38, previously on 1.1.11. This is with the opengl registry tweak done.

Must be another of those Nvidia-Wine things.

CLFS x64
    xf86-video-ati 6.12.4 git
    Xorg 1.7.4

Ahhhh, say no more, your using an ATI card, nuff said.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by StringCheesian View Post
    This is awesome.

It runs perfectly for me. You should try a more recent version of wine.

Gentoo ~amd64
    nvidia driver 195.36.03
    xorg-server 1.6.5 (because 1.6 is stable and 1.7 froze twice)
    wine 1.1.38 (from git, last updated Feb 7)
    Works fine here as well, killed a few hours on it last night.

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    Yeah

But hey, it worked perfectly for the two games I have so far played on it - Red Alert and Stars!

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    You're using Wine with the open source radeon driver? You must be insane

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    Originally posted by StringCheesian View Post
    It runs perfectly for me. You should try a more recent version of wine.

Gentoo ~amd64
    nvidia driver 195.36.03
    xorg-server 1.6.5 (because 1.6 is stable and 1.7 froze twice)
    wine 1.1.38 (from git, last updated Feb 7)
    Nope, still grinds to halt whenever mouse is moved in-game. Now on wine 1.1.38, previously on 1.1.11. This is with the opengl registry tweak done.

Must be another of those Nvidia-Wine things.

CLFS x64
    xf86-video-ati 6.12.4 git
    Xorg 1.7.4

Leave a comment:

• kraftman
    replied
    Originally posted by curaga View Post
    now there's also Tiberian Dawn and Tiberian Sun + Firestorm.

Gotta get downloading!
    Great news! I played for months in Tiberian Sun.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X