No announcement yet.

New 3D Game Engine Targets Linux Gamers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can pull semantics out of your rear as much as you want but it doesn't change the fact that with the expression "clone of a game" one refers to a game which is very similar to another game because for example using the same game mechanics but changing artwork, characters, the world or parameters on the game mechanics itself.

And I have very well respect. But if you would know me you would know that I'm known for my sharp tongue and being direct. I name stuff the way it is not sugar-talking it. That's the job of AAAs.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
      You can pull semantics out of your rear as much as you want but it doesn't change the fact that with the expression "clone of a game" one refers to a game which is very similar to another game because for example using the same game mechanics but changing artwork, characters, the world or parameters on the game mechanics itself.

And I have very well respect. But if you would know me you would know that I'm known for my sharp tongue and being direct. I name stuff the way it is not sugar-talking it. That's the job of AAAs.
      You're a funny guy

Comment

I just wanted to let you guys know: I'm currently discussing with Panos about using his engine for my commercial game project.

Yes, it will be open source, and it will see a release on Linux first.

Comment

Originally posted by azraelthe7th View Post
          I just wanted to let you guys know: I'm currently discussing with Panos about using his engine for my commercial game project.

Yes, it will be open source, and it will see a release on Linux first.
          A commercial open-source game? I'm interested. How's that gonna work?
          Will the engine be foss and the actual game-content for sale?

Comment

Originally posted by Zhick View Post
            A commercial open-source game? I'm interested. How's that gonna work?
            Will the engine be foss and the actual game-content for sale?
            My understanding of Open Source liscencing is that it doesn't prohibit selling software using open code, so long as it's available freely.

The success of a project like this (and others in the same vein) could encourage other companies to release their code freely, knowing that they can still make sales.

Comment

To further elaborate: A portion of the profits on this game will go to the open source software used in its production (Blender, MyPaint, GIMP), meaning we can see further developments on those tools in the future.

The game is currently set to be released episodically, with a first release by Xmas 2012, allowing us to give a solid gameplay experience with current-gen quality graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by azraelthe7th View Post
                My understanding of Open Source liscencing is that it doesn't prohibit selling software using open code, so long as it's available freely.

The success of a project like this (and others in the same vein) could encourage other companies to release their code freely, knowing that they can still make sales.
                You didn't really answer his question, so I'm still a bit confused.
                How will you get people to buy the game as opposed to just compiling the source for free?

Will you do like what ID does and give out the engine code, but make you pay for the textures, 3D models, and maps?

Comment

Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
                  You didn't really answer his question, so I'm still a bit confused.
                  How will you get people to buy the game as opposed to just compiling the source for free?

Will you do like what ID does and give out the engine code, but make you pay for the textures, 3D models, and maps?
                  ID releases the code when they release a new version of the game. We'll release the code when the game is completed (fully completed, not after each episode) same goes for the art (the specifics haven't been decided yet).

As for compiling, I don't know many people (average users) who enjoy the idea of compiling, and we're lucky in the open source world not to have anything resembling pirates so far. If anything, just knowing that we can release games without DRM, and free code could be reason enough for most potential buyers to do so, especially if it sends a signal to larger companies.

Comment

Sounds very cool, I have been hoping more game developers would start doing this, so best of luck to you!

Any chance of you revealing what kind of a game it will be?

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
                      Would you call Oblivion a clone of Gothic? Or Need for Speed a clone of Colin McRae Rally? If so, then I guess I see how by your definition Nexuiz is a clone of Quake.
                      But I'm pretty sure most people would disagree with your definition of what is a clone then.

Comment

Working...
                      X