New 3D Game Engine Targets Linux Gamers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wyatt View Post
    If the artists and programmers can't even manage to get together, how hard is it for them to get someone competent from the design end of things?
    you definitely need to fill the design and leadership shoes at the get go, or it will be an absolute quagmire.

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
      you definitely need to fill the design and leadership shoes at the get go, or it will be an absolute quagmire.
      Right. But from the standpoint of an open project, how do you do that? Unless you have polymath programmers or artists that can pull those roles as well, you would need someone to help coordinate. And you have to convince everyone that it's necessary. That's what I'm getting at.

If you don't have someone who can do design/direction/production, how do you get a team together for something with any amount of meat?

Comment

Right. But from the standpoint of an open project, how do you do that? Unless you have polymath programmers or artists that can pull those roles as well, you would need someone to help coordinate. And you have to convince everyone that it's necessary. That's what I'm getting at.

If you don't have someone who can do design/direction/production, how do you get a team together for something with any amount of meat?
        your absolutely right . I fear that I cannot answer that question as i simply dont know.

Devs need to put their feet behind said designer at the get go, which is hard in a world where we all like to be our own boss. As the FOSS game designer you also need to know where to find dev's, because they wont find you.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
          I do believe that they asked them if Michael wanted to include it in the performance benchmarks. Have you thought about doing the same?
          Nope, because that's not the way it should be. Stuff should be included in the benchmark suit because it fits in and helps stress test something the other existing benchmarks can not cover not because somebody wants to get coverage. After all this benchmark suit is for benchmarking not a PR showcase, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
            Nope, because that's not the way it should be. Stuff should be included in the benchmark suit because it fits in and helps stress test something the other existing benchmarks can not cover not because somebody wants to get coverage. After all this benchmark suit is for benchmarking not a PR showcase, right?
            Well the first thing I would do Dragonlord is to request Michael to change your "Senior Member" status to something that at least reflected your project. Second thing would to be at least put together a technology demo that shows off what sets your project apart from the rest.

Comment

I agree with you 100%, the problem with alot of OSS projects, especially ones to do with games, developers tend to bicker and just alot of BS. When I think of a OSS game gone bad in the inside, I think Open Arena all the way. Great potential, but inconsistencies in the artwork and bickering among the internals along with big egos kinda screwed it up.

I'll say this, if you got the right guys together that were willing to do it all for free as a hobby, for fun, and cooperated and were organized, I absolutely think anything is possible. But its easier said than done unfortunately. Its kinda sad. For some reason people always think with dollar signs, or me me me. Now, I understand if you're running a business and all, its business.

But I mean, if you're just some guy who already does something else for a living and just happen to be a great 3d modeler, why not do it for free if you enjoy it? Sometimes I don't understand people, but maybe I'm too generous at times because if I was say a great 3d modeler, I would absolutely join a OSS game project that interested me and contribute in the artwork style of it. I don't think I'd even blink an eye.

Sorry, end of rant. hehe

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                Well the first thing I would do Dragonlord is to request Michael to change your "Senior Member" status to something that at least reflected your project. Second thing would to be at least put together a technology demo that shows off what sets your project apart from the rest.
                Why should I? It's fine like that and people who know me know what I'm working with. No need for custom titles. I've seen enough drama with custom titles on boards I'm staffer on.

Concerning demos there are enough videos and articles around which describe well what puts this engine apart of others. A true demo with exec will not be done right now since what I ( and many other devers ) hate most are constant ABI/API changes/breaking. And this project relies on a heavy amount of interfacing/bridging.

Chances are I'm too cautious in that regard and that what I call alpha is most probably already beta-squared in FOSS world but I really hate API-drama. Just maintain GenToo boxes and see how often you get in troubles when some dickhead makes a minor update which breaks API/ABI. I don't want users of my project to go through that hell, no thanks.

Comment

Why should I? It's fine like that and people who know me know what I'm working with. No need for custom titles. I've seen enough drama with custom titles on boards I'm staffer on.

Concerning demos there are enough videos and articles around which describe well what puts this engine apart of others. A true demo with exec will not be done right now since what I ( and many other devers ) hate most are constant ABI/API changes/breaking. And this project relies on a heavy amount of interfacing/bridging.

Chances are I'm too cautious in that regard and that what I call alpha is most probably already beta-squared in FOSS world but I really hate API-drama. Just maintain GenToo boxes and see how often you get in troubles when some dickhead makes a minor update which breaks API/ABI. I don't want users of my project to go through that hell, no thanks.
                  Well then don't get your nose out of shape when your project doesn't get the recognition that you feel it deserves.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                    Well then don't get your nose out of shape when your project doesn't get the recognition that you feel it deserves.
                    When did I say that?

Comment

When did I say that?
                      Right here:

Great... so FOSS stuff gets only mentioned if the makers sneak into the ass of the phoronix writers? Now that I call "free journalism" :/ ...

Comment

Working...
                      X