New 3D Game Engine Targets Linux Gamers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
    All we lack is artists, time and a solid goal. A big game will require a big team, but the more FOSS developers you throw at a project the more they are all going to want to do things differently. Artists are apparently hard to come by these days. I dont think there are limits for FOSS projects should they be properly organized and have suffice manpower (or womanpower).
    As for available resources, Blender now has a ton of reusable objects. Even these are scattered, but, they exist.

XreaL's reworked version of radiant apparently can use Blender objects. That is an important step to minimize redundant work. So many components are there, but in a disarray.

Looking at Nexuiz again, I think they have done a marvellous job of releasing maps at http://maps.nexuizninjaz.com/.

Dooms3 maps can be found at http://doom3.filefront.com/ and http://www.map-factory.org/doom-3

And, http://www.qeradiant.com with its offspring http://darkradiant.sourceforge.net are fantastic too.

So, even a great deal of artwork is there, almost like cherries hanging from a tree.

Comment

All we lack is artists, time and a solid goal.
      Those are exactly the 3 reasons why there will never be a big open source game. Let's be realistic.... artists are hard to find and generally want to be paid, time is devil, and solid reasons to work on a full finished game where development requires 3-4 years...? Nah, this won't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
        Those are exactly the 3 reasons why there will never be a big open source game. Let's be realistic.... artists are hard to find and generally want to be paid, time is devil, and solid reasons to work on a full finished game where development requires 3-4 years...? Nah, this won't happen.
        Let us be realistic. The links I had provided included hundreds of maps, done in spare time. The talent is there, has been there, but it is just waiting to be tapped by the right project, again.

Comment

Originally posted by sabriah View Post
          Call of Duty, the Modern Warfare series are the best selling games ever.
          I believe the Sims still hold that title with over 35 million copies sold between Sims 1 and 2 and their expansion packs. Add the later Sims 3 and CoD has a long way to go yet.

Comment

Great... so FOSS stuff gets only mentioned if the makers sneak into the ass of the phoronix writers? Now that I call "free journalism" :/ ...

Comment

We can certainly obtain commercial quality results with FLOSS. Look at ogre, that 3d engine can rip hard ass. OpenAL is heavily used commercially.
              The only reason for openAL's new found success is because of Vista dropping sound acceleration from their DirectX. Ironically you can thank Microsoft for that open standards recent success.

Comment

This project lives at SF, in case anyone is interested in trying it out:
                Download AnKi 3D engine for free. 3D engine build on Opengl. Utilizes normal mapping, parallax mapping, environment mapping, shadowmapping, HDR, SSAO and more.

I could get it to build, but not to run. Seems like the GLSL preprocessor in Mesa didn't like the shaders.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
                  Great... so FOSS stuff gets only mentioned if the makers sneak into the ass of the phoronix writers? Now that I call "free journalism" :/ ...
                  Hmm? Simply stating how that's I found out about the project was via a PTS inquiry. Had the developer just wrote in through my news inbox it still would have got coverage since this looks like an interesting project and there is a video to back it up.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
                    I still believe games can only be done in a proprietary commercial environment. Too much money is needed to develop a modern game. Too much knowledge, graphics, story, music, physics, time. I just can't see a Final Fantasy-like game made in an open environment.
                    I just hope wine gets to the point where x game just works out of the box. Developers will never abandon DirectX for gaming.
                    I don't think that will ever happen with Wine, it will always be some way behind actual Windows. Some developers will never abandom DirectX but there are plenty that do use OpenGL and will release commercial games for Linux, those are the ones we should be supporting rather than buying Windows games to run on Wine.

Comment

Originally posted by grantek View Post
                      The open-source 3d games I've seen have really advanced engines, and that's great, but the big difference between them and commercial games is just the art/content in them. It'd be cool if more talented artists used FOSS games as their portfolios rather than mods for commercial games.
                      Unemployed artists fresh out of art school are two dozen in a dozen. There must be plenty of them willing to work for a game project under linux. Even for relative low wage. I think that for projects to be open source does not mean you cannot hire some talent to do the things that programmers are not good at. Maybe enough donatations or sponsors, or maybe in-game advertisement can be found to pay for cheap otherwise-unemployed artists?
                      The artists gets to pay the rent, and food, and extends his/her portfolio.

Comment

Working...
                      X