No announcement yet.

New Ryan Gordon Game Port Goes Into Beta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exactly. The GLSL code is still being written so enabling it by default would probably be a Bad Thing.
    Test signature

Comment

I got some more interesting results:

I ran the game with LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1, and suddenly it was playable. Framerates still sucked; it wasn't even close to smooth. Also, there's quite a bit of graphical corruption in some of the backgrounds, and in some of the popup menu dialogs. What are probably big images appear as large white rectangles.

Despite these issues, I was able to put in a solid hour of playtime. Man, this is a beautiful work of art. I'm liking it -- but in order to stick with it, the display and performance issues have to be fixed. They're somewhere in my graphics stack . . . but where?

Comment

Originally posted by nightmorph View Post
        Would enabling GLSL give better performance, or worse? How can I check for GLSL support in the configure options? I don't see anything like it in the configure log, either enabled or disabled.
        Aquaria doesn't use GLSL. It's all fixed-function, immediate mode (gasp!).

It _does_ use FBOs for some of the effects, which explains why there was a visual improvement for disabling them...driver bug, I guess.

--ryan.

Comment

I can't wait for this game to be released.
          I gave the beta a try and so far have encountered no problems, except that, contrary to what the tutorial tells you, the left shift button does not let you look around.
          There's one question I have btw: From the games website I can see that the windows-version is 20$ while the Mac-version still is at its original price of 30$. How much will the Linux-version be? I wouldn't mind to pay 30$, but it's kinda annoying to know you're paying more than the windows users.

Comment

Originally posted by Zhick View Post
            I wouldn't mind to pay 30$, but it's kinda annoying to know you're paying more than the windows users.
            While I sort of see your point, I don't agree with this. Linux is a far smaller market, so certain costs have to be paid by smaller groups. Essentially, if we want Linux games, we will have to pay more because there are less of us.

Once we have enough games, hopefully our numbers will grow, and than the price of the games will drop, but for now I am happy to pay a premium for a Linux version (so long as it IS a Linux version and not just a "windows + other platforms" version)

Comment

Originally posted by Zhick View Post
              There's one question I have btw: From the games website I can see that the windows-version is 20$ while the Mac-version still is at its original price of 30$. How much will the Linux-version be? I wouldn't mind to pay 30$, but it's kinda annoying to know you're paying more than the windows users.
              We haven't talked about pricing at all yet, or even how/where to sell it. We'll be sorting that all out soon.

--ryan.

Comment

Working...
              X