A New Game Comes To Linux And It's Not A FPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Can't somebody just get the source from the Ubuntu repositories or something? The older versions are FLOSS. The newest version is closed source...

But it's a waste of time anyway. If you are looking for an awesome race sim then you sure as hell won't find it by downloading Racer. You controll you freaking car with your mouse... If you don't have a HID USB controller with analog sticks then you're screwed anyway :')
    While it might appear differently, this thread is actually about Quantz, not Racer. And I think that's also what Schugy was referring to.
    BTW Racer is not and has never been FLOSS, its developer even stressed this himself. You may download some very old sources, but they come with a weird license (which basically says personal use only) and thus is incompatible with pretty much all popular open-source licenses

Comment

Originally posted by Zhick View Post
      While it might appear differently, this thread is actually about Quantz, not Racer.
      Okey so let's get back on track Quantz is a great example of how for example Linux is awesome for indie game development.

You can release a closed source game with the MIT licensed Panda3D game engine for example and reach a very broad audience. Broader than on Windows because that 'platform' is saturated with games and high quality at it.

Tools are available and all and with Kubuntu 9.10 (and I am sure some other distros too ) you have feature parity with the Windows 7 and Mac OS 10.6 DE, solid hardware support (you have to buy an Apple for Mac OS X, Windows 7 parts for Windows 7 and Linux parts for Linux, so please don't complain if you haven't informed yourself before you bought something that happens to not work with Linux ) and all we are missing now is entertainment.

I would not buy Quantz though because I would go for Wine + Steam + Peggle Deluxe, which rocks!

Comment

The links are working again- this is apparently beta 1.1.2, and there's this message as well:
        64 bit version forthcoming (use the .tar.gz version for now if you have a 64 bit system and want to try the game)

Comment

It still crashes when keytouch is used to change volume.

Comment

This game looks awesome. As wrong as it might sounds, I can't wait to buy it!
            Rob
            email: [email protected]

Comment

Runs fine for me, ubuntu 64 bit, used the tar.gz file. Only played it for 15 minutes, need to give it a good run.

Comment

You may not distribute the software to others without first obtaining the required authorization or license from Gamerizon.
                This is the age of data sharing and communication. Watch me. :3

Comment

The open source ATI drivers can ALMOST run it...almost as in run everything up until the 3D part, then it crashes for me.

Comment

It looks nice and works with the ATI proprietary driver, sound doesn't work for me tho.

Comment

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
                      It looks nice and works with the ATI proprietary driver, sound doesn't work for me tho.
                      To get sound, you need either padsp or aoss (package name could be alsa-oss or something similar). If you look in the thread here somemore, there should be a few other methods for getting sound.

Comment

Working...
                      X