Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unigine Heaven For Linux Status Update

Phoronix: Unigine Heaven For Linux Status Update

Our Russian friends at Unigine Corp, who have their very impressive Unigine Engine that is multi-platform and delivers the best graphics on Linux and have said they like Linux very much, last month released Unigine Heaven. Heaven is the most-impressive tech demo / benchmark yet, but when released in October it only came out for Windows with its DirectX 11 renderer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

In other words there's no reason not to release it now, since most users won't see the tessellation any way. I also don't get the part about waiting on AMD. If it doesn't run with particular drivers, just blame the drivers if they're at fault. Holding a demo back because of one particular driver seems a bit silly but whatever.
    Last edited by Yfrwlf; 12 November 2009, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
      In other words there's no reason not to release it now, since most users won't see the tessellation any way. I also don't get the part about waiting on AMD. If it doesn't run with particular drivers, just blame the drivers if they're at fault. Holding a demo back because of one particular driver seems a bit silly but whatever.
      The problem being, that is the driver for only hardware that supports tessellation. They could as well be waiting for nvidia's hardware to show up.

I really don't see the problem in releasing the demo without tessellation, and adding it later when the support comes.

Comment

Besides that, for the tessellation functionality you will need DirectX 11 grade hardware (such as AMD's Radeon HD 5000 "Evergreen" series GPUs, like the Radeon HD 5750 and Radeon HD 5770) or NVIDIA's GeForce GT 300 "Fermi" series once released. This hardware isn't exactly widespread at the moment, so most Linux users already will be limited to running the non-tessellated version of Unigine Heaven.
        since when is DirectX running under linux

or, more specific: why do we (linuxusers) need a DirectX11 graphicchip for OpenGL?
        Last edited by Detructor; 12 November 2009, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Because you want to use some of the features defined by DX11 on Linux via OpenGL extensions.
          Test signature

Comment

Will this run on OpenGL 1.5? I'd like to try this on my 4850 using the mesa driver.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              Because you want to use some of the features defined by DX11 on Linux via OpenGL extensions.
              wasn't the tassellation unit present also in DX10.1 parts?

Comment

Yes, but it's a different design, without the hull and domain shaders AFAIK.
                Test signature

Comment

ah okay...so I've to buy a new graphiccard.

whoa...that is the very first time that I buy a new graphiccard because of game and not just because I'm buying a whole new PC, because my old one is either not working anymore or it is given away to parents.

cool o_0

however, ATI will gain some money through that game/demo/engine

Comment

So it seems AMD has the lead this time?
                    Fermi is somewhere in 2010 and with Catalyst 10.1 we have DirectX11-feature on Linux long before Nvidia can deliver something equal.

Congratulations AMD

Now kick TSMC and make them bake some chips, so you hopefully don't miss christmas (as happened with the 3870). And then bring the stock to 100$ per share

Comment

Working...
                    X