Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smitty3268
    replied
    FatELF reminds me of the meetings I go to with my manager where buzzwords are flying around. "Universal Binaries" must be good, right? It will help our synergy as we move forward in this web 2.0 world.

Seriously, FatELF takes something you can already do on Linux and makes it a little more elegant. Which would be nice if people were using that functionality a lot, but as it is you're talking about making deep changes across the system libraries for a very limited payoff.

Yes, I know the chicken vs egg problem. In this case, I respectfully argue that the egg from Ryan needs to come first.
    Last edited by smitty3268; 06 November 2009, 04:34 AM.

Leave a comment:

• energyman
    replied
    Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
    for example. fatelf obviosly has 2 hidden agendas.

1. to make everyone fat elves so that santa can build enough Xbox 360's for all the little brats.

2. Microsoft takeover. fatelf, fat filesystem, Steve Balmer.

Its no wonder it wasn't accepted into the kernel. It makes perfectly logical sense. This, ontop of the arguments that its useless or that it could help unify our package management.

Honestly, legal aside: This useless crap is about 80% more useful then the other useless crap already sitting in the kernel. So why the hell not. Tux is already an obese bastard so why not just feed him what he likes. I personally think that bloat-phobia has taken over the kernel dev team and they are scared of anything FAT.
    a) patents

b) there is no useless bloat in the kernel. Everything in the kernel is usefull for somebody.

c) fatelf is not usefull for anybody.

Leave a comment:

• energyman
    replied
    [QUOTE=deanjo;98859
    $LOTS OF CRAP
    [/QUOTE]

you raised no point so far why fatelf is better than rpm or tarballs. In fact, you have only written the same crap so far, ignoring the arguments of others. You are completly missing the points. And you obviously don't understand the problem. Fatelf has been shown by douzends of people to be a completly unneeded even idiotic mess. And you still think its great.

Are you just trolling?

Leave a comment:

• energyman
    replied
    Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    See that is exactly why I said it is a shame....

Fatelf solves the problem where you can have only the required 32bits libs needed and nothing else, and it stores them in a convenient way also abides traditional filesystem layout. It removes the need for a whole bunch of stupid symlinks and makes finding and linking libraries a hell of a lot easier.
    no, it doesn't. In fact, FATELF makes the crap WORSE. Instead of a bunch of 32bit libs, you have 32bit crap in EVERY lib.

FATELF is an idiotic solution in search for a problem. There are no upsides, many downsides.

Even the 'COMMERCIAL GAME' argument is null and void. Put all your crap in /opt and have a simple shell script extract the binary and libs for the arch. Done. Or let the PM do it for you. Or deliver everything in 32bit and make 64bit a tiny download. Whatever.

FATELF makes things WORSE. Not better.

Leave a comment:

• L33F3R
    replied
    Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
    a bunch more everyone keeps missing in this discussion...
    for example. fatelf obviosly has 2 hidden agendas.

1. to make everyone fat elves so that santa can build enough Xbox 360's for all the little brats.

2. Microsoft takeover. fatelf, fat filesystem, Steve Balmer.

Its no wonder it wasn't accepted into the kernel. It makes perfectly logical sense. This, ontop of the arguments that its useless or that it could help unify our package management.

Honestly, legal aside: This useless crap is about 80% more useful then the other useless crap already sitting in the kernel. So why the hell not. Tux is already an obese bastard so why not just feed him what he likes. I personally think that bloat-phobia has taken over the kernel dev team and they are scared of anything FAT.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    Quoting Barney Frank immediately disqualifies you from every further discussion you will ever consider having for the rest of your life... I truly hope you can one day earn your right to speak again....Though quoting Barney Frank once usually means permanent stupidity and your mind is now completely unrecoverable.

I personally will -NEVER- respect you again..
    Ha Ha Ha! Actually I was just watching the Colbert report and it jumped into my mind. Sorry...

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    My god, this is like talking to Quaridarium. Only with better punctuation and spelling.

You've still never answered how the FatELF solution is any better than the World of Goo, stick everything in a tarball solution we already have today.

It's not exactly rocket science trying to figure out whether or not you're on a 64 or 32 bit architecture. We're talking about a couple of lines of code here, not something difficult. In fact, I'd think all the complicated changes FatELF brings about to solve this would be much more likely to have some bug in it. And if the script was broken somehow, it would be a matter of seconds for the company (or even the end user) to fix it.
    Quoting Barney Frank immediately disqualifies you from every further discussion you will ever consider having for the rest of your life... I truly hope you can one day master the ability to think critically again....Though quoting Barney Frank once usually results in permanent stupidity and unrecoverable memory erasure.....

I personally will -NEVER- respect you again..
    Last edited by duby229; 05 November 2009, 11:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    My god, this is like talking to Quaridarium. Only with better punctuation and spelling.

You've still never answered how the FatELF solution is any better than the World of Goo, stick everything in a tarball solution we already have today.

It's not exactly rocket science trying to figure out whether or not you're on a 64 or 32 bit architecture. We're talking about a couple of lines of code here, not something difficult. In fact, I'd think all the complicated changes FatELF brings about to solve this would be much more likely to have some bug in it. And if the script was broken somehow, it would be a matter of seconds for the company (or even the end user) to fix it.

Originally posted by Barney Frank
    "Trying to have a conversation with you would be like trying to have an argument with a dining room table, and I have no interest in doing it."

Leave a comment:

• Svartalf
    replied
    Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    Yeah, I already posted that but everyone in here just continues talking the same stuff all over again and totally ignoring that article.

Go figure (yes, this is the interwebs.)
    Heh... I didn't ignore the article. I believe that I point out some aspects of the thing- and a bunch more everyone keeps missing in this discussion...

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
    http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?opti...ice&Itemid=277

Packages for Ubuntu 9.04 + 7.04 + 7.10, Debian Lenny + Etch, RHEL 4 + 5, OpenSuse 10.2, and a generic 32 bit for the weirdo's on arch, slackware, and gentoo.
    Thanks for proving my point. Ya that's really up to date isn't it? Hell opensuse's compression on it's rpm (or it's version of RPM) isn't even the same anymore. SuSE 10.2, wtf, really a version that was released in 2006. Heck not even a mandriva version. And of course you notice the "generic" is only 32-bit.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X