Unigine Heaven On Linux In A Month Or Two

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr_Alien_Overlord View Post
    Any new game that looked that good on Linux would be a good thing. I'd love to see a platformer myself, but I'd still buy a FPS deathmatch shooter.
    Ratchet and Clank FTW! Oh wait...not on Linux.

Comment

Tesselation info

Lets get a few tesselation things the way the facts are.
      I've saw quite a few posts that are just plain ignorance regarding tesselation.

At the moment there is no tesselation for opengl, not even in extensions, that works exactly like the DX11 one.

However, ATI has had a tesselation extension in his cards for quite a few releases now. They will probably (that's just my guess) update it or provide a new one.

Nvidia on the other hand is doing something strange. I haven't read it anywhere else except here: http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boa...rue#Post264535 which does seem to indicate that nvidia is indeed making a tesselation shader for OpenGL GL_NV_tessellation_shader. Which "seems" to be present in the 191.00 driver once released (pure 100% speculation on the pointed opengl topic) The person that made the post doesn't seem to making it all up

So, if this is all true then it's just time to wait till there comes a OpenGL version that requires tesselation to be one of the core modules. (OpenGL 3.3? 3.4? 4.0?) They better be fast otherwise DirectX is indeed (since version 11) better then OpenGL.

hmm.. i wanted to note down facts and i noted down a lot of speculation.. o well see what you do with it. it's interesting info and i can't wait till the 191.00 nvidia driver comes

Comment

Originally posted by markg85 View Post
        So, if this is all true then it's just time to wait till there comes a OpenGL version that requires tesselation to be one of the core modules. (OpenGL 3.3? 3.4? 4.0?) They better be fast otherwise DirectX is indeed (since version 11) better then OpenGL.
        I believe the ARB is working on approving a proposed unified spec for that...they had a similar spec approved out shortly after DX10 shipped that covered the functionality provided with that version of DirectX.

As it stands, it's somewhat debatable that having tesselation like we see on D3Dv11 makes it "better" than OpenGL. I'm fairly sure you can get at something similar doing CUDA or OpenCL as all of this is really little more than stream processing these days- it just won't be as clean as the other way.

Comment

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
          Sometimes I wonder if that's the only game type some gamers know about anymore. What about puzzle, platformer, strategy, roleplaying, arcade, racing, sports, or hell something new and innovative or a combination of the above. ^^

Any way, looks pretty Unigine, some nice 3D artists you have there.

Oddly enough, I though about a Myst style puzzler.

Comment

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
            Ratchet and Clank FTW! Oh wait...not on Linux.
            Man, I love Ratchet and Clank. R&C runs on a PS3. Linux runs on a PS3. So close. So very close...

Comment

Working...
            X