No announcement yet.

Epic Games Changes Story, Unsure About UT3 Linux Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If this game ever has a Linux port then any Linux user who is going to buy it is an idiot.
    Sometimes is acceptable for a company to say we can't support Linux because we just can't, is not profitable, is expensive etc and a totally different thing to treat the Linux users like they are shitty. Unfortunately, they ruined the good reputation they had earned all these years with their Linux games. I will boycott Epic games from now on till the day they release a Linux game before the windows version just to ask for forgiveness. My life will continue to be nice even without their games.

Apopas

Comment

Instead of speaking of this Epic Failure i'm more interested hearing things like linux version of Steam and of HL2 port... oh by the way Epic should ask LGP to port to linux that will be more helpful for LGP porting experience than letting the port to Icculus...

Comment

I get the feeling Epic is being less than honest here. I think they know exactly what's going on, and the ugly truth would send their stock plummeting.

Comment

Exactly how stupid do they think we are?
          It is still on Ryan's plate, but he has many other projects as well. I don't have an estimate for if or when it will be completed.
          Riiight... So Ryan's got plenty of projects to do (which we've heard nothing about) and somehow can't finish this "nearly done port" because it's not on the priority-part of the todo-list, despite the fact that the community expected this to be released nearly 2 years ago and a lot of people are pissed because of this. Yeah, it makes a lot of sense that porting UT3 would be the last thing to do right now.

Epic & Co: Please quit lying, it's way to obvious. a) it's done (or almost done) and stuck because of legal issues, payment related issues or some other issues which prevents publishing, or b) there's never been done any real work on the port at all, aka. you guys don't want it ported anyway. It's as simple as that, because I can't see any likely reason as to why the port would be partially finished without either being true. There is no way porting UT3 takes anything remotely like 2 years even for one person. If there's been any real attempt to port this, it would've been release a long time ago unless Epic just pulled the plug on this one, and don't want it ported anyway, or there's an unresolved issue related to releasing it. Pick you choose.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
            Is a ***GAME*** seriously attention worthy?
            WTF?
            Of course. How else will Phoronix be able to increase ad revenue? Do you really believe that silly benchmark articles which don't simulate real world uses of operating systems will ever increase page hits as much as tabloid rumor mongering and finger pointing?

Comment

*yawn* the unreal tournament games...they are (compared to Quake games) slow in gameplay and slow when it comes to performance.

give us some news about other games. like about the creators of WorldOfGoo, or S2Games or idSoftware or dunno what.

but stop writing texts about something that will not change.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                Is a ***GAME*** seriously attention worthy?
                WTF?

Even if it *was* completed, would it really matter? Would anyone CARE? Sure, a small handful of kids who have absolutely nothing better to do might run it for a few hours (collectively), and then in a matter of days, it will be forgotten altogether.

ITS JUST A DUMB GAME. Enough about it!
                well this dumb game would have been a huge leap in linux graphics, Especially 2 years ago. It would have been something we could point to and go, hey, this is a viable platform and you should be developing for it.

You dont sound like a gamer to me, at any rate. Some people look at this the same way as people who want photoshop (for lack of a better example off the top of my head) on linux. That said, more people probably would like photoshop .

Comment

It's important.

Guys, I know you may say "It's just a game!". And, an old game (by now) at that.

And, you're completely correct to say that. But, that's not what this is about.

This is about lying to the Linux community and treating us like second class citizens. If no one gets outraged, how will they ever know we're here and that they lost sales?

The entire situation has been mismanaged by Epic. They had it working a year ago, unless those screenshots are fake. So, they should just come out and say it: "We're not interested in releasing a Linux port." Even better, open source the (by now) antiquated code and let us finish it. It's not like they'd lose any sales for it, and it would increase their reputation at least a few eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by 3vi1 View Post
                    Even better, open source the (by now) antiquated code and let us finish it. It's not like they'd lose any sales for it, and it would increase their reputation at least a few eyes.
                    They'd lose quite a few engine licence sales. Think 6+ digits per customer.

Comment

Originally posted by 3vi1 View Post
                      Guys, I know you may say "It's just a game!". And, an old game (by now) at that.

And, you're completely correct to say that. But, that's not what this is about.

This is about lying to the Linux community and treating us like second class citizens. If no one gets outraged, how will they ever know we're here and that they lost sales?

The entire situation has been mismanaged by Epic. They had it working a year ago, unless those screenshots are fake. So, they should just come out and say it: "We're not interested in releasing a Linux port." Even better, open source the (by now) antiquated code and let us finish it. It's not like they'd lose any sales for it, and it would increase their reputation at least a few eyes.

Please, they aren't "lying"! They are "misplacing the facts", that's really different, in a marketing point of vue

They won't open the source because of the 3rd party code which is in their src code... Maybe someone could some the same as the guys that stole HL2 source code years ago , that would be funny!

Comment

Working...
                      X