Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Icculus Provides An Update, But No UT3 Or Games

Phoronix: Icculus Provides An Update, But No UT3 Or Games

It's been a while since last hearing anything from Icculus, a.k.a. Ryan Gordon, about any games or other software that he has been porting to Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

UT3 ? what was that again ?...

Comment

Originally posted by Tares View Post
      UT3 ? what was that again ?...
      Epic games has financial problems. Icculus ported Unreal II to Linux too but would not hand it over because Epic didn't pay him and UT3 is the same problem. Epic is going to try to port over UT4 to Linux themselves.

Oops is that inside info that should not have leaked? Oops... Yeah I don't give a shit I am not under an NDA and waited for them to do something about it. They didn't. I don't know people that I got that info from anymore so yeah.

Comment

Just yesterday, Ryan fixed the SDL ALSA bug I've been experiencing for some time. Thanks, man.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
          Epic games has financial problems. Icculus ported Unreal II to Linux too but would not hand it over because Epic didn't pay him and UT3 is the same problem. Epic is going to try to port over UT4 to Linux themselves.

Oops is that inside info that should not have leaked? Oops... Yeah I don't give a shit I am not under an NDA and waited for them to do something about it. They didn't. I don't know people that I got that info from anymore so yeah.
          then why not posting in detail how much money Epic would have payed him for posting that ?

if it's not THAT much people might be willing to donate via paypal and finally one day we'll be able to play UT3 or {insert other ported game} on Linux

dunno if that's realistic ...

Comment

Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
            then why not posting in detail how much money Epic would have payed him for posting that ?

if it's not THAT much people might be willing to donate via paypal and finally one day we'll be able to play UT3 or {insert other ported game} on Linux

That's because I do not know how much Epic would have payed him. I also do not see why I should pay extra for being able to play this on Linux and I doubt that Epic would approve that.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post

I think this is not feasible because, until Epic pays him, Ryan has the copyright on his work; but on the contrary the only entity allowed to legally ship an official modified client is Epic itself. That's a deadlock!

Comment

Originally posted by panda84 View Post
                I think this is not feasible because, until Epic pays him, Ryan has the copyright on his work; but on the contrary the only entity allowed to legally ship an official modified client is Epic itself. That's a deadlock!
                Epic could have made a call for selling "pre-release" linux clients, against a promise a money-back is not enough is collected to pay Ryan.
                After all, that would be fair and smart for everyone : you pay for the specific linux client, that cost far less to Epic, Ryan is sure to be paid.
                And we'll never know, but I'm quite sure that the missing success around UT3 can't be disconnected from the lack of linux client...

Comment

Not much of note? News on SDL 1.3 is plenty, thanks. As for UT3, isn't Epic rolling money? Enough that they're opening a branch in Japan, at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Fixxer_Linux View Post
                    Epic could have made a call for selling "pre-release" linux clients, against a promise a money-back is not enough is collected to pay Ryan.
                    After all, that would be fair and smart for everyone : you pay for the specific linux client, that cost far less to Epic, Ryan is sure to be paid.
                    I'm inclined to write the original post from Vincent off as rumour mongering without anything more substantial. The failure to deliver a UT3 Linux client has irritated quite a few people, and I can certainly see that creating motive to smear their name.

I can also remember earlier accounts had the issue as being a dispute with a third party over middleware licensing. This is not consistent with the unsubstantiated rumour.

Comment

Working...
                    X