LGP Brings Over Original Shadowgrounds Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by grigi View Post
    I'm running the 2.8 Intel drivers, and I can't get shaders to work at all. This is on an X3100 (G35) CPU. (KMS-enabled) (Mesa 7.5)

It reports OpenGL 1.4, but most of 1.5 features seem to be supported.
    The "2.8" driver is the 2D driver. But with Mesa 7.5 you should have OpenGL 2.1. You're probably looking at the glx version string?

Or possibly the G35 doesn't support 2.1? You should get something like this:
    OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.7-devel
    OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20

My point is, the software renderer works quite well, whereas the accelerated options have all kinds of issues. Until mesa can reach the maturity where we can fire up Doom3, and run the standard OpenGL ARB renderer implementation with only very minor errors, most game developers will probably not go through the effort of testing/bugfixing for MESA drivers.
    At least on the G45 this is already the case. Doom 3, Prey, Quake 4 all work fine.

Comment

The windows drivers for G35 "supports" DX10. So I'm guessing that OpenGL 2.1 should work...

Hmm, seems that upgrading to a newer mesa might be interesting

OK, that's cool that iDTech4 games work fine on G45, we need to get the same level of support for the ATI driver too

Oh, I almost forgot, which renderer is the idTech4 engine using?
      Paraquoting, but there is multiple renderers implemented for that engine:
      - ARB (no-shaders)
      - GF3 (GeForce 3 / GeForce 4 non-mx)
      - R200 (Radeon 8500 - 9200)
      - GFFX (Geforce FX 5000 series)
      - ARB2 (the complete OpenGL 2 compliant renderer)

I am particularly interested that the ARB2 renderer works correctly.

Comment

The windows drivers for G35 "supports" DX10. So I'm guessing that OpenGL 2.1 should work...
        Yeah, I had a quick look at the Wikipedia entry for Intel GMA, and if it's correct the G35 should support 2.1.

Hmm, seems that upgrading to a newer mesa might be interesting

OK, that's cool that iDTech4 games work fine on G45, we need to get the same level of support for the ATI driver too

Oh, I almost forgot, which renderer is the idTech4 engine using?
        Paraquoting, but there is multiple renderers implemented for that engine:
        - ARB (no-shaders)
        - GF3 (GeForce 3 / GeForce 4 non-mx)
        - R200 (Radeon 8500 - 9200)
        - GFFX (Geforce FX 5000 series)
        - ARB2 (the complete OpenGL 2 compliant renderer)

I am particularly interested that the ARB2 renderer works correctly.
        There was a long standing bug which made all iDTech4 titles almost completely black, can't remember if the fix was added to one of the 7.5 point releases, but it should be fixed in 7.6.

Doom 3 reports "best" as the renderer, but I see no difference in-game if I set it manually to arb2 so I guess that's what is used.

This being an Intel IGP, performance is of course somewhat lacking (although that's largely a matter of the resolution, it's still playable with the "Ultra" setting) but I don't really care. Faster hardware will come (read ATI). The important point is that this is supported in Mesa.

Comment

I cant get the game to launch on Arch 64bit. It's asking for 32bit libgdk-pixbuf. I installed the compatibility lib but it still tries to use the 64bit one
          BTW shouldnt this thread be moved to the gaming section?
          Last edited by Raven3x7; 21 September 2009, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Just bought the first part of Shadowgrounds. I will let you know what I think about it after I play it for a bit.

Comment

this game seems to connect to somewhere over internet every time I launch it, and I cannot play it offline at all.
              very annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by happa View Post
                this game seems to connect to somewhere over internet every time I launch it, and I cannot play it offline at all.
                very annoying.
                You bought it or rent it?

Comment

I bought boxed and downloadable pack at TuxGames and installed from downloadable installer.
                  Maybe the installer or keycode they gave me was for rental use. I will have to ask them.

Comment

Originally posted by happa View Post
                    very annoying.
                    The DRM LGP uses does make a connection when online, but it should just work if you happen to be offline.

Comment

Working...
                    X