No announcement yet.

Good News, id Tech 5 Is Likely Coming To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not just that, J.C. was funded Mesa developers and give driver optimization instructions for Q3:

May 13, 1999

May 1999 - John Carmack of id Software, Inc. has made a donation of
    US$10,000 to the Mesa project to support its continuing development.
    Mesa is a free implementation of the OpenGL 3D graphics library and id's
    newest game, Quake 3 Arena, will use Mesa as the 3D renderer on Linux.

The donation will go to Keith Whitwell, who has been optimizing Mesa to
    improve performance on 3d hardware. Thanks to Keith's work, many
    applications using Mesa 3.1 will see a dramatic performance increase
    over Mesa 3.0. The donation will allow Keith to continue working on
    Mesa full time for some time to come.

For more information about Mesa see www.mesa3d.org. For more
    information about id Software, Inc. see www.idsoftware.com.

--------------------------------

This donation from John/id is very generous. Keith and I are very
    grateful.
    May 1, 1999

John Carmack made an interesting .plan update yesterday:

"I put together a document on optimizing OpenGL drivers for Q3 that should be helpful to the various Linux 3D teams.
    http://www.quake3arena.com/news/glopt.html"
    But Yeah, 10 years ago! Nearly after that nvidia stolen some ideas, but give full source:

June 2, 1999

nVidia has released some Linux binaries for xfree86 3.3.3.1, along with the full source, which includes GLX acceleration based on Mesa 3.0. They can be downloaded from http://www.nvidia.com/Products.nsf/h...e_drivers.html.

June 7, 1999

RPMS of the nVidia RIVA server can be found at ftp://ftp.mesa3d.org/mesa/misc/nVidia/.
    Today nvidia blob is only one optimizated blob on earth who can run at acceptible performance another blob. (methinks - Rage The Game).
    Last edited by dungeon; 22 September 2009, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Yeah, he was also involved with the Utah-GLX project at some point.

id Software are also members of the Khronos Group, so id/Carmack are big supporters of OpenGL in general.

Comment

Yeah, and then just to give one example who is big supporter of Direct3D:

ATI Tesselation Technology was published in 2001 via GL_ATI_pn_triangles extension:

and then few years later they removed it from their blobs, because of performance reason

Today they announced this old technology AS shiny new for DX 11 only.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

ATI Tesselation Technology was published in 2001 via GL_ATI_pn_triangles extension:

and then few years later they removed it from their blobs, because of performance reason

Just curious if you could point out anywhere to back up that it was removed from their blobs? It would be an interesting read.

Comment

Here is the fastest quickshoot i can provide from milk white untruform jaggy beauty.

Comment

Well to be fair the tesselator engine in dx11 cards is different from the older one

Comment

I am always fair, where is that tesselation now in OpenGL? Yes that is the right point in that post.

Comment

I am always fair, where is that tesselation now in OpenGL? Yes that is the right point in that post.
                  http://www.opengl.org/registry/specs...essellator.txt

Comment

Oh thanks suokko, do you know is this really implemented in some fglrx driver for any consumer class hardware?

As a mesa developer do you have plan to implement it? That will be very very hard i think.

Comment

I saw now in irc radeon logs that you have r200 hw only so, is pn_triangles extension in this state can be easely implemented in mesa for that hardware?

P.S. One more thing, do you know why ATI_envmap_bumpmap is not there for r200, but intel has it? I am not driver developer and dont know many things about it, but i tried once to expose that extension and DUDV format in driver and mesa/test demo works good, but yes in software only. Regs is there for that i think, but what i dont know is drm must support DUDV it also to run in HW? Or maybe exist some other reason why
                      it is not implemented?

Comment

Working...
                      X