No announcement yet.

The Status Of Unigine's Linux-Compatible Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can you point me to that information. I would like to graph it.

Comment

Cutting edge linux gaming platform

Having first hand experience with most of the leading game engines. I can say that the graphics in unigine surpass all the other engines in features, realism, and performance. While the more advanced sandbox tools present in some of the more expensive engines have not yet been made for unigine, the rendering engine is very well documented with great tests and is the most solid I've seen to date. They are cutting edge already implementing directx 11 features, and still remain fully compatible and optimized for both opengl and directx 9.

I think unigine will bring a wealth of new games to the linux platform since it is cutting edge, affordable, and fully cross platform. It seems they are currently working on supporting both xbox 360 and ps3 consoles so in my mind they check all the boxes as the leading engine for game development in the future, which bodes well for linux gaming.

Comment

What's interesting about them taking time to do a DirectX 11 demo is that apparently AMD will have the only Direct X 11 card out this year (according to the mostly right, always funny Charlie Demarjan- who's now on SemiAccurate.com)

Comment

Originally posted by deeceefar2 View Post
          Having first hand experience with most of the leading game engines. I can say that the graphics in unigine surpass all the other engines in features, realism, and performance. While the more advanced sandbox tools present in some of the more expensive engines have not yet been made for unigine, the rendering engine is very well documented with great tests and is the most solid I've seen to date. They are cutting edge already implementing directx 11 features, and still remain fully compatible and optimized for both opengl and directx 9.

I think unigine will bring a wealth of new games to the linux platform since it is cutting edge, affordable, and fully cross platform. It seems they are currently working on supporting both xbox 360 and ps3 consoles so in my mind they check all the boxes as the leading engine for game development in the future, which bodes well for linux gaming.

oh lord, another industry pro with experience far surpassing my own.

What does this 1 do....

Comment

Originally posted by mirza View Post
            Actually, emerging cloud services for gaming (GaiKai, OnLive, both in Beta) might bring *lots* of great games to Linux as soon as next spring.
            I doubt these services will be available in Australia anytime soon, and even when they are nobody outside the cities will really be able to play with a half decent latency.

Putting aside the likelihood that some stupid copyright law will probably stop us from getting the same service as in the USA, I doubt I could afford the subscription fee. I would much rather buy the hardware, Windows (if needed) and the game. If a gamer is in the financial situation to be able to easily pay the monthly fee they would probably have the money to buy a computer capable of playing the games they want.

Our residential internet plans down here are always capped, I would imagine that streaming games over the net at a decent resolution would eat our monthly download limits in a week, taking this into account it seems that these services are extremely expensive.

Comment

I wish..

Originally posted by deeceefar2 View Post
              The optimist in me want to believe this.

The pessimist side says it's all up the publishers of these potential games. Just look at idTech5's uncertain future on Linux for a recent example, where the engine is completely cross-platform, but now they're uncertain if "it's worth it".
              Big publishers only think about big $$$ - so even if a game engine can be run on anything with a simple recompile, and there's possibly an extra 10,000 byers for this publishers game, it is still "not worth it".

As a comparison the Blender Foundation is running a pre-sale campaign for it's 3. open movie Durian. They are targeting a - for them - high goal of 2000 copies. At this time they have already sold for ~ ?44,000 and that's for an 8 month production involving several people.

In my world that amount of money would be a decent year salary, and even if a GE-programmer earn more it doesn't take a year to port a true cross-platform game to Linux!? I'm really tired of this politics BS and I'm glad that 2D Boy enjoys their extra sales of "World of Goo" on Linux (that goes to all indie devs releasing cross-platform games).

I would love to see Blizzard and Valve set an example for the Big Guys, with releasing native Linux binaries for their games

Comment

Originally posted by numasan View Post
                As a comparison the Blender Foundation is running a pre-sale campaign for it's 3. open movie Durian. They are targeting a - for them - high goal of 2000 copies. At this time they have already sold for ~ ?44,000 and that's for an 8 month production involving several people.
                Yeah but the buyers aren't neccessarily Linux users.

Comment

No, but I was trying to show the amount of copies sold, not which OS the buyers use. I really can't imagine less than 2000 people buying Rage to play on Linux. How many people does S2Games expect is Linux users?

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                    Yeah but the buyers aren't neccessarily Linux users.
                    That and cross platforming a title is more work then a "simple recompile". I really wish it was that easy.

Comment

Originally posted by numasan View Post
                      No, but I was trying to show the amount of copies sold, not which OS the buyers use. I really can't imagine less than 2000 people buying Rage to play on Linux. How many people does S2Games expect is Linux users?
                      Doom3 had less sales then that on the linux edition.... far less.

Comment

Working...
                      X