Backward compatibility hell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whizse View Post
    just create a symlink to the system libsdl.

True

Comment

I think that we, non M$ based users, are quite doomed with games or softwares in general. I mean that if a game was compiled for an old ecosystem we won't be able to reproduce this ecosystem as we evolve it. The best way would be to build/package the game/software and release it with the needed libs, so it will act as a stand alone program.

Maybe the current closed source game makers would be kind enough to recompile the game with the new libs. But i don't really think that they would.

Comment

Originally posted by poofyyoda View Post
        So how can we expect game developers to bother about linux then when the ecosystem is so screwed?
        this is serious BS.
        when vista came out nothing worked on it, after so long many things still dont(even after all the vendors patched their older stuff -some did).

now, the OSS world is constantly evolving, so basically you're getting a new OS every 6 months or year(for many cases), unless you use the 'stable/lts' or whatnot version of things... which may be more advisable to general whiners out there.
        STILL, that doesnt keep you from simply copying the libraries/files over and play JUST FINE. its not like in win where if there is no forward OR backwards compat... you ARE screwed.

So all of this is very hilarious. Plus, to be honest, UBUNTU is a distro that aims to be bleeding edge, and more or less ONLY that.
        its not like in debian or many other distros where you find a load of versions of the same libs.

for instance i played with emulators a lot once, and they required lots of old versions of many things... solution? simply go to your friendly package manager and install an older version of the lib.
        OR if its so prehistoric and uncommon(why oh why?) that your "repo" doesnt have it... compile it from source.

the bottom line is THERE IS ALWAYS A WAY in OSS, or linux mainly.

NOT the case under windows...

so you guys really need to re-evaluate this posture, and that 'windows' mindset.

cheers

Comment

so? just get a copy of those libs, it aint that hard

look at it from the windows P.O.V. your fucked if it doesn't work because of a core change to the OS (and that can happen every 3years ... happened 2k -> XP, XP->vista [ok 5for that one] and even vista->win7)

Windows dll model has no concept of versioned libs side by side (they have a fugly SxS virtual db todo it now but it is... FUGLY

linux/*NIX has been able todo versioned shared libs since the year... dot.
          Now if a major change happened to the kernel (warranting a 2.8.x) or to Glibc then panic BUT even still those two have been stable for what? years

Comment

UT2004 breaks without directFB libraries?

Sounds more like Ubuntu is screwed up to me, Gentoo's UT2004 has no such dependency (and it even got an official update last week!)

Comment

Originally posted by Ant P. View Post
              UT2004 breaks without directFB libraries?

Sounds more like Ubuntu is screwed up to me, Gentoo's UT2004 has no such dependency (and it even got an official update last week!)

nah, it was just me being stupid, and had an old libSDL in my folder which expected older directfb etc.. libraries.

Comment

hmmm, Ubuntu you say. TBH i really displeased by Ubuntu's way of doing things... It's true that Ubuntu is really popular but it's somehow becoming a "windows like" OS based on linux. Please forgive me but it's how i see Ubuntu. Many softwares has been reported broken or buggy. I've installed many closed source games on my linux distro (mandriva in fact) and almost never had issues like non functional libs.

Comment

g2 remember that if (and im just throwing this out der) 90% of linux users use ubuntu, your gunna get 90% of linux problems related to ubuntu.

Comment

Well most of those installers could use some tlc, if even they just got rid of the static libs.

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
                      g2 remember that if (and im just throwing this out der) 90% of linux users use ubuntu, your gunna get 90% of linux problems related to ubuntu.
                      90%..... I don't think so.

Comment

Working...
                      X