No announcement yet.

Looking for help testing my game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've posted a patch that should fix all of the shader problems (at least the ones that GLSL Validate could find). Also wrote a script to automatically run the validator on all of the shaders so I should be able to catch these problems easily enough in the future.

Patches are available on the download page.

Comment

Hmm... game doesn't start here... this is what the console says (only the last few lines):
      Console Warning: Key not found reflectionres
      Console Warning: Key not found cloudres
      Console Warning: Key not found shadowres
      Could not open catalog:
      XercesMessages_en_US.cat
      or XercesMessages_en_US.cat
      Cannot load message domain

Comment

It fails on my system due to EXT_framebuffer_object. No doubt this is a missing feature in the opensource drivers, but I figured i'd post it anyhow. I'm looking forward to playing this in the future. It looks good so far.

Code:
        ben@dellubuntu:~/Desktop/Coldest543$ ./coldest
        Initializing Coldest
        Built on: Aug 27 2009 at 19:15:31
        GCC version: 4.3.2
        Linked SDL version: 1.2.13
        Compiled SDL version: 1.2.13
        Main 15021
        set aa 0
        set af 1
        set bots 0
        set cache 1
        set camdist 100
        set consoletrans 128
        set detailmapsize 600
        set endgametime 10
        set fly 0
        set fov 60
        set fullscreen 0
        set ghost 0
        set grassdensity 1
        set grassdrawdist 1000
        set hitindtime 1000
        set impdistmulti 5
        set keyback 115
        set keyforward 119
        set keyleft 97
        set keyloadout 108
        set keyright 100
        set keyuseitem 117
        set limitserverrate 1
        set map riverside
        set master www.coldestgame.com
        set maxanimdelay 25
        set maxplayers 32
        set mousefire 1
        set mousenextweap 5
        set mouseprevweap 4
        set mousespeed 400
        set mouseuse 2
        set mousezoom 3
        set movestep 100
        set musicvol 40
        set name Nooblet
        set numthreads 2
        set overheat 1
        set partupdateinterval 0
        set quiet 1
        set reflection 1
        set respawntime 15000
        set screenheight 600
        set screenwidth 800
        set serveraddr localhost
        set servername @none@
        set serverport 12010
        set serverpwd password
        set serversync 1
        set shadows 1
        set showfps 0
        set showkdtree 0
        set softshadows 0
        set splashlevels 3
        set startsalvage 100
        set syncgrace 15
        set syncmax 50
        set terrainmulti 3
        set thirdperson 0
        set tickrate 30
        set timeout 10
        set turnsmooth 20
        set viewdist 3000
        set viewoffset 0
        set weaponfocus 1000
        set zoomfactor 2
        # restartgl must be included to initialize OpenGL
        restartgl
        Glew init successful, using version: 1.5.1
        We don't have EXT_framebuffer_object.  This is fatal.

Comment

Well, some progress is made, but I still run into an error:

Code:
          Loading shader shaders/bump
          program: Shader program link failed.  Exiting
          Unresolved symbols

Comment

Well it starts now, but no idea what to do then. Also how to change the view?

Comment

Originally posted by Zhick View Post
              Hmm... game doesn't start here... this is what the console says (only the last few lines):
              When did you download (or what is the name of the file you downloaded since it changed slightly)? That problem should be fixed in the versions that are currently available. Try downloading the appropriate executable only version again and use those files to overwrite the ones you have.

Originally posted by benmoran View Post
              It fails on my system due to EXT_framebuffer_object. No doubt this is a missing feature in the opensource drivers, but I figured i'd post it anyhow. I'm looking forward to playing this in the future. It looks good so far.
              Yeah, I'm afraid there isn't much in the way of fallback rendering paths, so it requires all of the extensions that it uses.

Originally posted by whizse View Post
              Well, some progress is made, but I still run into an error:

Code:
              Loading shader shaders/bump
              program: Shader program link failed.  Exiting
              Unresolved symbols
              Hmm, troubling. That shader definitely passed the validation and apparently it works on ATI now so I'm not sure what would be wrong. And of course they wouldn't want to give me a line number or anything to work with.

I'm going to have to think about this one for a while most likely.

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              Well it starts now, but no idea what to do then. Also how to change the view?
              To just mess around locally you can Host, but there's really not much to do other than run around and look at stuff. There are some bots available for load testing, but they're not good for much other than target practice because they're completely random and they don't shoot back (yet).

Somebody was hosting a server for me for a while but it doesn't appear to be up anymore. I'll see if I can get that back up, but in the meantime I'll start a server on my machine so there will be a place for group testing with real players.

Also, there are three maps that I would consider usable right now. You can use the console (~ key to access) to get to them. Just type "set map [riverside|oneway|tears]". For example "set map oneway" loads the oneway map. Riverside is the default map for now.

I'm not sure what you mean by "view" - you can change graphics settings in the settings screen, and the view in-game should be controlled by the mouse. Walking is with the wasd keys, but they can be rebound in the settings screen if you prefer something different.

Comment

In other games you can change 3rd person to 1st person like GTA or so.

Comment

EXT_framebuffer_object was added in radeon mesa git recently IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by cybertron View Post
                    Hmm, troubling. That shader definitely passed the validation and apparently it works on ATI now so I'm not sure what would be wrong. And of course they wouldn't want to give me a line number or anything to work with.

I'm going to have to think about this one for a while most likely.
                    If it passes both Nvidia and ATI:s implementations, it suggests a bug in Mesa, so do file a bug report. (Hopefully it will be fixed, saving you from doing the work )

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                      In other games you can change 3rd person to 1st person like GTA or so.
                      Ah, I see. I haven't implemented third person in any meaningful way yet. There's a way to pull the camera straight back but it's intended for debugging and I don't think you could realistically play that way. As it stands right now, I'm not sure how well third person would work anyway, but I have some things to try with the first person view that may also make third person a better option.

Originally posted by whizse View Post
                      If it passes both Nvidia and ATI:s implementations, it suggests a bug in Mesa, so do file a bug report. (Hopefully it will be fixed, saving you from doing the work )
                      Good point. And if it turns out that it's not a bug in Mesa they can probably tell me why it's not working.

Can you post your Mesa version, distro, and hardware? I expect that they'll want to know that.

Comment

Working...
                      X