• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BlackStar
    replied
    Originally posted by Setlec View Post
    platform Support?

What do those engines have to do with windows XP/VISTA/7 and/or linux? Please don't answer this question...
    Please rephrase that, I don't copy you. These are cross-platform engines that can be used by .Net languages. Some of them run on consoles, too.

for the pc platform which game has been written in C#? i really curious about this.
    You know, there's this wonderful thing called google. A quick search returns gaming juggernauts like Second Life, The Sims 3, plus a metric ton of games written in XNA and Unity3d.

You know what the interesting thing is? Second Life turned to Mono in order to improve performance. Not only that, but they've used Mono to implement some positively awesome things like microthreads (Mono.Continuations) or the ability to record the current state of the engine, wire it to the server or another PC and continue execution there. There was a great discussion on the Mono mailing list recently (around last April) - check it out if you are interested.

Leave a comment:

• pvtcupcakes
    replied
    Originally posted by Setlec View Post
    platform Support?

What do those engines have to do with windows XP/VISTA/7 and/or linux? Please don't answer this question...

for the pc platform which game has been written in C#? i really curious about this.
    Dyson uses C#

It's a 2D game, and it uses sdl and mono. I don't know why they use SDL, but that's written in C, so the engine itself might be SDL.

Leave a comment:

• Setlec
    replied
    Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
    What do Delta3d, Ogre3d, Irrlicht3d, CrystalSpace3d, Unity3d, Torque have to do with Microsoft (or the 360 for that matter)?
    platform Support?

Leave a comment:

• Remco
    replied
    There are games written in Python, Java, ActionScript, Javascript. All recent commercial 3D games are written in C++ though.

Leave a comment:

• xav1r
    replied
    So, is it better then to use a managed programming language instead of a plain one, nowadays?? Or does it depend on the situation? For games specifically. BTW, i cant seem to find other managed ones besides .net/c# and .mono.

Leave a comment:

• Failix
    replied
    I've been playing Quake Live on Ubuntu Jaunty for two days now, and all I can say is that until now, I had a lot of fun.

While it may still be the good old quake 3 arena, the new envelope/package it comes in adds a great deal of motivation to play and explore the competitive richness of quake. A friends manager, stats, awards, and way more finally united in one shiny, perfectly designed place. Another sweet feature I like is how Quake Live evaluates your skill and tells you which server and opponents suit you best. Yep, I like it.
    Now as much as I love Nexuiz as a game and admire the work behind it, in my very humble opinion Quake Live is superior (if you ignore the fact that Nexuiz is free as in freedom).

All in all, I think Quake Live is a cool and clever attempt to revive a legendary game and its unique competitive scene. Id software was so kind and offered Linux users another chance to show off their potential value in the gaming market. I think there's no better opportunity than with having some quick, clean, fun an hour or two on weekends for free.

By the way, does anybody know what changes were made to id tech3 for QL? It does look quite better than projects using ioquake3. The new/improved art assets probably contribute a lot to it though...

Leave a comment:

• L33F3R
    replied
    Please explain, you are not making any sense. What do Delta3d, Ogre3d, Irrlicht3d, CrystalSpace3d, Unity3d, Torque have to do with Microsoft (or the 360 for that matter)?
    nothing. If i wanted to specify Delta3d, Ogre3d, Irrlicht3d, CrystalSpace3d, Unity3d or Torque would have. I specified c# and the 360, Not the above. Both c# and xbox are Microsoft technologies. If you couldn't achieve that thread of thought im sorry. I think where you are confused is how i poorly organised my post, the quote was in direction of my second line. What i should have done was quote this 1 first.
    The only way you can develop for the XBox is to use C#, unless you are a large, proven game studio.

Guess what language(s) Crysis is written in.
    I know they use lua for NPC scripting. Correct me if im wrong tho.

Leave a comment:

• BlackStar
    replied
    Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
    M$ and c# for 360. If you couldn't figure that one out your lost.
    Please explain, you are not making any sense. What do Delta3d, Ogre3d, Irrlicht3d, CrystalSpace3d, Unity3d, Torque have to do with Microsoft (or the 360 for that matter)?

BTW building a game using .net off an engine written in c++ is a whole new ball of wax.
    Speaking from experience, or just speculating? Because it is not any more difficult than building a game in Python or Lua using a C++ engine.

Guess what language(s) Crysis is written in.

Leave a comment:

• L33F3R
    replied
    the kind shrek used for his candles

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
    BTW building a game using .net off an engine written in c++ is a whole new ball of wax.
    Ear wax, bee wax, car wax, or candle wax?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X