Quake Live Now Available To Linux Gamers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
    What the fsck on earth is "shiretoko" ? Why don't you quit whiming and use a standard Firefox so the user agent string does not get messed up to something like "shakakawaraotoko" or some shit like that?
    Shiretoko is Arch linux's firefox, just renamed because of mozilla's policies.

It's also the Codename of Firefox 3.5.2

Comment

Originally posted by some-guy View Post
      Oh, someone else wanted to strip unfree Firefox logos out too and then got surprised that Mozilla doesn't want the browser to be called Firefox without them?

Comment

Originally posted by grantek View Post
        Oh geez, quit whining:
        - The source is open, this binary-only version is just a nice wrapped-up package to protect their art and content somewhat, which has value to them, and is paid for by ads. If you don't like it go play Nexuiz or something, which is just as good if not better (but the art may not be quite as nice)
        Wait until every new hip site wants you to install their browser plugin. If this becomes a trend, the web as we know it is over. I expect some social networking site to be the first to do this kind of thing.
        - People are complaining that they're shipping a client that requires a browser as opposed to shipping a client AND a browser!?
        Yes. Well no, they would ship a web content rendering engine, which is not a browser. The engine would be used to show information in-game, instead of in a browser. This solves the browser problem.
        - Shipping as a plugin means easy installation on all platforms - you just go to the website, authorise it to install, and play. There's no figuring out how to extract an archive, figuring out where to install or where to leave the unpacked client, going through your filesystem to find the executable when you want to play, adding package repositories on OSes that use them etc. It means anyone can play it, not just those that administrate the computers they use.
        That's a lie:
        • Not all platforms with the necessary requirements (internet connection, 3D acceleration) are supported by Quake Live. Think about ARM netbooks, PowerPC Macs, FreeBSD desktops, Solaris workstations...
        • You need UAC approval to install the browser plugin on Vista and up.
        • Locked down environments (corporate or public) also don't work.
        • noexec'd Unix systems don't work.
        • The actions for the first run of a plugin versus a program are the same:
          • Plugin: click on Play, click on Install plugin, [Vista: UAC allow, ] click on OK, restart browser.
          • Program: click on Play, click on Open, [Vista: UAC allow, ] click Install, click Play.

• A program installation doesn't require a browser restart.
        • With a program installation, an icon will be provided in the Games section of the menu. Anyone can find this, since this is where all other games reside.
        Last edited by Remco; 19 August 2009, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Remco View Post
          Wait until every new hip site wants you to install their browser plugin. If this becomes a trend, the web as we know it is over. I expect some social networking site to be the first to do this kind of thing.
          Yes. Well no, they would ship a web content rendering engine, which is not a browser. The engine would be used to show information in-game, instead of in a browser. This solves the browser problem.
          That's a lie:
          • Not all platforms with the necessary requirements (internet connection, 3D acceleration) are supported by Quake Live. Think about ARM netbooks, PowerPC Macs, FreeBSD desktops, Solaris workstations...
          • You need UAC approval to install the browser plugin on Vista and up.
          • Locked down environments (corporate or public) also don't work.
          • noexec'd Unix systems don't work.
          • The actions for the first run of a plugin versus a program are the same:
            • Plugin: click on Play, click on Install plugin, [Vista: UAC allow, ] click on OK, restart browser.
            • Program: click on Play, click on Open, [Vista: UAC allow, ] click Install, click Play.

• A program installation doesn't require a browser restart.
          • With a program installation, an icon will be provided in the Games section of the menu. Anyone can find this, since this is where all other games reside.
          So if you don't want to play in a browser, use the original Q3A release. It really is that simple. Really your wanting something that has already been out for a decade.

Comment

Originally posted by some-guy View Post

It's also the Codename of Firefox 3.5.2
            Shiretoko has actually been the code name for any 3.5 series. 3.6 series is named Namoroka and 3.0 series was Gran Paradiso.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              So if you don't want to play in a browser, use the original Q3A release. It really is that simple. Really your wanting something that has already been out for a decade.
              Everyone who plays Quake Live apparently wants something that is 10 years old.

What I want is a real Quake Live. One that is really webbased. That's how Quake Live was presented. That's what piqued my interest, since that's a major technological advancement. Reality is disappointing. It's just Quake 3 Arena with a few gameplay improvements.

Now, the game is obviously much fun to play. Q3A was a great game, so Quake Live, which is a patched up Q3A, can't be worse.

It's not that I don't like the game, it's that I hate the marketing, and the technical gimmick that insults real 3D web efforts, and adds a whole new host of compatibility problems, because not only do you depend on a specific operating system, you also depend on a specific browser.
              Last edited by Remco; 20 August 2009, 12:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Remco View Post
                It's not that I don't like the game, it's that I hate the marketing, and the technical gimmick that insults real 3D web efforts, and adds a whole new host of compatibility problems, because not only do you depend on a specific operating system, you also depend on a specific browser.
                I agree that user-agent checking is stupid and unnecessary, but as far as the "3d web" is concerned, I don't think it's as ideologically bad as you think - if anything, it's a step in the right direction with instant usable results, and if it catches on, it creates a popular use-case and justification for developing proper 3d browser standards.

Comment

I have nothing against the idea of using a plugin to play. It then downloads 307 mb data into ~/quakelive (you save much time when you copy that directly when you want to play it on another pc). You can use any pc with good internet connection to play - and as the engine is 10 y old it does not need to be very fast. Also don't forget that there is a fullscreen mode (press ESC after the match began) you can use too. It does not look different then to a normally installed game. 10 y ago i would have been better in quake live i guess

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                    I have nothing against the idea of using a plugin to play. It then downloads 307 mb data into ~/quakelive (you save much time when you copy that directly when you want to play it on another pc). You can use any pc with good internet connection to play - and as the engine is 10 y old it does not need to be very fast. Also don't forget that there is a fullscreen mode (press ESC after the match began) you can use too. It does not look different then to a normally installed game. 10 y ago i would have been better in quake live i guess
                    true ;-) too bad I have to manually override AA settings each time I want to play it, but atleast it looks nice and smooth ;-)

Comment

@Remco

Id is more likely in the business of making money instead of making a better web.

Comment

Working...
                      X