Few notes about Carmack's keynote at QuakeCon 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Few notes about Carmack's keynote at QuakeCon 2009

Just a few tidbits from Quakecon, nothing linux specific but there is a comment about the next source code release.

• Carmack stated that the source code for Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory is almost ready to be released and just needs approval from ZeniMax. The release of the Doom III source code will most likely happen sometime after the release of Rage, again pending ZeniMax approval.
    Currently Rage is set to be released sometime in 2010, but that could change as we all know.

• Carmack says their experiment with Quake Live will continue for a while (you can expect to see new maps, skins and other content) but admitted that their initial business revenue model with in-game ads isn't working as well as they had hoped. They hope to gain more revenue by adding a premium service down the road that will let people buy their own Quake Live servers.
    Nothing about linux ports though. Notice that everything is tagged, pending Zenimax approval now.

Rest of the highlights (or lowlights depending on POV) can be found here:

well most likely quake live will have a linux port also Mac OS too, if i believe the QuakeLive forums. Also "IF" ZeniMax don't bother about linux let's hope that IdTech 4 engine will be released ASAP after the Rage release date. It sadden to me to say that i've lost my faith in Id Soft for linux gaming!

Comment

Well, it was among the announcements that the mac and linux versions of QuakeLive were going to be available on august 18,I believe.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/14/ma...inpage_joystiq

I didnt see that part about the Wolf Enemy Territory source code release. I thought Carmack meant the source code for their iphone version of wolf3d. It's great to see Wolf:ET source code too if it's the case.

Comment

the wolf3d iphone source code is already available at Id Soft FTP!

cheers

Comment

How are they going to deal with the Creative Labs patent for the shadow code?

Comment

they will probably remove from the source code.

Comment

Originally posted by Irritant View Post
              How are they going to deal with the Creative Labs patent for the shadow code?
              IIRC pretty much all the previous code releases had some sterilization done to it before release.

Comment

Well, if they flat out removed it, that would suck, because the shadows are one of the major features of the engine that separate it from tech 3. I guess they could rewrite it the way Darkplaces did it, and the way we did it for CRX, making changes to avoid the patent infringement, but my hope was that Creative Labs would just drop this whole frivolous code patenting bullshit in the first place. It's an utterly ridiculous concept to patent code. Seriously, I should just patent some absurdly common code just to show how stupid it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Irritant View Post
                  Well, if they flat out removed it, that would suck, because the shadows are one of the major features of the engine that separate it from tech 3. I guess they could rewrite it the way Darkplaces did it, and the way we did it for CRX, making changes to avoid the patent infringement, but my hope was that Creative Labs would just drop this whole frivolous code patenting bullshit in the first place. It's an utterly ridiculous concept to patent code. Seriously, I should just patent some absurdly common code just to show how stupid it is.
                  Ya, I've been working on getting my "Hello world" code patented.

Comment

Hmmm ET source release? Didn't expect that, but it is really good news!

Comment

Working...
                    X