Few notes about Carmack's keynote at QuakeCon 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Julius View Post
    Hmmm ET source release? Didn't expect that, but it is really good news!
    Interesting. I wonder if anyone is planning on doing a free implementation of the game, ? la OpenArena. Open Enemy Territory perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by whizse View Post
      Interesting. I wonder if anyone is planning on doing a free implementation of the game, ? la OpenArena. Open Enemy Territory perhaps?
      ET is free beer, it would be unlikely.

Comment

Ah, that's right!

Perhaps some of the mods will go stand-alone? We'll see...

Comment

I think it is more interesting to see the engine advancments done already to the quake3 engine ported to the ET engine.
          ET has much better scripting and gameplay features already included, which would make it together with a modern renderer really a nice platform to make (open-source) mods on.

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
            ET is free beer, it would be unlikely.
            Yeah, but only Open Arena is Free Beer AND Free Speech. ET is only Free Beer. Very different. The point of OpenArena is not that it's just a freebie, but that all its contents, graphics, sounds, animations, are 100% FREE software-like. ET gfx, sounds, and such are closed and copyrighted.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              Ya, I've been working on getting my "Hello world" code patented.
              Maybe you could get a patent for "Hello world" with obfuscated Perl? Would probably cover originality...

Comment

Originally posted by xav1r View Post
                Yeah, but only Open Arena is Free Beer AND Free Speech. ET is only Free Beer. Very different. The point of OpenArena is not that it's just a freebie, but that all its contents, graphics, sounds, animations, are 100% FREE software-like. ET gfx, sounds, and such are closed and copyrighted.
                Well, I get your point perfectly, but in this particular example (OpenArena) the "free as in free speech" saying is not very fortunate.

Comment

Originally posted by yotambien View Post
                  Well, I get your point perfectly, but in this particular example (OpenArena) the "free as in free speech" saying is not very fortunate.
                  Why do you say that? I don't see the unfortunate. Another example of Free as in Speech and Beer besides Open Arena would be Nexuiz.

Comment

Nothing wrong with copyrighted content in a free engine. Important is the engine not the content. This is up to the devers to make.

Comment

Originally posted by xav1r View Post
                      yea but you think 95% of the people who play it give a damn if its freedom software? I certainly don't. That said, I strongly advocate free software but like the rest of the free world I have the freedom to use non-free software and often times exercise that right.

Open arena is crap anyways. I offered my services to them but they seem too stuck up to actually make a game worth playing. Not saying im a great artist but anything is better then the garbage they have right now.

Comment

Working...
                      X