Steam On Linux Use Stayed Above 2% In June

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by avis View Post

There was zero ad hominem in my message, I quoted your insults verbatim, drew attention to that and recommended the best modus operandi.

Sadly, either you don't speak English or your knowledge of the argument and the world is extremely limited.

From the Wikipedia article on Ad Hominem: "Often nowadays this term refers to a rhetorical strategy where the speaker attacks the character, motive, or some other attribute of the person making an argument rather than attacking the substance of the argument itself. This avoids genuine debate by creating a personal attack as a diversion often using a totally irrelevant, but often highly charged attribute of the opponent's character or background"..
    LMAO you even highlight the part that says "attacks the character" and have the gal to then imply I don't speak English when you clearly don't understand it since your own quote proves you are indeed exercising ad hominem. You are literally going for me (on basis of my quotes) rather than addressing any of the arguments I brought up, you have always done this no matter how I phrased my response. You posted quotes of me in response to me calling you out for clearly ban evading and thus violating rule 8, you aren't disproving that, you're attempting to shift the target to me which is quite literally Ad Hominem (the act of you posting those quotes is the ad hominem attack).

This is exactly what you've been doing in this conversation over multiple messages now by continuing to discuss me personally, not what I'm saying. That's despicable and disgusting but given that you cannot even apologize for insulting others, it's unrealistic to expect anything else from you. Humbleness is lost on you. Would be great if Michael required people to reveal their identities, you know mine after all, I'm not hiding like you, but that's not going to happen ever.
    Have you forgotten you got banned for your behavior multiple times already?
    Don't act high and mighty when I was returning you in kind. Also humbleness being "lost" on me, that is rich coming from the guy who is trying to assert that he created "major improvements" for Linux without coding a single line for it.​ BTW under what account did you then create these major improvements , come on link your accounts if it isn't Birdie's, will be interesting to see those 25 years of supposed work.

And now you are trying to dox me? I know you aren't well versed in the forum rules but hey rule 09:
    09.) We recommend not posting personal information about yourself (i.e. telephone number or address).

Not our fault you are that full of yourself that you can't hide your identity. Maybe should have been more humble.

The account you are referring to has been banned for over a year now. It's dead. On what grounds? No, no insults or ad hominem (which you demonstrate in every other message), no broken forum rules, in Michael's own words, "Your messages receive a large number of complaints".
    On multiple occasions you accidentally posted links to other sites where you posted with the username "Birdie", this one being the funniest where you even deleted your post when someone called you out on it (and reposted your "interview" later but not saying you did it, lol). Even right now on the account page for "avis", under "about" you link sanityenvoy (very humble) as your twitter, the same Twitter handle as is present on Birdie's github (and your incredibly subtle status saying "Please unban Birdie", why is that exactly? If it is a dead account why can't it stay banned?). The fact you are Birdie is death obvious, the mods just have to actually enforce rule 8.

Screenshot from 2024-07-04 16-44-08.png

Given your poor command of the argument and the English language, total inability to accept wrongdoing despite being exposed, constant personal attacks I will ignore your messages from now on. I'm not interested in talking to people who "bravely" attack and insult others online while hiding behind nondescript nicknames.
    The projection is real with this one. Also funny how one of those quotes of mine you picked was in response to mSparks, a person that you list on your profile about page as being in your blocked list. I'm sure that your conversation with him went very civil.

A quick remark about this link.

Item number 2: breaks the integrity of your Steam OS.

And the last sentence: "Note that any packages you install will likely be overwritten by the next Steam Deck update."

I rest my case your honor. An Arch Linux "distro", yeah, and black is white. And I've already said that by this token Android, Windows, MacOS, ChromeOS are all ... Linux distros. Oh, and I can install pakman and dpkg/apt on my Fedora. Fedora is Arch. Or it's Debian. LMAO. What an embarrassment.
    Ah so typical, you were wrong so you quickly change the goalpost. Classic Birdie move.
    Your entire nonsensical argument was that SteamOS wasn't Linux because X, turns out you can do X with certain caveats, so now you quickly change the argument "any of these can do it so it doesn't count" (meaning your argument was never valid I guess), okay but then why is SteamOS not Linux? That was your entire point.
    Also funny how you listen to Wikipedia for the definition of "ad hominem" but somehow are trying to say Chrome OS isn't a Linux distro when Wikipedia clearly calls it that and Microsoft copilot also says "Yes, ChromeOS is indeed a Linux distribution developed by Google" (it says the same for SteamOS, so what AI have you been talking to?).

You can also use flatpaks which will persist. There exist immutable/atomic distros that I know you won't say aren't Linux like Fedora Silverblue and NixOS.

Edit: I figured a developer at one point would have done a talk on SteamOS itself and to no surprise, one of the SteamOS developers did and refers to SteamOS3 clearly as a "Linux distribution, based on Arch Linux" (but without a doubt Birdie will pretend he knows more than the actual devs of an OS).
    Screenshot from 2024-07-04 17-41-01.png
    Last edited by tenchrio; 04 July 2024, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Care to provide those imaginary reports of "Microsoft breaking things"? Will you vouch how many of those reports are valid and how many systems were indeed affected? No? Why is it no one among more than 200 people who I know has had any issues with Windows for the past 15 years, if not more?
      For instance, there was the day when all ten Windows 10 computers in my brother's company would not boot in the morning. And he is enough of an expert not to misunderstand such things. One of those computers not booting might have been coincidence. Ten is most likely something Microsoft messed up.
      The thing with the network driver was something I handled myself. It needed downloading a current driver version and manually installing it. But why did it break in the first place? Did Microsoft maybe break an API? Or did they update a third party driver after all and get a bad version from the manufacturer?
      Of course, these are two only two incidents. So what about some things Microsoft reports themselves? None of them huge I'll admit, but not zero either.
      Edit: I may have been too generous here. These reports include an unwanted reboot loop that is certainly a major breakage for those affected. Roughly on the level of the one time the Arch boot process failed on one of my machines. I guess we have parity between Linux and Windows here, neither is perfect.

But as I wrote in the end, these are no longer my main concerns. Microsoft's attitude towards their users is.

All of that leads me to a personal question. The tone of your posts indicates that you hate Linux but are OK with Windows. So why bother with Linux at all and frequent forums like this? Is it perhaps a job where you have to use Linux even if you don't want to?
      Last edited by Rabiator; 15 July 2024, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabiator View Post
        For instance, there was the day when all ten Windows 10 computers in my brother's company would not boot in the morning. And he is enough of an expert not to misunderstand such things. One of those computers not booting might have been coincidence. Ten is most likely something Microsoft messed up.
        The thing with the network driver was something I handled myself. It needed downloading a current driver version and manually installing it. But why did it break in the first place? Did Microsoft maybe break an API? Or did they update a third party driver after all and get a bad version from the manufacturer?
        Of course, these are two only two incidents. So what about some things Microsoft reports themselves? None of them huge I'll admit, but not zero either.
        Edit: I may have been too generous here. These reports include an unwanted reboot loop that is certainly a major breakage for those affected. Roughly on the level of the one time the Arch boot process failed on one of my machines. I guess we have parity between Linux and Windows here, neither is perfect.

But as I wrote in the end, these are no longer my main concerns. Microsoft's attitude towards their users is.

All of that leads me to a personal question. The tone of your posts indicates that you hate Linux but are OK with Windows. So why bother with Linux at all and frequent forums like this? Is it perhaps a job where you have to use Linux even if you don't want to?
        The fact that I'm mentioned in the kernel git log more than a dozen times clearly indicates I'm a Linux hater and Windows lover.

I've also been using Linux for over 25 years almost exclusively.

The phoronix front page features a news piece about me.

Whoa.

Or maybe just maybe someone is acting like a fanboy and has troubles admitting that Windows runs on 2 billion devices and Linux barely on 40 million and with a ton of never ending pain - I'm now on AMD hardware and dealing with two extremely bad regressions, and those billions of Windows users have 1000 more software titles than Linux which also explains that, yeah, Windows sometime "breaks" but in absolute most cases it's about unique interactions between Windows and third party software which embeds deep into low level Windows interfaces, i.e. drivers that Microsoft can't always account for. Guess what, such a situation is not even possible in Linux considering how little proprietary software exists for it.

Again, your brother's company? All computers?

Are we talking about a few dozen at most? And not every computer since it's extremely unlikely all of them have the same configuration? And the issue you're talking about, did you just roll back the malfunctioning drivers pushed by Windows updates? How much time did it take? A few minutes? And the systems were good to go? No reinstallation, or other serious issues? In short, an annoyance?

Don't make Linux your religion. If you continue to insist that Windows is not reliable and breaks often and for far too many people, I'll never talk to you again. Sorry, I have zero patience for people who are lying though their teeth because they feel entitled that they've chosen an open OS. Weirdly, you'll never hear crap like this from freebsd, openbsd, netbsd lovers or even users of macos. For some reasons Linux fanboys love to talk about "widespread frequent deal breaking windows issues". Too bad I've had none since Windows NT 4.0. Windows 95/98/Me were crap, there's no doubt about that, but since 7, Windows has been rock solid in general barring occasional regressions affecting a tiny percentage of its users.
        Last edited by avis; 15 July 2024, 06:35 PM.

Comment

You REALLY need a holiday, darling.
          Hi

Comment

I'll take this apart piece by piece, it will be fun :-)

The fact that I'm mentioned in the kernel git log more than a dozen times clearly indicates I'm a Linux hater and Windows lover.

I've also been using Linux for over 25 years almost exclusively.

The phoronix front page features a news piece about me.

Whoa.

Or maybe just maybe someone is acting like a fanboy and has troubles admitting that Windows runs on 2 billion devices and Linux barely on 40 million and with a ton of never ending pain - I'm now on AMD hardware and dealing with two extremely bad regressions,
            You have never ending pain with Linux yet you use it for over 25 years almost exclusively? That sounds like a seriously masochistic personality ;-)

Again, your brother's company? All computers?

Are we talking about a few dozen at most? And not every computer since it's extremely unlikely all of them have the same configuration? And the issue you're talking about, did you just roll back the malfunctioning drivers pushed by Windows updates? How much time did it take? A few minutes? And the systems were good to go? No reinstallation, or other serious issues? In short, an annoyance?
            Most of the computers. It is, or was at the time, a small software company with around a dozen employees. Ten installations that break at the same time was probably over 50% of all computers they had in use.
            I did not inquire further about how they restored access, but I consider that the outage happened to such a large percentage noteworthy enough.

Don't make Linux your religion. If you continue to insist that Windows is not reliable and breaks often and for far too many people, I'll never talk to you again.
            I dare you to keep that promise. But I suspect that I will see a reply to this post by tomorrow... you won't resist the impulse to keep trolling.

For some reasons Linux fanboys love to talk about "widespread frequent deal breaking windows issues". Too bad I've had none since Windows NT 4.0.

If you have been using Linux for over 25 years almost exclusively (your statement), not having Windows issues is meaningless. A bit like a penguin who never had issues with Sahara sand...

Comment

Originally posted by Rabiator View Post
              I'll take this apart piece by piece, it will be fun :-)

You have never ending pain with Linux yet you use it for over 25 years almost exclusively? That sounds like a seriously masochistic personality ;-)

Most of the computers. It is, or was at the time, a small software company with around a dozen employees. Ten installations that break at the same time was probably over 50% of all computers they had in use.
              I did not inquire further about how they restored access, but I consider that the outage happened to such a large percentage noteworthy enough.

I dare you to keep that promise. But I suspect that I will see a reply to this post by tomorrow... you won't resist the impulse to keep trolling.

If you have been using Linux for over 25 years almost exclusively (your statement), not having Windows issues is meaningless. A bit like a penguin who never had issues with Sahara sand...
              Someone keeps deleting my posts. You could use ad hominem and ignore what the other person says with your child or wife. Please never reply to my messages. I'm not interested in talking to people who actively refuse to argue properly while at the same time insulting the opponent.

Comment

Someone keeps deleting my posts.
                I really appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                X