Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve Rolls Out Proton 9.0-2 With Many Fixes For Running More Games On Steam Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Rolls Out Proton 9.0-2 With Many Fixes For Running More Games On Steam Play

Phoronix: Valve Rolls Out Proton 9.0-2 With Many Fixes For Running More Games On Steam Play

Proton 9.0-2 is out this afternoon as the Valve/CodeWeavers downstream of Wine that powers Steam Play for running Windows games under Linux within the Steam client...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice. Since the help of Valve for Linux and WINE/Proton, the migration to Linux is for much people much easier.

And in these days the presure to move away from Windows is higher then never before.

Microsoft is more working to deactivate the possibility of an local Windows account.
    Installing Windows 11 with a local account is becoming increasingly difficult. Microsoft has now blocked a popular workaround.

And don't forget Microsofts ideas with its "Recall": Taking every few seconds a screenshot of the screen and saving it in a SQLite-database. Additional adding with AI extracted text of the screenshots additional in the database. A (security) nightmare.

Or as someone have directed its forum-post to Windows-users:
    News und Foren zu Computer, IT, Wissenschaft, Medien und Politik. Preisvergleich von Hardware und Software sowie Downloads bei Heise Medien.

Greetings to all the frogs in the forum!

Is it getting hot in the pot?
    It doesn't matter. Just wait - a little warmth never hurt anyone!​
    Last edited by theuserbl; 12 June 2024, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by theuserbl View Post
      Nice. Since the help of Valve for Linux and WINE/Proton, the migration to Linux is for much people much easier.
      And in these days the presure to move away from Windows is higher then never before.
      Microsoft is more working to deactivate the possibility of an local Windows account.
      Installing Windows 11 with a local account is becoming increasingly difficult. Microsoft has now blocked a popular workaround.

And don't forget Microsofts ideas with its "Recall": Taking every few seconds a screenshot of the screen and saving it in a SQLite-database. Additional adding with AI extracted text of the screenshots additional in the database. A (security) nightmare.
      News und Foren zu Computer, IT, Wissenschaft, Medien und Politik. Preisvergleich von Hardware und Software sowie Downloads bei Heise Medien.
      last time i installed windows11 on computers for a company they where shocked about the Ad's in the start menu and even Ad's in the file browser and also this desktop widgets distract people from their work.

these people where so happy that i installed them W10Privacy to disable the Ad's and uninstall microsoft edge and disable the widgets

and if course i installed all their computers with local user account instead of microsoft online user account.
      Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

last time i installed windows11 on computers for a company they where shocked about the Ad's in the start menu and even Ad's in the file browser and also this desktop widgets distract people from their work.

these people where so happy that i installed them W10Privacy to disable the Ad's and uninstall microsoft edge and disable the widgets

and if course i installed all their computers with local user account instead of microsoft online user account.
        Recently I've been working on a project for which I had to do a lot of Windows AD infra bring-up, with lots of both server and client Windows SKUs. Lots and lots of vanilla Windows 11 installs. All systems trivially installed with local-only accounts using `oobe\bypassnro` with no Internet connection, and I'm yet to see a single ad there after connecting to Internet post-OOBE, even on the clients that never got joined to the AD DS domain. What am I missing, is it the difference between Enterprise/Pro and Home editions?

Comment

Originally posted by moonwalker View Post
          Recently I've been working on a project for which I had to do a lot of Windows AD infra bring-up, with lots of both server and client Windows SKUs. Lots and lots of vanilla Windows 11 installs. All systems trivially installed with local-only accounts using `oobe\bypassnro` with no Internet connection, and I'm yet to see a single ad there after connecting to Internet post-OOBE, even on the clients that never got joined to the AD DS domain. What am I missing, is it the difference between Enterprise/Pro and Home editions?
          it is your license key. and you can not even say it is PRO or Home editions... because microsoft sells cheap PRO lisence keys for home users and more expensive PRO license keys for companies.
          means a customer can not see what key he gets... but you can be pretty sure if you buy cheap 8€ windows 11 key on ebay you get such a fake PRO/HOME key with Ad's included.
          and then if you as a company buy 1000 windows 11 pro keys as company volume key you get key with zero Ad's side of course.

this is not new to winows 11 ... windows 10 had similar games the normal support of windows 11 ends in 2025 but there is a commercial company windows 10 version with much longer support. but this version has nothing bundled with it so its clearly not for privat users.

"What am I missing, is it the difference between Enterprise/Pro and Home editions?"

i think its the OEM version or so called system builder edition.

if you see on Amazon a Windows 11 PRO enduser edition costs 200€ (this is the version you maybe do not get Ad's because its maximum expensive license) but the 8€ windows 11 pro license on ebay is a OEM or System builder edition.

and you have to know not all OEM licenses are the same and not all system builder editions are the same
          every OEM can get different microsoft key means there is a DELL OEM key and a Lenevo OEM KEy and so one.

and the amount of Ad's and pre installed AD-Apps depent on this OEM-License version.

more or less on the cheapest license you are flooted with ADs and pre installed Ad-apps.
          Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by theuserbl View Post

Well we're finally at a point where Linux can capture the gamer and enthusiast market share because there's no practical blockers to performing day to day activities on Linux anymore for a consumer. Microsoft just has to finally piss them off enough and they'll take the leap.

Normal consumers will of course require OEMs to actually pick it up but I wouldn't be surprised if we see a strong shift in those who build their own PCs and are comfortable installing their own OSes.

Comment

Valve needs to press developers - with incentives - into providing well working native ports.
              While Proton (i.e. Wine) is a nice temporary fix, the maintenance work required by Valve itself is quite big.

I assumed Valve awards the best native Linux games (AAA and Indie) in the Steam Awards?
              And maybe also so financial aid as sugar like a reduction for fees.

There is Half-Life 1 + 2, Counter-Strike 1 + 2 and mostly Tomb Raider. Civilization provides a port but people say it not really well built.
              If your looking for a great native game, Unrailed is really nice and fun together in a group:

You can play it with the keyboard but the together with the family and controllers it is awesome

I remember well the 2000s with WINE and Counter-Strike 1. It was a horrible experience, it had two states:
              I did run and you had issues or it didn't run. So I stopped playing, until Valve provided native ports in 2014. A salvation
              Last edited by hsci; 13 June 2024, 02:55 AM.

Comment

So what is being used these days? Steam which one? Steam native or Steam Runtime?
                And which Steam bundle is the best? Classic packages, snap, flatpack?​

And if I don't choose compatible mode with Proton in Steam settings, how does it actually work? I'm kind of getting lost in it and will have to study it.

Comment

I'd like to strictly run native linux apps but Holo* (beta iso; preview channel) won't let me uninstall Proton...

*otherwise loving it!

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

it is your license key. and you can not even say it is PRO or Home editions... because microsoft sells cheap PRO lisence keys for home users and more expensive PRO license keys for companies.
                    means a customer can not see what key he gets... but you can be pretty sure if you buy cheap 8€ windows 11 key on ebay you get such a fake PRO/HOME key with Ad's included.
                    and then if you as a company buy 1000 windows 11 pro keys as company volume key you get key with zero Ad's side of course.

this is not new to winows 11 ... windows 10 had similar games the normal support of windows 11 ends in 2025 but there is a commercial company windows 10 version with much longer support. but this version has nothing bundled with it so its clearly not for privat users.

"What am I missing, is it the difference between Enterprise/Pro and Home editions?"

i think its the OEM version or so called system builder edition.

if you see on Amazon a Windows 11 PRO enduser edition costs 200€ (this is the version you maybe do not get Ad's because its maximum expensive license) but the 8€ windows 11 pro license on ebay is a OEM or System builder edition.

and you have to know not all OEM licenses are the same and not all system builder editions are the same
                    every OEM can get different microsoft key means there is a DELL OEM key and a Lenevo OEM KEy and so one.

and the amount of Ad's and pre installed AD-Apps depent on this OEM-License version.

more or less on the cheapest license you are flooted with ADs and pre installed Ad-apps.
                    I believe the "cheap PRO" and "more expensive PRO" keys you are referring to are the Pro and Pro for Workstation editions correspondingly. The licenses I used in my project's setup were the lower end Pro, not Pro for Workstation, and these were individual Retail keys, not MAK (multiple activation keys) or VLK (volume licensing keys), but also not the OEM (attached to hardware) keys. I can see how OEM could be coming with ads, but my wife's laptops are all OEM keys from all over the place (Sony, Razer, HP, Lenovo) yet none of them have ads. Hints, suggestions? Yeah, until they were disabled in privacy settings menu. Ads? no. Pre-installed apps? Sure, had to uninstall some, though even Windows 95 had those, nothing new. So seems to me the ads are reserved for the lowest tier, which to be honest even without ads comes with too many limitations. Well, at least they no longer do the Starter editions... Anyone remembers those abominations from XP/Vista/7 times? 2GiB RAM max, no wallpaper change, limit on number of apps/windows open, no network sharing, etc...

Anyway - while I personally have never seen anything intrusive in Windows (that could not be trivially disabled, not counting Windows Updates with automatic reboots), I can definitely see and agree that ads would be extremely annoying - heck, I'm always late to the movie theaters specifically because I'd rather miss the start of the movie and have my wife hate me for that than have to sit through all the ads.

Comment

Working...
                    X