Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS Announces The ROG Ally X Upgraded Handheld

Phoronix: ASUS Announces The ROG Ally X Upgraded Handheld

ASUS used Computex 2024 for announcing the ROG Ally X, the latest version of their handheld gaming console. The ASUS ROG Ally X continues to be powered by the AMD Ryzen Z1 Extreme SoC but now having more storage, faster RAM, a larger battery, updated controls, and other refinements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

With Xtra thermal throttling

Comment

I like the hardware, I really do, but that gAmEr design and no first-class Linux support... Ugh. Pass.

That's why we can't have nice things.

Comment

No official Linux support and scammy warranty, no thanks!

Comment

IMO the sweet spot for these handhelds is much closer to the $400 entry level Steam Deck than the more expensive and higher spec units like this. $800 is getting into laptop territory. These things aren't small. A 14" laptop and Bluetooth controller is a much better gaming experience, and I say this as someone whose Steam Deck is sitting in my carry on bag above my head right now.

Comment

I struggle to see how this is an enticing choice in front of a Steam Deck?

Comment

It seems that the original one is broken by design and Asus uses some dubious warranty procedures to hide this fact; Gamer's Nexus has made a provocation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pMrssIrKcY

Comment

"although it's tailored for Microsoft Windows 11"

Yeah, no thanks. I prefer my weaker Steam Deck.

Comment

Suppose I better finish the patch for all the feasture support on the Ally and submit upstream. It's a damned good device.

Comment

And if you RMA it ASUS will demand twice the price of a new one to send it back to you... This is not a good company for consumers.

Comment

Working...
                    X