Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proton 9.0-1 Released With Many Improvements For Steam Play Linux Gaming

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

    I can't believe that's real. I watched a few minutes of the dev live streaming it and decided it isn't the game for me. It inspired me to go and play Photography Reality. Here's the first bloom of one of my new roses.

    Whoah amazing graphics! What graphics card are you using? 不不不

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

      I can't believe that's real. I watched a few minutes of the dev live streaming it and decided it isn't the game for me. It inspired me to go and play Photography Reality. Here's the first bloom of one of my new roses.

      How dare you having a life and hobbies?

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by robojerk View Post

        Proton is a fork of wine. Wine is still developing their Wayland support. in wine 9.x you can enable the Wayland support but it's hit or miss, i.e. not ready for mass usage yet.

        In other words I'd say that it's "in progress"
        So its using xwayland then?

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by Party0445 View Post

          Whoah amazing graphics! What graphics card are you using? 不不不
          Its the RL Infinity series... the most closed source proprietary system in existence... Many generations of scientists, engineers and philosophers to boot have been trying to decode both its software and hardware... to date we really know nothing of how it works.

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post

            So its using xwayland then?
            Currently if you are running a Wayland desktop, wine will use Xwayland. The goal is to eventually make it wayland-native.

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by robojerk View Post


              In other words I'd say that it's "in progress"
              Thats a stretch. Getting X11 functionality into wine natively for wayland would require a team of 5 or 6 developers working full time for 7 or 8 years to reinvent all the stuff done for Xorg and xwayland.

              afaik there is currently one developer working on it part time, and last wineconf he was fairly pessimistic about its prospects even for simple windows applications, let alone games.

              With the recent benchmarks showing such effort is more likely to make performance worse than better, any kind of ramp up in activity there seems unlikely at best.
              Last edited by mSparks; 03 May 2024, 05:27 AM.

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by mSparks View Post

                Thats a stretch. Getting X11 functionality into wine natively for wayland would require a team of 5 or 6 developers working full time for 7 or 8 years to reinvent all the stuff done for Xorg and xwayland.

                afaik there is currently one developer working on it part time, and last wineconf he was fairly pessimistic about its prospects even for simple windows applications, let alone games.

                With the recent benchmarks showing such effort is more likely to make performance worse than better, any kind of ramp up in activity there seems unlikely at best.
                Here is that one developer showing off Chrome, LibreOffice, Call of Duty 2, Crayon Physics Deluxe, Factorio, The last Express and Phoning Home in his latest update on his Wayland Wine driver. So much for simple applications.



                Vulkan, Multi Monitor support and more goodies are already done too and benchmarks show no general regression.

                What do you even want? Thats just FUD at this point. If you like X11 that much, no one is stopping you from continuing support for this bloated, unmaintainable mess. But the people who spend the last 15+ years maintaining it don't want to do that anymore.

                Comment


                • #18
                  after waiting 30 years for stuff to start working reliably in wine, we can finally start waiting another 30 years for things like wow64 and wayland support to start working reliably

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by quaz0r View Post
                    after waiting 30 years for stuff to start working reliably in wine, we can finally start waiting another 30 years for things like wow64 and wayland support to start working reliably
                    I don't need either of those, especially Wayland garbage, so I'm enjoying it right now and it's a blast.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Performance under xwayland is just fine anyway but looking forward to have native Wayland support soon.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X