Valve Publishes Steam Survey Numbers For April 2024

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cakeisamadeupdrug View Post

I'm not calling you names or insulting you. You do me the same courtesy, or get lost.

In answer to your question, yes what something is is the job it does, not what it looks like. If I use an embedded toaster as a server, it's a server. Using a steam deck as a pc is not even an uncommon use case.
    Hmmm, as much as the switch thing is batshit crazy, the original dissection is pretty interesting. (well actually, the switch demolishes them all, but that's a different story)

Breaks it down

"SteamOS Holo" 64 bit 42.33%

When you click on the "linux version".
    overall, that is a decent turnout for Valve TBH, they now "own" roughly 1% of steam gaming rigs having come from absolutely nowhere a few years ago, massive congratulations to them.

That the rest of linux as a whole is sat on 1%, when, correctly setup, it is orders of magnitude better than windows - is an absolute f'ing disgrace, and everyone else should be downright ashamed of themselves.

Steam deck has been ON SALE for just over two years, and is already about the size of all the other distributions combined...

Although, hardly surprising, when most if not all distro builders are intentionally making it virtually impossible correctly setup on 90% of gaming rigs, and recommended broken by default on the rest.
    Last edited by mSparks; 04 May 2024, 07:37 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by cakeisamadeupdrug View Post
      If I use an embedded toaster as a server, it's a server.
      Yes. And you start counting all toasters as servers, and start forcing others to count like you.

I count handelds as handelds and desktops as desktops. And the fact that you use a handeld as a desktop will not change that. Simple to understand?​

Comment

• Originally posted by mSparks View Post
        Never once through Voodoo I, II, ATI R200, GeForce FX 5500​, GTX570, GTX880, GTX1070, RX5700, RTX3070, RTX4090 have I seen a GPU driver or kernel upgrade a break on Linux.
        Not much of an upgrade if it breaks stuff, is it.
        Example: Fedora 40 got released last month. Guess what happens when you try to upgrade? You lose a proprietary Nvidia driver, because there isn't one for F40. Not yet.
        So, best case, during upgrade you got reverted to nouveau, open source, crippled driver, worst case, you land in terminal, because proprietary driver is gone and nouveau blacklisted by it.

Originally posted by mSparks View Post
        Got a link to one?

First link in my search engine after typing "fedora 40 nvidia", users trying to get their garbage nvidia cards to work in F40 and failing fast:
        I started this process right now by uninstalling all nvidia stuff. $ dnf list installed '*nvidia*' | tail -n 15 | awk '{print $1}' | xargs sudo dnf remove -y Such that when I tried searching for installed instances, nothing showed up. Fresh slate. I started by trying this , as my GPU is after 2014 (what it considers “non legacy”). This section lists commands I have already tried running. This one in particular breaks as I described in my last response. sudo dnf install akmod-nvidia As far ...

Some quotes from the forum posts:
        My graphics card actually almost got fried. You read that correctly. I was frustrated with my debugging for hours on end so I left the computer afk and the screen went blank (to go to sleep). A few minutes later I noticed my entire PC shut off. . . Huh, that’s strange. I tried booting up again. No HDMI signal whatsoever. I eventually disassembled my PC and the graphics card was burning hot to the touch.​​

I upgraded from FC37 to FC39 and the display changed to a black screen and a blinking cursor on the top left corner.

There are thousands of similar examples everywhere, every year, caused by the same thing - garbage, proprietary products, like your beloved Nvidia graphics cards.
        Last edited by piorunz; 07 May 2024, 10:01 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by piorunz View Post

Example: Fedora 40 got released last month. Guess what happens when you try to upgrade? You lose a proprietary Nvidia driver, because there isn't one for F40. Not yet.
          Meanwhile, in the real world, the FC40 proprietary nvidia driver has been available since october 2023

I'm probably skipping 40 though, since it was mostly aimed at meeting the needs of RHEL10, and FC39 is absolutely beautiful. FC41 should start caring more about users again.
          Last edited by mSparks; 07 May 2024, 09:59 PM.

Comment

That the rest of linux as a whole is sat on 1%, when, correctly setup, it is orders of magnitude better than windows - is an absolute f'ing disgrace, and everyone else should be downright ashamed of themselves.

Steam deck has been ON SALE for just over two years, and is already about the size of all the other distributions combined...
            Yes well as soon as you find out whoever is in charge of marketing "Linux" to gamers you make sure to sack them. Make sure you ask them some difficult questions about what they're doing with their totally Microsoft-equivalent marketing budget first though.

Originally posted by HEL88 View Post

Yes. And you start counting all toasters as servers, and start forcing others to count like you.

I count handelds as handelds and desktops as desktops. And the fact that you use a handeld as a desktop will not change that. Simple to understand?​
            ​Do not mistake me thinking that everything you say is wrong for me not understanding anything you say. The Steam Deck is a Linux Desktop PC as much as any laptop.

Comment

• Originally posted by Panix View Post
              LOL! The comedian is back!
              Linux is not growing - it's just more or less the same - game developers don't care about Linux or support it. In fact, there's websites out there that detail the support or lack thereof. TWO PERCENT IS PATHETIC.
              so you claim anyone who tells the truth is a comedian... well well well

the total number of people using linux is growing thats a fact because the steam account numbers always grow.
              Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

• Originally posted by qarium View Post

so you claim anyone who tells the truth is a comedian... well well well

the total number of people using linux is growing thats a fact because the steam account numbers always grow.
                What truth? All I said, the 2% was paltry and not worth getting excited about. I think a better indication of 'Linux is growing' is something like this:
                Rise in demand for open-source solution in creative industries is further expected to create lucrative opportunities for the growth of the global market.NEW CASTLE, Delaware, May 08, 2024 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Allied Market Research published a report, titled, "Linux Software Market by Type (Web Browsers, Office Suites, Media Players, Graphics and Designs, and Others), and Applications (Personal and Commercial): Global Opportunity Analysis and Industry Forecast, 2024-2032". According to the report

Gaming, however, is still a 'Windows world' whether we like it or not. Although, obviously, I welcome any positive developments for Linux gaming.

Comment

• Originally posted by Panix View Post
                  What truth? All I said, the 2% was paltry and not worth getting excited about. I think a better indication of 'Linux is growing' is something like this:
                  Rise in demand for open-source solution in creative industries is further expected to create lucrative opportunities for the growth of the global market.NEW CASTLE, Delaware, May 08, 2024 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Allied Market Research published a report, titled, "Linux Software Market by Type (Web Browsers, Office Suites, Media Players, Graphics and Designs, and Others), and Applications (Personal and Commercial): Global Opportunity Analysis and Industry Forecast, 2024-2032". According to the report

Gaming, however, is still a 'Windows world' whether we like it or not. Although, obviously, I welcome any positive developments for Linux gaming.
                  the truth that in absolut numbers linux is growing also in the gaming market.

people get confused and do misinterpretation because in regulative numbers the market share of linux in the gaming market does not grow. this effect is possible if windows for example just grows faster.

if windows just grows faster then linux market share in relative numbers does not grow but the absolut numbers still grow.

2% is not 2%.... because every month more and more people create a valve steam account this means 2% 10 years ago means much less than 2% in 2024...

today valve makes much more money with linux sales than they did 10 years ago even if the marketshare number did stay at 2%

Comment

• Originally posted by qarium View Post

the truth that in absolut numbers linux is growing also in the gaming market.

people get confused and do misinterpretation because in regulative numbers the market share of linux in the gaming market does not grow. this effect is possible if windows for example just grows faster.

if windows just grows faster then linux market share in relative numbers does not grow but the absolut numbers still grow.

2% is not 2%.... because every month more and more people create a valve steam account this means 2% 10 years ago means much less than 2% in 2024...

today valve makes much more money with linux sales than they did 10 years ago even if the marketshare number did stay at 2%
                    steam linux users fell in relative and absolute terms in this survey, mostly driven by a decline in active steam deck users, there is no other way to cut it.

Comment

steam linux users fell in relative and absolute terms in this survey, mostly driven by a decline in active steam deck users, there is no other way to cut it.
                      liar ... you do not know the absolute numbers of steam accounts. thats why you can not know if the absolut numbers of linux users go down...

but go one lie lie lie...

Comment

Working...
                      X