No announcement yet.

UT3 Linux Is "Slowly Being Worked On"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't figure out why they would bother answering at all- the answer just makes them look worse: if anyone still believed it was coming out, this answer was unnecessary, and for the doubters Epic is asking you to "trust them" that it's still in progress.

Their best hope is to wait until everyone's forgotten about it (again!) and then release the game.

Comment

At this point I half expect the UT4 Linux client to be released before the UT3 client.

Comment

Originally posted by dashcloud View Post
        I can't figure out why they would bother answering at all- the answer just makes them look worse: if anyone still believed it was coming out, this answer was unnecessary, and for the doubters Epic is asking you to "trust them" that it's still in progress.
        I guess someone at Epic thinks it might be worse to just ignore the request, thereby also completely ignoring the linux community. Maybe to preserve what little credibility that's left in the hopes of either actually releasing the client "some day" or release linux clients for future games.

On the other hand, it's not going to raise their credibility either, unless they actually release the client. So if they don't plan on doing it, it's just a waste of everyones time unless they plan on releasing future linux clients (on the presumption that lying is being "better" than ignoring). Either way they have to be planing on releasing something to the linux community, or the whole thing is just really, really pointless (why answer if you don't care?). Which means they must be planing something, or be really stupid. Hopefully they're not stupid, but who knows ...

Comment

the reputation amoung linux users is damaged to the point of no return. Honesty is the best medicine.

epic I never bought your game, now i never will. I wouldnt even consider stealing it. When a canadian says he wouldnt even bother stealing your software, you know you F'd up.

Comment

What if...

I have a theory: What if someone at Epic was cleaning up some files and all of a sudden he hits "rm -rf /" and bang, the whole game sources are gone (of course, they were all in one place, and no backups at all ). The whole matter is classified, and poor Ryan ends up having to code the game all over again.

Comment

Originally posted by jyoshm View Post
              I have a theory: What if someone at Epic was cleaning up some files and all of a sudden he hits "rm -rf /" and bang, the whole game sources are gone (of course, they were all in one place, and no backups at all ). The whole matter is classified, and poor Ryan ends up having to code the game all over again.
              <icculus> If I told you what the specific problem is, you wouldn't believe me
              ... and suddenly it all makes sense ...

Comment

i think that Epic devs have deleted all files on their SVN server and from that when someone would do a check out, the files would be deleted including Icculus' computer.

Comment

It just seems to me that they are intentionally teasing Linux users with no real intention on releasing the Linux port.

Comment

OK, weird reasons for delaying UT3:
                    • One of the middleware companies refuses to sell another license because the CEO was completely owned by a bunch of noobs.
                    • Icculus was found out to be a minor, and is not allowed to work on a Mature-rated game.
                    • Mr Gordon has been reported missing since the Portal Storms began and will not be heard from until 2020.
                    • UT3's awesome menu system depends on Internet Explorer's rendering engine.

Who can think of better ones?

Comment

It does seem ludicrous that this port has taken two years for it to be released, and even now, it's not looking like a very appealing game to play. But...it's still a port, and considering the state of Linux's graphics today (hint: ATI), I could almost understand why it took them a year to get it out out the door.

Unfortunately, I haven't found what the other year of delays is yet.

Just a generic message, anyway - if a game developer wants to have the best chance at making cash with a port, then they really should strike while the iron is hot. We really don't need this turning into another DNF.

Comment

Working...
                      X