The FLOSS ethos and the morality of Cedega

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by christian_frank View Post
    When it comes to gaming, thats simply wrong..
    True, especially when it comes to copy protection scheme's where Trans works with the copy protection issue. More times then not, wine requires use of a "crack" that may violate the DMCA and other similar laws in other countries.

Comment

Originally posted by christian_frank View Post
      When it comes to gaming, thats simply wrong..

I agree with the above statement. I tried lots of combinations to get left 4 dead to work on wine and at 1 point it did run. It was laggy, random crashes and FPS where down in the teens. I tried it in Cedega, everything worked on the first try. I really dont know why people get so upset at Cedega. My point of view, I get to play the games I want to play in Linux, right now I am playing the new prince of persia on it and having a blast. Now I respect everyone opinions and if you dont like the product dont become a member.

I dont feel robbed becoming a member and paying a yearly membership for the program. The reason games change and they need keep changing the codes to make newer game run or if a game gets a patch a new engine needs to be used to solve the issue. I can have all the previous engines installed and sometime older games run better in the older engine then the current one.

Honestly I dont see them as being bad, they keep me of having to install another OS on my Raid 0 just for gaming and I just run 1 OS, Ubuntu 64 9.04.

Comment

I've been able to get almost every game I have to work just fine in Wine with minimal effort.

I used to be a Cedega member, back when it was a one-time purchase, and you just had to be a continuing member for updates. Now that they've made the main software subscription-based, I have no interest at all at any price.

Subscription-based licensing is unacceptable in almost every case. I have no problem with paying for updates, but I have no intention to continue to pay to keep using something I already own...

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          Would you care to give an example of how their advertising violates any potential consumer laws? If anything they are very forward and up front with their products capabilities.
          Since when are their adds upfront and forward? An upfront and forward would have an advert saying that such and such game _may_ work after such and such configuration option is changed and it _may_ or _may__not_ perform well. I have never seen an advertisement from them stating the fact that their product is hit and miss.

Most if not all of their e-mail advertisements I have seen have advertised an "out-of-the-box" experience with "better performance than windows" claims which often are simply not true and amount to lying. This would appear to violate truth in advertising laws.

K-Mart died because of crooked ownership and their inability to modernize their company. They were broke well ahead of any boycott.
          Actually they weren't, but whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
            Since when are their adds upfront and forward? An upfront and forward would have an advert saying that such and such game _may_ work after such and such configuration option is changed and it _may_ or _may__not_ perform well. I have never seen an advertisement from them stating the fact that their product is hit and miss.

Most if not all of their e-mail advertisements I have seen have advertised an "out-of-the-box" experience with "better performance than windows" claims which often are simply not true and amount to lying. This would appear to violate truth in advertising laws.
            Every game that is Cedega supported has a freely accessible rating which tells you what works and what doesn't.

Actually they weren't, but whatever.
            I really would recommend reading Kmart's Ten Deadly Sins: How Incompetence Tainted and American Icon.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              Every game that is Cedega supported has a freely accessible rating which tells you what works and what doesn't.
              Not quite.
              For example the freely accessible rating of Fallout 3 shows that the installer works without issues using Cedega 7.3, while that the game "runs with issues" using Cedega 7.1.
              Non-subscribers can't see which issues the rating is talking about. Browsing the freely readible forums shows a few threads about people not even making it past birth scene or even past the main menu. Might be broken linux drivers or hardware on their machines but that's far from enjoyable.

Comment

Originally posted by a7v-user View Post
                Not quite.
                For example the freely accessible rating of Fallout 3 shows that the installer works without issues using Cedega 7.3, while that the game "runs with issues" using Cedega 7.1.
                Non-subscribers can't see which issues the rating is talking about. Browsing the freely readible forums shows a few threads about people not even making it past birth scene or even past the main menu. Might be broken linux drivers or hardware on their machines but that's far from enjoyable.
                Fallout 3 is not a Cedega certified game.

This game is not Certified. Games without Certification may still work in Cedega. See how other Cedega Gaming Service Member's rated this game in the Community Ratings.

For more information on how to get Fallout 3 working see the Work Arounds section.
                So what is a Cedega Certified Game, click on the (i) link in the certification box.

A Cedega Certified game has been tested by both Cedega Gaming Service staff and the Cedega Beta Team on a wide variety of systems and hardware and is known to work on systems that meet the requirements for Cedega. Cedega Gaming Service Members may request assistance from Support Staff to get Certified games working on their system.
                Cedega Certified games may experience modest working issues on some system setups, distributions, or hardware, however core game functionality is supported for all Members. Check the Games Database pages for more details on known issues.
                Games that are not listed as Cedega Certified are operational at varying levels, but technical support is not available from Cedega support staff. Cedega Community support for all games is available to all Members through a variety of support channels See the Games Database pages for more information on non-Certified games working status and Community reported issues.
                All of this is freely viewable on their site. You don't need to be a member. Like I said they are very up front about what cedega can do.

Comment

just because its a cedega certified game doesnt make the game cedega certified (or something like that). These games break all the time after patches and it can take months to see it fixed (except WoW).

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
                    just because its a cedega certified game doesnt make the game cedega certified (or something like that). These games break all the time after patches and it can take months to see it fixed (except WoW).
                    Yes, but if you subscribe you would also be able to pick the cedega engine to address such issues. Cedega allows you to pick multiple versions of the engine, so if something breaks in a later release you can always revert to an earlier version for that game. Keep in mind that games break all the time as well in windows and it can take months to get those fixed as well. Wine has these issues as well.

Comment

Originally posted by TwistedLincoln View Post
                      I've been able to get almost every game I have to work just fine in Wine with minimal effort.

I used to be a Cedega member, back when it was a one-time purchase, and you just had to be a continuing member for updates. Now that they've made the main software subscription-based, I have no interest at all at any price.

Subscription-based licensing is unacceptable in almost every case. I have no problem with paying for updates, but I have no intention to continue to pay to keep using something I already own...
                      I think i have to clarify some things...

The subscription modell of cedega hasn't changed for the time i'm a subscriber now..

You can subscribe to cedega for 6 or 12 month.
                      If you don't renew your subscription, cedega will still continue to work. But you don't have access to udates or engines anymore...

Comment

Working...
                      X