The FLOSS ethos and the morality of Cedega

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Inversius View Post
    Is it just me or are others concerned about the fact that TransGaming, which has 'borrowed' significantly from the WINE project, is not doing the community any favors? I could probably even swallow their proprietary approach if they just charged a moderate one-off fee for the use of their code, but no, users have to just keep on feeding the coins in the slot as the meter ticks. The very antithesis of FOSS.
    They're not a good company, if you don't like 'em don't use their product. A consumer boycott in this shallow market will damage their business irreparably. Also, If they violate any laws in your country take them to court.

Problems solved.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
      They're not a good company, if you don't like 'em don't use their product. A consumer boycott in this shallow market will damage their business irreparably. Also, If they violate any laws in your country take them to court.

Problems solved.
      Thing is that they have not broken any laws. The fork of wine that they sprouted from is from a MIT-license. With the Cider deals that they are signing it's very unlikely that a boycott of Cedega would have any appreciable damage to TransGaming.

Comment

Or rather than boycotting Cedega, you could support Wine buy buying from CodeWeavers who cooperate with Wine.

Comment

Better idea, do not support non-native solutions at all <.=.<

Comment

Sure, I've nothing against you buying native Linux games. :3 (or rather non-Windows ones; not that I would have anything against you buying Windows games either)
            Last edited by nanonyme; 13 August 2009, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Thing is that they have not broken any laws. The fork of wine that they sprouted from is from a MIT-license.
              I was talking about their advertising that may violate consumer protection laws in some jurisdictions.

With the Cider deals that they are signing it's very unlikely that a boycott of Cedega would have any appreciable damage to TransGaming.
              People said the same thing about the K-Mart boycott, they went into chapter 11 bankruptcy because of it. A boycott that successfully convinced paying members to stop paying for Cedega and move to wine or CxGames would hurt their business.

@nanonyme - That is boycotting Cedega.

Comment

Boycotting implies I'd somehow try to get people not to buy their products and not buy them myself imo. I wasn't encouraging towards that. I mostly noted that Wine benefits from buying CodeWeaver's products and doesn't from buying Cedega's. It's more a matter on whether you care about Wine or not than whether you want to boycott Cedega.

Comment

I was talking about their advertising that may violate consumer protection laws in some jurisdictions.

People said the same thing about the K-Mart boycott, they went into chapter 11 bankruptcy because of it. A boycott that successfully convinced paying members to stop paying for Cedega and move to wine or CxGames would hurt their business.

Would you care to give an example of how their advertising violates any potential consumer laws? If anything they are very forward and up front with their products capabilities.

Even say if you did find such an example in local jurisdiction cases violations are usually met with a full refund of the product to the users that fall in that jurisdiction. Even in extreme cases such as data loss the settlement is more then likely going to result in a extended length of service to those effected customers such as Intuit and Apple's cases of data loss with Quickbooks and Apple's .Me service.

K-Mart died because of crooked ownership and their inability to modernize their company. They were broke well ahead of any boycott.

Comment

well, once upon a time wine was bsd licenced. Transgaming forked and never contributed back, so it was changed to lgpl.
                    Result: todays wine is much better than Transgamings old fork.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
                      well, once upon a time wine was bsd licenced. Transgaming forked and never contributed back, so it was changed to lgpl.
                      Result: todays wine is much better than Transgamings old fork.
                      When it comes to gaming, thats simply wrong..

Comment

Working...
                      X