No announcement yet.

Windows NT Synchronization Primitive Driver For The Linux Kernel Revised

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why both operating systems have these differences? What are the advantages?

I wonder what's the feedback about these patches by LKML and Linus Torvalds himself. What do Linux developers think about ntsync patches?

I wonder if this can be useful outside wine too. PC Emulation?

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
      Hmmm. It might be the same question as why we have such differences between English and German language? What are the advantages?

Somebody might even venture the idea to force all people to switch to Spanish. Why not have only single common language on Earth? Life would be so much more easy... :-) .

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post
        From the presentation it is clear that they haven't found a single game or application that actually uses the parts of the API are not correctly handled by futex2.
        The problem is that futex2 likely can't get upstream because it breaks such things. ntsync can. That's why she's comparing to upstream.

Comment

Mostly backwards compatibility for the windows side. They added a dumb api a long time ago, and now they're stuck with it forever, or until they decide it's ok to break applications.

Comment

I wonder what's the feedback about these patches by LKML and Linus Torvalds himself. What do Linux developers think about ntsync patches?

I wonder if this can be useful outside wine too. PC Emulation?
            zero advantages considering that zero applications and games have been found so far to actually use them.

Comment

Any news anout ntsync? What were the comments on LKML?

Michael Please make at least a short follow-up article when it makes sense about this

Comment

Originally posted by PCJohn View Post
                Hmmm. It might be the same question as why we have such differences between English and German language? What are the advantages?

Somebody might even venture the idea to force all people to switch to Spanish. Why not have only single common language on Earth? Life would be so much more easy... :-) .
                You can't blame them though, and everyone should be forced to use English.

Just like everyone should be forced to use UTF-8 instead of all the other monstrosities like UTF-16.

But it's harder on computers, because of backwards compatibility. You'll still need the APIs anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                  You can't blame them though, and everyone should be forced to use English.
                  I do no understand you. I am not blaming anybody.

Concerning English: try to force me to use it. You cannot. I am free to use any language I know. Even Chinese people are free to use their own language. And there are more Chinese people than people in US. Anyway, you might try to force them to change. Also, part of Africa is French speaking. Try to force them to change their customs. But is it a good idea to force people? Is it good for US people to force Chinese, or Chinese people to force US people?

Comment

Concerning English: try to force me to use it. You cannot. I am free to use any language I know. Even Chinese people are free to use their own language. And there are more Chinese people than people in US. Anyway, you might try to force them to change. Also, part of Africa is French speaking. Try to force them to change their customs. But is it a good idea to force people? Is it good for US people to force Chinese, or Chinese people to force US people?
                    Listen to Hitler speaking to Mannerheim. See if you can draw the line between a modern German and his accent (because he sounds 'normal' contrary to his oratory scenarios)....
                    Hi

Comment

If I was in power I definitely would, and the world would be far better off. I don't care one bit how many people speak any given language. English is the international language for a reason, and those salty whiners need to accept this fact already. People already use it to communicate internationally. Make it the norm everywhere and everything is simplified.

Same with this topic. Look how pathetic Windows is, using UTF-16 for instance, when everything else is UTF-8.

Comment

Working...
                      X