Windows NT Sync Driver Proposed For The Linux Kernel - Better Wine Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

Aren't various drivers essentially modules? You can even dynamically load and unload them with modprobe / rmmod. So how is this any worse?
    I don't think the issue that Wine is trying to solve can be done by drivers/modules/modprobe at least with how Linux is designed.

Comment

Off-topic question:

English is not my native language and I always get confused about the "character" in character device.

Does it has the meaning of "characteristics", like something intrinsic to the device.

Or like character as the letters that make a word, like device character A, B, C

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
        Off-topic question:

English is not my native language and I always get confused about the "character" in character device.

Does it has the meaning of "characteristics", like something intrinsic to the device.

Or like character as the letters that make a word, like device character A, B, C

The actual meaning is more "not a block device" where block devices are disks. But yes, historically the name came from characters-as-letters.

Comment

And the Wine folks are spinning this improvement using games as an example but no real world productive applications?

That loses my interest right there as I do not game.

So the question remains: What is in these improvements for me? Why should I care if these improvements have no obvious benefit to me?

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
            So the question remains: What is in these improvements for me? Why should I care if these improvements have no obvious benefit to me?
            Other windows applications that are heavily using threads and thread synchronization will benefit as well. Some recent games demonstrate that workload best.

Comment

The main problem as I see it is not user space implementation but rather use of RPC for sync objects access.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
                Funny how Windows und Linux are merging. 😄
                I'm happy for them to merge as long as one of the branches remains fully GPL.

Comment

With that device-wide lock ("wait_all_lock"), I imagine there will be objections. I have it, for what it is worth. They are adding a lock that is able to freeze the whole system. It might even have security implications.

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
                    And the Wine folks are spinning this improvement using games as an example but no real world productive applications?

That loses my interest right there as I do not game.

Main character syndrome?

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
                      On the one hand for the obvious performance improvements this should be a yes.

On the other hand, its a bit weird that the Linux kernel is basically turning into a Linux + w/e bespoke features that other unrelated kernels have, essentially because we are running applications designed for other kernel's/OS's within Linux.

You could make an argument that a better way to solve this issue is to have a module system where if you are running something like Wine, it depends on a module that is registered which adds the necessary syscall interface that Wine needs for performance.

However Linux isn't designed to work like this at all and it seems like over time its going to turn into one massive behemoth (if it hasn't already).
                      I don't see any problem in making linux compatible with other OSes.

Design: is it designed at all? Joking apart, how is it designed?

Behemoth: from what point of view? Complexity? LOC? Size of the binary (the size of the totally unoptimized kernel on my PC is now 13MB, I can't tell if it's bad or not)?

Comment

Working...
                      X